5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Radiator/Coolant fluid Leak or discharge

GeorgeA

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram and noticed radiator fluid on the ground under the Driver side front corner of the vehicle. This was during an especially hot day in Northern California (98 degrees)

My truck has a approximately 50K miles.

I cannot see any obvious place where there is a leak or where the fluid would have been discharged. The level in the reservoir was low, so I assume that it did not over flow. The reservoir is also at the opposite end of the engine compartment.

I am planning to pressurize the system and see if I can locate the problem.

Aside from a leak in the radiator is there any other reason for this issue??

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I have a 2020 Ram and noticed radiator fluid on the ground under the Driver side front corner of the vehicle. This was during an especially hot day in Northern California (98 degrees)

My truck has a approximately 50K miles.

I cannot see any obvious place where there is a leak or where the fluid would have been discharged. The level in the reservoir was low, so I assume that it did not over flow. The reservoir is also at the opposite end of the engine compartment.

I am planning to pressurize the system and see if I can locate the problem.

Aside from a leak in the radiator is there any other reason for this issue??
It's possible you had "afterboil" and fluid was expelled from the reservoir and then travelled across a frame channel to drip. If pressure testing doesn't come up with anything, you might have to get down below with a mirror and hunt for traces.

GeorgeA

Reaction score
It's possible you had "afterboil" and fluid was expelled from the reservoir and then travelled across a frame channel to drip. If pressure testing doesn't come up with anything, you might have to get down below with a mirror and hunt for traces.

Thank you for the suggestion. I and performing the pressure test this morning.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Upper radiator hose connects in drivers side and could have leaked down.

GeorgeA

Reaction score
I did a pressure test and thoroughly inspected all the hoses and the radiator itself.

There was no loss of pressure during the the test and no sign of any leaks.

This is a mystery:)

Thanks for the advice from the Forum. If anyone has an idea of what could have caused the leak, I would be interested to hear.

-George

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I did a pressure test and thoroughly inspected all the hoses and the radiator itself.

There was no loss of pressure during the the test and no sign of any leaks.

This is a mystery:)

Thanks for the advice from the Forum. If anyone has an idea of what could have caused the leak, I would be interested to hear.

-George
Test the cap.

I've seen it. The engine doesn't seem to be overheated, but when shut off, the temperature and pressure climb and the cap lets go. And when the pressure drops, so does the boiling point. And that liquid coolant becomes a gas. And then it's not unlike that Sociology major at Starbucks steaming the milk, but doing it full blast. The steam pushes the coolant out of the reservoir. It's like an eruption. And for all the noise and mess, once it all cools down, you may have only lost a few ounces of coolant.

GeorgeA

Reaction score
Test the cap.

I've seen it. The engine doesn't seem to be overheated, but when shut off, the temperature and pressure climb and the cap lets go. And when the pressure drops, so does the boiling point. And that liquid coolant becomes a gas. And then it's not unlike that Sociology major at Starbucks steaming the milk, but doing it full blast. The steam pushes the coolant out of the reservoir. It's like an eruption. And for all the noise and mess, once it all cools down, you may have only lost a few ounces of coolant.
Interesting.

I think I will just buy a new cap and see if that works.

BTW......... I like your meme.

Do you remember who Simon Bar Sinister's sidekick was????

Users who are viewing this thread