5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick check item recommendations at walk around

Jdn609

Reaction score
I didn’t see this in a search, so thought I would ask if anyone could help me out with a list of items to check out prior to signing for my new truck in a few days? It’s a couple hour drive one way, and I was hoping to check all the boxes off prior to writing the check and pulling away... thanks in advance!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I didn’t see this in a search, so thought I would ask if anyone could help me out with a list of items to check out prior to signing for my new truck in a few days? It’s a couple hour drive one way, and I was hoping to check all the boxes off prior to writing the check and pulling away... thanks in advance!
Here’s the delivery checklist @firecadet613 shared last year:

Jdn609

Reaction score
Here’s the delivery checklist @firecadet613 shared last year:
Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it. If you know of any specific issues, I’d appreciate that also. I am going to verify water leaks, 12” screen works/syncs to phone, and no odd grinding/clunky noises from steering/rear diff... those seem to be common items....

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it. If you know of any specific issues, I’d appreciate that also. I am going to verify water leaks, 12” screen works/syncs to phone, and no odd grinding/clunky noises from steering/rear diff... those seem to be common items....
When I took delivery, I had a couple of very minor cosmetic flaws and (strangely) neither of my rear seats would recline. Everything else seemed to work, including all electronics that I tested (A/C, adaptive cruise, power-adjustable pedals, power seats, wipers, sunroof, stereo, etc.). Mind you, I didn't have the opportunity to fully test the H/K or USB ports until I got home...just too much to do in a short amount of time. I also tested the air suspension heights with switches and fob, drove the truck and observed the braking performance with eTorque, and even stuck my head underneath to ensure the axle had a 3.92 sticker on it. I also inspected the window sticker very closely to ensure it matched my ordered options, but of course I did this in advance online (build sheet, too).

Despite my best efforts, I discovered one or two minor issues post-delivery. One was the fact that the front air dam (fixed on mine with ORG) was roughed up and a little tattered at both front corners, probably from transit. The other was a very soft ding (only visible at a certain angle) at the bottom edge of the front passenger door that might have also been a transport issue. The dealership promptly replaced the air dam and had their PDR guy make the tiny ding disappear.

Best of luck with yours!

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check the payload sticker (inside the driver’s door jamb). Be sure it’s enough for your needs. The more options and equipment you have, the lower the payload capacity.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Look for paint with a lot of Orange Peel; if it has it then find another truck. Also, look for door edge and fender alignment. My dealership has been able to fix all of the mechanical and electrical issues my truck had; but they won't fix the paint and they can't fix the door alignment. If you see bad paint and panel alignment; you better make sure that you can live with it.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It may be difficult to fully check, depending on where you're located and the outside temp now that Fall is here. But a lot us on here have poorly performing ACs. That may not be a big deal for those who live up north, but here in Central Texas, it's not good. A lot of us clamp off the heater hose during the summer months which results in the vent temp being significantly lower and the AC acceptable.

Good luck and enjoy that new beast.

borden72

Reaction score
Scratches, dings and other paint flaws.
Rear window rattles, discolored headliner do to water leak.
A/C performance.
Make sure everything works.
No flaws in interior.
Any wind/road noise/rattles.

There may be more but that's a good start.

Jdn609

Reaction score
Look for paint with a lot of Orange Peel; if it has it then find another truck. Also, look for door edge and fender alignment. My dealership has been able to fix all of the mechanical and electrical issues my truck had; but they won't fix the paint and they can't fix the door alignment. If you see bad paint and panel alignment; you better make sure that you can live with it.
Thanks... only prob is I special ordered. So not sure I can just “look for another”... guessing worse case they keep my $1k ordering fee.???!

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe just get the extended warranty for the peace of mind and enjoy your new truck?
(I choose not to, will see how that pans out)

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe just get the extended warranty for the peace of mind and enjoy your new truck?
(I choose not to, will see how that pans out)
I chose not to get the extended warranty as well. Hopefully I won't need it. My thoughts on extended warranties have changed recently since my daughter was in an accident that totaled her car. The insurance company only gives you car value. Insurance companies don't compensate for dealer fees, taxes, registration fees, or warranties when a car is totaled.

Users who are viewing this thread