5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question - The Practicality of "Poke"

Grouper

Reaction score
I've never been much for aftermarket wheels but I'm thinking of perhaps moving a bit outside my comfort zone. I've been looking at a million pictures and I like the looks of some setups I've seen combining 20x10 -25 wheels with either 305/55's or 295/60's.

20x10's with negative 25 offset seem to stick out beyond the wheel-well an inch or so. I'm wondering how badly a setup like this kicks-up road grime and grit onto the paint and body?

I guess I'm not so concerned about the truck getting dirty; dirt can be washed off. I'm mostly concerned about rock chips and other damage to the paint/body from whatever might get kicked up. The truck will rarely be off pavement.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Cryan11

Reaction score
I've never been much for aftermarket wheels but I'm thinking of perhaps moving a bit outside my comfort zone. I've been looking at a million pictures and I like the looks of some setups I've seen combining 20x10 -25 wheels with either 305/55's or 295/60's.

20x10's with negative 25 offset seem to stick out beyond the wheel-well an inch or so. I'm wondering how badly a setup like this kicks-up road grime and grit onto the paint and body?

I guess I'm not so concerned about the truck getting dirty; dirt can be washed off. I'm mostly concerned about rock chips and other damage to the paint/body from whatever might get kicked up. The truck will rarely be off pavement.

Thoughts? Experiences?
Speaking from past experiences vs now. I had an excessive amount of poke (~8") on my last truck. Rocks were all over the side and issues with hubs and suspension riding rough. This time around I only did negative 19 offset and it rides really smooth! Everything is still as it should and the truck stayed cleaner longer! I would suggest a -19 if you can find it because I have a very small bit of rub in reverse with mine on 305/55r20 right now. I am also on 20x10! Here's some pics for reference! Good luck, post some pictures when you get it all set up! 20201013_170748.jpg 20201013_170729.jpg 20201013_170737.jpg IMG_20191007_152929_01.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

DirtNazzty

Reaction score

Thoughts? Experiences?
I'm extremely anal especially when it comes to my truck! I had a 6" lift with -12 (20x10) wheels on my '13 Laramie and I felt they didn't poke out far enough so I sold the wheels and bought a set of 20x10 with a -24 offset and it made the truck look sooo much better! The -24 was the perfect amount of pop to give the truck a more slightly aggressive stance and I felt looked way better than the -12. As mentioned I'm extremely anal and I had no problems at all with rock chips and the tires def stuck out an inch or 2 from the flares on my wheel wells! If and when I rarely ever did drive in gravel I made sure to go slow like under 20-25 mph and when I traded my truck in on my new 5th Gen the '13 didn't have a single rock chip scratch or any "flaw" on it from those wheels what so ever. My truck did get dirty alot quicker with the more aggressive wheels on it, but I also detail cars for a living so I always stayed on top of keeping my truck washed, waxed and the occasional clay bar to keep the paint clean and protected! Everyone always gave me **** for how clean my truck always was even with the bigger wheels and offset so it's very manageable and you mentioned you rarely ever drive on gravel so you will have no problems. The "worst" part of the -24 offset was when it would rain it definitely slopped the rain and grime off the road down the side of the truck instead of up into the wheel wells, but super easy to keep clean if you're like me and wash your truck all the time!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Grouper

Reaction score
Speaking from past experiences vs now. I had an excessive amount of poke (~8") on my last truck. Rocks were all over the side and issues with hubs and suspension riding rough. This time around I only did negative 19 offset and it rides really smooth! Everything is still as it should and the truck stayed cleaner longer! I would suggest a -19 if you can find it because I have a very small bit of rub in reverse with mine on 305/55r20 right now. I am also on 20x10! Here's some pics for reference! Good luck, post some pictures when you get it all set up! View attachment 71801

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Although I wrote that dirt washes off, that last photo looks like a nightmare from a practicality standpoint. I wouldn't consider going with such an extreme setup. Hopefully, -24 won't yield as much road grime as pictured.

Regarding the rub in reverse, your current truck is leveled?

The wheels I'm interested in (Method 605 NV) are only available in -24 in 20x10. They are available in -12, but only in 20x9.

I'm extremely anal especially when it comes to my truck! I had a 6" lift with -12 (20x10) wheels on my '13 Laramie and I felt they didn't poke out far enough so I sold the wheels and bought a set of 20x10 with a -24 offset and it made the truck look sooo much better! The -24 was the perfect amount of pop to give the truck a more slightly aggressive stance and I felt looked way better than the -12. As mentioned I'm extremely anal and I had no problems at all with rock chips and the tires def stuck out an inch or 2 from the flares on my wheel wells! If and when I rarely ever did drive in gravel I made sure to go slow like under 20-25 mph and when I traded my truck in on my new 5th Gen the '13 didn't have a single rock chip scratch or any "flaw" on it from those wheels what so ever. My truck did get dirty a lot quicker with the more aggressive wheels on it, but I also detail cars for a living so I always stayed on top of keeping my truck washed, waxed and the occasional clay bar to keep the paint clean and protected! Everyone always gave me **** for how clean my truck always was even with the bigger wheels and offset so it's very manageable and you mentioned you rarely ever drive on gravel so you will have no problems. The "worst" part of the -24 offset was when it would rain it definitely slopped the rain and grime off the road down the side of the truck instead of up into the wheel wells, but super easy to keep clean if you're like me and wash your truck all the time!

Thanks for the thorough reply. I guess I'll have to give some thought as to whether I'm willing to accept the pitfalls of form over function.

Last edited:

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're going to get road grime. A lot of it. All the way up your doors. I did not offroad for the mud in this picture, it's just from the dirty road and a small puddle that I can't avoid hit at 15 mph. Notice how my step bars prevented most of the mud from hitting the door.

18x9 0 offset, and my wheels barely stick outside of my fender flares. The tread actually does not extend past the flares. Your wheels will be ~1.5" farther out than mine.

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 77

Cryan11

Reaction score
Although I wrote that dirt washes off, that last photo looks like a nightmare from a practicality standpoint. I wouldn't consider going with such an extreme setup. Hopefully, -24 won't yield as much road grime as pictured.

Regarding the rub in reverse, your current truck is leveled?

The wheels I'm interested (Method 605 NV) in are only available in -24 in 20x10. They are available in -12, but only in 20x9.

Thanks for the thorough reply. I guess I'll have to give some thought as to whether I'm willing to accept the pitfalls of form over function.
I took it a little extreme with my last truck lol. I do get a little rub in reverse but it's only when I am at an angle. I don't get anything in parking lots or flat ground in the full lock in either direction. I work at a stockyard so muddy and rocky and wet nasty water is always in the future. So far I am loving the set up I have now! I have seen trucks with a 2" level clear -24 offset but its rare, and most have the ORP. I don't have that package and only went with a 2" level, I wanted to keep the UCAs as level as I could!

ScottChurch

Reaction score
I run a 20x10 -19 wheel with a 33x12.5 tire and it has been functional for me. I’ve had no issues with chips from it kicking rocks up. Strangely enough the only chip I have from a rock getting kicked up is from when I was still on stock wheels/tires.

I have no rubbing and did no trimming, but I am on a 3.5” lift. 71749235-2598-447F-8183-5C006ADBEA30.jpeg 4B5483F7-AFB3-453C-981F-0CB4C8C512C7.jpeg

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m running a 20x10 -19 wheel and even though mine sticks out, I don’t get rocks being thrown along the sides.

PorBoy

Reaction score
I run a 20x10 -19 wheel with a 33x12.5 tire and it has been functional for me. I’ve had no issues with chips from it kicking rocks up. Strangely enough the only chip I have from a rock getting kicked up is from when I was still on stock wheels/tires.

I have no rubbing and did no trimming, but I am on a 3.5” lift. View attachment 71857 View attachment 71858
I’m reading this correctly right, you’re running 33x12.50 tires ?

ScottChurch

Reaction score
Care to share what brand tires you are running please ?
Of course, they are a Delinte DX-9 Bandit MT. I went with them largely due to their weight. I put a lot of miles on my truck so I didn’t want to increase rotational mass more than necessary.

ScottChurch

Reaction score
That is extremely wise, how are they noise wise ?
Both me and wife think that they aren’t too noisy for being a full mud tire. I had Toyo MTs on my previous truck and I would say these are slightly louder.

PorBoy

Reaction score
Oh cool, I really want to get away from 12.50 wide tires so I’m looking towards grabbing a set of 11.50

ScottChurch

Reaction score
Oh cool, I really want to get away from 12.50 wide tires so I’m looking towards grabbing a set of 11.50
I would definitely give the Delinte’s a look then; although I don’t remember if they have them in an 11.50 wide.

PorBoy

Reaction score
I will, just definitely don’t want anymore 12.50 tires unless I have wider fender flares lol.

Users who are viewing this thread