5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

quick oil change plug

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You are a staff member, add us a thread for Mopar projects we own. I have a 73, stalled project, until I get all missing parts. But this is a different thread.
There is a "what else is in your garage" thread. As far as adding sub-sections, that's above my pay grade. I don't have the juice.

spyder

Reaction score
I'll jump on the what else is in your garage one next time I'm on the computer!

spyder

Reaction score
Just did an oil and filter change on my '21 Rebel. Took me about 11 minutes, after grabbing one ratchet and one socket and one funnel and one rag and one oil catch pan and setting them next to the truck. No jackstands, no jack.

Not one drop of oil wound up on my driveway. Not one drop of oil wound up in the electrical system.

It took longer to pour the oil from the pan back in to the jug to be able to take it to town to recycle, than it it did to drain the oil and change the filter.

I still don't understand what is so difficult about this.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just did an oil and filter change on my '21 Rebel. Took me about 11 minutes, after grabbing one ratchet and one socket and one funnel and one rag and one oil catch pan and setting them next to the truck. No jackstands, no jack.

Not one drop of oil wound up on my driveway. Not one drop of oil wound up in the electrical system.

It took longer to pour the oil from the pan back in to the jug to be able to take it to town to recycle, than it it did to drain the oil and change the filter.

I still don't understand what is so difficult about this.
Feel sorry for your truck if you only spent 11 minutes on an old change. Might as well take it to jiffy lube. But then again, when I change get my oil I let it drain at least 30 minutes to get as much of old oil out as I can, and take my time to clean up/inspect other areas, check other fluids...

spyder

Reaction score
:LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Well, if I was doing an "oil and filter change and other fluids and everything else clean up/inspect other areas" day, I would have written that. Wait, aren't you worried about bees flying in the open drain plug hole, as well and dust and sand getting blown in with the wind, if you leave it open that long?!? The humanity!!!

I tend to not bother polishing the undercarriage of an off road truck that's parked on a mud road and needs 4wd just to get to town. That would be a silly waste of time and effort, when, before going a full truck length further, it's going to be dripping mud again.

I still don't understand why people have so much difficulty with one of the simplest oil and filter services out there.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I still don't understand why people have so much difficulty with one of the simplest oil and filter services out there.
Reading this just 100% confirms you are trolling or this is the first car\truck you have ever done an oil change on.

spyder

Reaction score
Reading this just 100% confirms you are trolling or this is the first car\truck you have ever done an oil change on.
Reading this just 100% confirms you are trolling or that you shouldn't be allowed to handle tools.

Take out the drain plug. Unscrew the filter. Put the new filter back in. Put the drain plug back in. Put new oil in.
What...what is so difficult for people? I am truly confused why so many people think that it is so difficult. There's less crap in the way, more space to work, and easier access than my 360k mile Cummins, any of the Chevys I've had in my work fleet, the Impala that's in the driveway, the Cadillac I put a couple hundred thousand miles on, or the majority of the other dozens of rigs I've had in the last 40 years. The Challenger that's in the driveway has less stuff in the way and more room around the 440, but the filter is turned sideways and spills oil on the K frame. But literally eight seconds with a rag solves that problem.

Some people really shouldn't be allowed to touch a toolbox if they're complaining about an oil change on one of these trucks. :rolleyes::LOL:

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Reading this just 100% confirms you are trolling or that you shouldn't be allowed to handle tools.

Take out the drain plug. Unscrew the filter. Put the new filter back in. Put the drain plug back in. Put new oil in.
What...what is so difficult for people? I am truly confused why so many people think that it is so difficult. There's less crap in the way, more space to work, and easier access than my 360k mile Cummins, any of the Chevys I've had in my work fleet, the Impala that's in the driveway, the Cadillac I put a couple hundred thousand miles on, or the majority of the other dozens of rigs I've had in the last 40 years. The Challenger that's in the driveway has less stuff in the way and more room around the 440, but the filter is turned sideways and spills oil on the K frame. But literally eight seconds with a rag solves that problem.

Some people really shouldn't be allowed to touch a toolbox if they're complaining about an oil change on one of these trucks. :rolleyes::LOL:

1,000,000 % agree
I change my oil in 15 mins or so with no spills, the most difficult part about an oil change on this truck is finding PUP oil anywhere local

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Not a si glad person is saying it's "difficult". Changing oil is easy, no matter what vehicle you have. But there is no way in hell you are just "unscrewing the filter, dropping it, and putting new one on without getting oil all over the steering rack and cross member. Unless you have a 2wd.

As far as inspecting and cleaning other parts of the truck. I see a vehicle is just a means of getting from A to B for you and nothing more. Surprised you take the time to even do your own oil changes. I suppose you never wash the truck because it's just going to get dirty as soon as you start driving again. Just let the dirt and mud stay caked up under the truck, stuck in the rockers, and fender wells.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not a si glad person is saying it's "difficult". Changing oil is easy, no matter what vehicle you have. But there is no way in hell you are just "unscrewing the filter, dropping it, and putting new one on without getting oil all over the steering rack and cross member. Unless you have a 2wd.

As far as inspecting and cleaning other parts of the truck. I see a vehicle is just a means of getting from A to B for you and nothing more. Surprised you take the time to even do your own oil changes. I suppose you never wash the truck because it's just going to get dirty as soon as you start driving again. Just let the dirt and mud stay caked up under the truck, stuck in the rockers, and fender wells.
I wonder if this is why he says it's so easy.
He claims he needs 4wd to "just get into his town"
The entire bottom of his truck is covered in mud and turned to clay, so it the electrical plugs and other items directly below the filter don't get oil on them, because they are solid clay?

That's the only way I can figure.
Or maybe he flips his truck upside down to change the filter? zero gravity chair (lift) style

Lets see his list
Maybe he can show us which one is worse then the 5.7 ram 1500 4wd version wen it comes with ease of preventing or cleaning oil that gets everywhere.

There's less crap in the way, more space to work, and easier access than my 360k mile Cummins, any of the Chevys I've had in my work fleet, the Impala that's in the driveway, the Cadillac I put a couple hundred thousand miles on, or the majority of the other dozens of rigs I've had in the last 40 years. The Challenger that's in the driveway has less stuff in the way and more room around the 440, but the filter is turned sideways and spills oil on the K frame.
This is 2014-2018 Impala, oil filter next to pan, nothing even close to being in the way
1688684009923.png

Not sure what Chevy you have so I can list a few
Silverado 1500, nothing under plug or filter
1688684336836.png

Chevy Camaro again nothing under plug or filter.
1688684518173.png

Chevy express I don't see anything under that filter except an oil drip tray.
1688684739872.png

Cadillac CTS first gen 3.6 It's upside down, so there will not even be any oil to drip down into things
1688684683271.png

It's very hard to find any picture's of Ram 1500 with a 5.7 oil filter and the only ones I can find are people that installed an oil filter relocation kit.
Here are some pictures of a video of someone else doing it.

1688685253052.png
1688685227002.png
Here's another angle, this guys bag method didn't work very well and he got it all over his plugs and wrap also.
1688685545260.png
1688685598250.png

BowDown

Reaction score
Seems like maybe you should be driving a GM then.
Just because you cant do something or find it difficult doesn't mean everyone else fails at it or finds it difficult as well.
Its funny to watch some, darksteel, make personal insults, condescending comments and call people trolls because he cannot do something; seems like rules only apply to some huh husk?

ETA. By difficult, I'm pretty sure he meant not difficult to not spill oil.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Anything seems simple after changing the oil filters on the last gen 6.7L Cummins.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just because you cant do something or find it difficult doesn't mean everyone else fails at it or finds it difficult as well.
Its funny to watch some, darksteel, make personal insults, condescending comments and call people trolls because he cannot do something; seems like rules only apply to some huh husk?

There have been condescending comments from all side in this thread. Admin and moderators here try not to be heavy handed unless there are complaints/reports. And even those are treated in a case by case basis. If it offends you, use the report feature. Someone will be with you shortly. I try to avoid making moderator decisions on any reports against me. And there have been several

BowDown

Reaction score
There have been condescending comments from all side in this thread. Admin and moderators here try not to be heavy handed unless there are complaints/reports. And even those are treated in a case by case basis. If it offends you, use the report feature. Someone will be with you shortly. I try to avoid making moderator decisions on any reports against me. And there have been several

I'm not offended by anything, just curious as to why some things are let go...

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not offended by anything, just curious as to why some things are let go...

I kinda like it.

As soon as someone raises the BullS**t flag. It’s fun to see em get deeper and deeper in the S**t.

The true colors come out. 😁

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Feel sorry for your truck if you only spent 11 minutes on an old change. Might as well take it to jiffy lube. But then again, when I change get my oil I let it drain at least 30 minutes to get as much of old oil out as I can, and take my time to clean up/inspect other areas, check other fluids...
I do this x2 - now I am timing my oil change along with my dad 05 grand cherokee - I just do it on a day with not much or anything plan and let it drain for a while. Inspect other fluids and quick look underneath, joints, etc
the cherokee has a oil drain slide built into the frame just under the oil filter and with no wires or anything around - its a cleaner job
the ram on the other hand its a little annoying - maybe a better word than difficult - the 1st and only time I did the service at the dealer they left a mess - oil all over the oem skid plates that later started dripping into the floor at home and also oil at the harness around the filter -
So after I installed a cat skid plate I just started doing my own - I figure even if I dropped a little oil it will be a lot cleaner than the dealer - and less expensive - also added a fumoto valve

spyder

Reaction score
Anything seems simple after changing the oil filters on the last gen 6.7L Cummins.
The fuel filter on my 6.7 was far more of a pain in the rear than the oil filter on this 5.7, and it most definitely did spill fuel everywhere. But...that's what rags and catch pans are for.

spyder

Reaction score

There's plenty of things I can't do that other people can do easily. I don't get pissy at them about it. I tend to want to learn, to make my life easier. Not everyone wants to get better at things I suppose. I'd gladly teach everyone here who has trouble with their oil changes how to spin off a filter and a drain plug, and how to spin them back on. I could probably even do it one handed in the dark, without making a mess.

Users who are viewing this thread