5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

quick oil change plug

spyder

Reaction score
I wonder if this is why he says it's so easy.
He claims he needs 4wd to "just get into his town"
The entire bottom of his truck is covered in mud and turned to clay, so it the electrical plugs and other items directly below the filter don't get oil on them, because they are solid clay?

That's the only way I can figure.
Or maybe he flips his truck upside down to change the filter? zero gravity chair (lift) style

Lets see his list
Maybe he can show us which one is worse then the 5.7 ram 1500 4wd version wen it comes with ease of preventing or cleaning oil that gets everywhere.
I say it's easy because...well...it's easy. Spin off, spin on. Eight (that's less than ten) seconds with a rag to wipe off the quarter or so ounce that hit the bar under the drain plug, and I'm done. Bring your truck by if you'd like, and I'll show you how. Lefty loosey, righty tighty.

Funny story, I have flipped a truck on its side to make welding on it easier. Not completely upside down though.

What "list" are we talking about? You mean vehicles that make more of a mess, or are more difficult to do an incredibly simple oil and filter service on? I already mentioned a few. The 440 in particular likes to spill, seeing as how the oil filter is horizontal to the ground...but it still isn't difficult, same as changing the oil on my Rebel with 5.7 and 4wd is no more difficult than cleaning the windshield or replacing windshield wipers. I guess I don't know how to help you.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There's plenty of things I can't do that other people can do easily. I don't get pissy at them about it. I tend to want to learn, to make my life easier. Not everyone wants to get better at things I suppose. I'd gladly teach everyone here who has trouble with their oil changes how to spin off a filter and a drain plug, and how to spin them back on. I could probably even do it one handed in the dark, without making a mess.
That I'd like to see.

barrak

Reaction score
I'm not overly concerned about waiting long enough until the last possible drip. Most automotive fluid drains are partial anyway and what old fluid is left gets diluted by the fresh fluid. Examples: Transmission pans trap some fluid unless dropped; Engine blocks trap some coolant unless thermostats are removed, and even that might not be enough for some engines.

My aversion to dealers performing routine services is not caused by them rushing through a fluid drain. Rather, it is due to the too common unpredictable negligence. Examples (all experienced by me): Damaged hub studs and warped rotors due to cross threading and over-torqueing; Leaking oil on hot exhausts due to missing or repeatedly used drain plug washers; Intermittent electronic parking brake malfunctions due to damaged electrical connectors. Rattling skid plates due to missing or mangled fasteners.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've changed the oil on many vehicles and many times on my RAM, and while it's not the easiest, it's not the hardest or messiest.

I actually look forward to changing the oil on my truck, got lots of room, with a few basic techniques it's nice and clean.

Essentially my big tips is two things. Leaving the oil fill cap on tight (along with the dip stick) for the initial part of the drain. The oil, even hot, will come on slower and more controlled. When it hits the sway bar, hardly any splash. Make sure to have a deep 10 quart oil pan, not one of those shallow enclosed container ones that will splash easier.

For the oil filter, I just use the two zip lock bag method. The first bag catches the initial oil after unscrewing, then slip that one off and put on the 2nd bag, which gets the rest of the oil and holds the filter. Leave a small pan next to you to drop off the dirty bags.

Scram1500

Reaction score
I just use an extendable magnet as I'm taking out the bolt the magnet grabs the bolt.
I use a magnetic drain plug from Gold Plug LLC. I've discovered if it slips from your fingers it will jump to the pan or sway bar.

Dewey

Reaction score
The Oil Udder has a magnet inside it and captures the drain plug. No mess. No dropping plug. No gloves needed.
Never saw the need to use it for draining oil from the pan. The magnet is to hold it up to the filter.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Never saw the need to use it for draining oil from the pan. The magnet it to hold it up to the filter.
It's awkard to just hold the funnel up there too.
I make a canoe with aluminum foil and put it on the cross member.

I am not due for an oil change but I purchased this and tested it with a hose and water to see if it would splash or make a mess and it seemed to work really really well.

spyder

Reaction score
Just changed the oil in my truck. Took 17 minutes from the time I rolled up the shop door to get oil pan and wrench, to when I was checking the dipstick to make sure my 7 quarts was accurate. Another, maybe, 4 minutes to clean up the drain pain I used and put the now-filled-with-dirty-oil jugs in the dumpster. No crazy plastic ziplock bags or aftermarket crap. Just an adjustable wrench and a drain pan and a funnel, and an extra sweatshirt since it was snowing outside and I didn't want to pull the Challenger out of the shop to make room for the truck.

I still have NO clue why so many people think this is so difficult.

BowDown

Reaction score
Just changed the oil in my truck. Took 17 minutes from the time I rolled up the shop door to get oil pan and wrench, to when I was checking the dipstick to make sure my 7 quarts was accurate. Another, maybe, 4 minutes to clean up the drain pain I used and put the now-filled-with-dirty-oil jugs in the dumpster. No crazy plastic ziplock bags or aftermarket crap. Just an adjustable wrench and a drain pan and a funnel, and an extra sweatshirt since it was snowing outside and I didn't want to pull the Challenger out of the shop to make room for the truck.

Watch out, there's some that get pissy when you have an uneventful oil change.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Nobody thinks it's "difficult" just messy with the oil filter, unless you have a 2wd.

And if you re changing your oil at home, why not let it drain longer? I usually let mine drain for at least 1/2 hour to get more of the old oil out. I'm never in a rush to do any oil change. It's not a race

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

Has a shop, puts filled oil containers in a dumpster, lives in California.
Let me guess your truck isn't even a 4x4 and is only 2wd also?
Trolling much?

Users who are viewing this thread