5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question: Why do some dealers delete the spray in bed liner?

RedFred

Reaction score
Some of the Limited models that I have seen, have the spray in bed liner deleted. It deducts $200 from the options list, but I find this annoying that so many of the trucks I am searching, are missing the spray in bed liner while it is supposed to be a standard item on the Limited's. Is there any reason why a dealer would order the truck this way? I can't figure it out. Are there some that don't want the spray in liner? What am I missing?

Last edited:

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Some of the Limited models that I have seen, have the spray in bed liner deleted. It deducts $200 from the options list, but I find this annoying that so many of the trucks I am searching, are missing the spray in bed liner while it is supposed to be a standard item on the Limited's. Is there any reason why a dealer would order the truck this way? I can't figure it out. Are them some that don't want the spray in liner? What am I missing?
i can not answer that
I find it really weird that dealers are doing this
another reason to order what you want

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Some of the Limited models that I have seen, have the spray in bed liner deleted. It deducts $200 from the options list, but I find this annoying that so many of the trucks I am searching, are missing the spray in bed liner while it is supposed to be a standard item on the Limited's. Is there any reason why a dealer would order the truck this way? I can't figure it out. Are there some that don't want the spray in liner? What am I missing?
What makes you believe it’s the dealers that are deleting them? My first guess would be that the factory is deleting it and providing a credit. I haven’t heard of a shortage on the spray-in material for about a year, but I suppose it could be a “thing” again.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
if it only deducts $200 and they can sell it as an add on at point of sale for double the price, maybe?

Reactions: @JC

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only reason I have heard is they can get the trucks faster without it since it does not have to go to the vender at a separate location from the plant. That said I ordered my truck back in 2018 with a spray on liner and I got the truck in less then 4 weeks.

RedFred

Reaction score
What makes you believe it’s the dealers that are deleting them? My first guess would be that the factory is deleting it and providing a credit. I haven’t heard of a shortage on the spray-in material for about a year, but I suppose it could be a “thing” again.
Really, I don't know. I just assumed it was the way the dealer was ordering them. But like you said, it could be the factory deleting it. Just guessing right now, unless someone has an answer.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Really, I don't know. I just assumed it was the way the dealer was ordering them. But like you said, it could be the factory deleting it. Just guessing right now, unless someone has an answer.
I can’t think of a good reason that a dealer would delete the bedliner - unless they had a customer that specifically wanted the right to scratch the bed paint without interference.
I’m 99.9% sure this is a factory deletion.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's cheaper that way and a lot of people don't want it. You can always add it locally and support local business.

@JC

Reaction score
Only reason I have heard is they can get the trucks faster without it since it does not have to go to the vender at a separate location from the plant. That said I ordered my truck back in 2018 with a spray on liner and I got the truck in less then 4 weeks.
The body vendor is literally on the same grounds as the plant. I mean sure it can take a couple of days but it's not weeks or months.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ya...minus $200...what a joke, try and get a bed spray for $200 somewhere.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I suspect its based on the accessories spray station where they add the bedliner doesn't have the capacity, and by ordering a truck without it, they can get them faster.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's a question I asked on one of my visits to the local dealership. Some buyers prefer a specific aftermarket bed liner brand over the factory one. One local company offers their bed liner in different colors if you don't want it to be black, or if you want to have it color matched to your truck.

RedFred

Reaction score
Ordered mine without..wanted a Bedrug.
You have a Limited? Did you actually delete the spray in liner or you just ordered another trim and didn't opt for the spray in liner? Also, couldn't you install a Bedrug over the spray in liner?

Edit: Monkin, I saw one of your old posts where you said you had a BigHorn. I am referring to why dealers delete it, when it is already standard on that trim level.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I suspect its based on the accessories spray station where they add the bedliner doesn't have the capacity, and by ordering a truck without it, they can get them faster.

This.

Vendor accessories (liner, bed steps, tube steps, etc.) all add time to the build.

One (small) issue most don't think about is payload sticker. I suspect the BL and off-site accessories are factored into the available payload when the truck is final weighed and stickered but I have no evidence to back up that claim.

Users who are viewing this thread