5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rack and pinion

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any one have rack and pinion issues? Mine was bad from factory causing tire, balance and vibration issues. They tried new wheels and tires and that didn’t fix the problem. Ordered me a new rack and pinion to be installed next week. Let’s hope that fixes my problems? If anyone is having vibrations or tire issues, have them check your rack. My 4 th trip the dealer before they figured it out.

armymp1130

Reaction score
Any one have rack and pinion issues? Mine was bad from factory causing tire, balance and vibration issues. They tried new wheels and tires and that didn’t fix the problem. Ordered me a new rack and pinion to be installed next week. Let’s hope that fixes my problems? If anyone is having vibrations or tire issues, have them check your rack. My 4 th trip the dealer before they figured it out.
Howd they figure out that it was bad? im having some vibration issues but mine come and go but theres one stretch of highway that everyday it vibrates like crazy

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Howd they figure out that it was bad? im having some vibration issues but mine come and go but theres one stretch of highway that everyday it vibrates like crazy
They put 4 tires and wheels off a new truck and it still did it. Guess I will see after they replace it next week. They tell me I’m stuck with the funny worn tires on the edge, even though it’s been in 4 times in 3800 miles and balanced every time. It’s been out of balance since I’ve owned it. Was just balanced 275 miles ago and out of balance again. Getting worse everyday to where it’s not even fun to drive it

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They put 4 tires and wheels off a new truck and it still did it. Guess I will see after they replace it next week. They tell me I’m stuck with the funny worn tires on the edge, even though it’s been in 4 times in 3800 miles and balanced every time. It’s been out of balance since I’ve owned it. Was just balanced 275 miles ago and out of balance again. Getting worse everyday to where it’s not even fun to drive it
If it happens to be the rack and pinion I would fight for new tires as well. Not your fault a bad part which is covered under warranty caused your tires to wear poorly.

Boston

Reaction score
Worn edge????

Did you buy the truck new or used?

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
was yours vibrating every day or was it random? cause mine is super random
I think the worst vibration was random. I did not feel it the whole time at first. Smooth surface was the worst. I really think I’ve just gotten used to it. I bought it and drove it 1000 home and i think it slowly got worse as it was way out of balance by the time I got home. It has also made my mpg very bad! I see other guys getting 21-22 with exact same engine and gears. 16.5 is my best, that’s driving like a old man speed limit and no passing. I’m guessing that will change once it goes down the road straight??? I think it has a slight vibration at speeds 30-45 even. It’s decently getting worse. The wheels have been removed from that truck 6 times now with only 3900 miles

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
New had 32 miles on it and I’m the only driver!
The outer edge of tires are down past the line on the outer edge, so today I drove on dirt on the side of the road and the outer edge was clean because not even touching the pavement, the outer 1/2” was clean!

armymp1130

Reaction score
I think the worst vibration was random. I did not feel it the whole time at first. Smooth surface was the worst. I really think I’ve just gotten used to it. I bought it and drove it 1000 home and i think it slowly got worse as it was way out of balance by the time I got home. It has also made my mpg very bad! I see other guys getting 21-22 with exact same engine and gears. 16.5 is my best, that’s driving like a old man speed limit and no passing. I’m guessing that will change once it goes down the road straight??? I think it has a slight vibration at speeds 30-45 even. It’s decently getting worse. The wheels have been removed from that truck 6 times now with only 3900 miles
Hmm yeah i get about 19mpg all highway i got 3.21 gears hemi no etorque. But my vibration is usually when i first leave for work and as im driving it gets less and less noticable until that one stretch of highway i was saying where its bad all the time, then when i leave work at 330pm it doesnt vibrate at all so im thinking mine is tires cause i feel like when it warms up outside it doesnt do it as bad

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmm yeah i get about 19mpg all highway i got 3.21 gears hemi no etorque. But my vibration is usually when i first leave for work and as im driving it gets less and less noticable until that one stretch of highway i was saying where its bad all the time, then when i leave work at 330pm it doesnt vibrate at all so im thinking mine is tires cause i feel like when it warms up outside it doesnt do it as bad
Same here.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
did they ever replace the rack and pinion?
Yes they did, also alignment. I told them to rebalance the tires again because I drove it with the bad rack which was throwing the balance off. Service manager says we found and fixed the problem and it has nothing to do with balance. Keep in mind truck has been rebalanced 5 times in 4000 miles. After my third time back for the rack replacement, because they had to order different bolts as I was told couldn’t get the originals in right???? I told him it still has a vibration. Service manager tells me there is nothing more they can do for me. To call Star and let them figure it out So I guess that’s what I do. I’m sure a new ram does not drive as bad as mine with 4000 miles on it! So frustrating!

armymp1130

Reaction score
Yes they did, also alignment. I told them to rebalance the tires again because I drove it with the bad rack which was throwing the balance off. Service manager says we found and fixed the problem and it has nothing to do with balance. Keep in mind truck has been rebalanced 5 times in 4000 miles. After my third time back for the rack replacement, because they had to order different bolts as I was told couldn’t get the originals in right???? I told him it still has a vibration. Service manager tells me there is nothing more they can do for me. To call Star and let them figure it out So I guess that’s what I do. I’m sure a new ram does not drive as bad as mine with 4000 miles on it! So frustrating!
so did it fix the vibration

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The new rack and pinion did not fix my issues! Now the tell me my front axles are bad!

Users who are viewing this thread