5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question regarding weight in Truck bed:

Boyvan

Reaction score
My 2nd winter in a pickup truck so still getting used to it. Question regarding weight in Truck bed:

My truck bed is normally empty but in colder months I put couple of sand / salt bag (125 lbs in total) for better traction and weight distribution.

Perhaps its Psychological but I feel even on dry days / dry roads, handling improves overall, when there is bit of weight in truck bed. I feel truck is more planted on the road especially when turning.

So just wondering is it just me or does putting a bit of weight improves handling in general? Of course, other factors such as tires, etc. matter however just referring to weight distribution as opposed to empty bed.

Thanks

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
I think you're correct, In my experience my truck does seem to hold the road a little better when hauling something light back there. Had a few hundred pounds of tractor tires in the bed and she felt very planted.

Boyvan

Reaction score
If weight does improve handling then would appreciate suggestions as to what can I safely put in the bed without it sliding around. Dont want to keep sand / salt bags.....year round in the back.

Sdhills

Reaction score
I used to throw 80 lbs. of softener salt in my ford during the winter for better traction. However, with my Ram that has a 33 gal. tank that I try to keep full in the winter, I'm hauling nearly 200 lbs. of fuel over the wheels. IMO adding any weight is just killing fuel mileage.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've noticed no difference in handling between no load and a light load, but I'm not running a slalom race course and have 4 wheel drive that provides adequate traction in the snow. However, I do notice a difference in mpg with added weight in the bed.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Of course adding weight will improve the feel of the ride. There's no weight in the back so the rear will bounce around easier on bumps and just overall feel. A little weight will dampen the bounce some, causing it to feel smoother.

This was also GMs fix for their frame shake issue for many years. Add a little weight and it absorbs the vibration, causing the ride to be smoother.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2nd winter in a pickup truck so still getting used to it. Question regarding weight in Truck bed:

My truck bed is normally empty but in colder months I put couple of sand / salt bag (125 lbs in total) for better traction and weight distribution.

Perhaps its Psychological but I feel even on dry days / dry roads, handling improves overall, when there is bit of weight in truck bed. I feel truck is more planted on the road especially when turning.

So just wondering is it just me or does putting a bit of weight improves handling in general? Of course, other factors such as tires, etc. matter however just referring to weight distribution as opposed to empty bed.

Thanks
My ARE z2 cap weighs 180 lbs and my partially loaded toolbox probably weighs in at about 100 lbs. After adding these to my truck it has leveled it out and the ride is fantastic. If we ever get snow I will throw a 40 lb bag of heating pellets mainly to throw down for traction if needed.
Truck Bed.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Putting a little weight in bed makes the weight distribution more even front to rear, so would theoretically help improve handling. As well as more weight over rear tires for better traction. The trade of is a slight hit to gas mileage based on how much weight you use. I am on third winter with mine and have never added any weight in the bed. Just never needed it. Truck gets around good without it

kzielu

Reaction score
These trucks are set to understeer heavily as basically any vehicle sold today - for a good reason (this does not mean that someone won't induce throttle ovesteer when mashing it like a monkey) .
You want your vehicle to understeer. Adding weight in the back will somewhat impact it and probably reduce that understeer but not in a too terrible of a way since they're mean to transport things in the bed - but like HSKR R/T said above - it's not really needed. Especially if it's 4WD truck.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I load a row of cinder blocks into the bed of my Dakota for the nasty Winter driving. Helps traction and more neutral handling. Subjectively speaking, probably don't need the extra weight until there's about a foot of snow.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I load a row of cinder blocks into the bed of my Dakota for the nasty Winter driving. Helps traction and more neutral handling. Subjectively speaking, probably don't need the extra weight until there's about a foot of snow.
When I drove my 2000 Dakota R/T year round, I had dedicated studded snow tires for all four corners on 15" steel wheels. Then had two 75lb tubes of sand. Never an issue getting around.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If weight does improve handling then would appreciate suggestions as to what can I safely put in the bed without it sliding around. Dont want to keep sand / salt bags.....year round in the back.
35594_full.jpg

Crashmymax

Reaction score
These trucks suffer from some serious wheel hop. They need weight in the bed. That simple.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These trucks suffer from some serious wheel hop. They need weight in the bed. That simple.
It's not nearly as bad as a truck with leaf springs, I get a little hop on really bad roads but to me it feels much more planted then my old trucks that had leafs.

Reactions: DEG

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I regularly haul a 100 gallon diesel tank loaded into the front of the bed and it helps immensely on wash boarded gravel roads.

Without the tank I switch the truck into 4wd to avoid wheel hop on a windy uphill section, with the tank full the truck goes right up it with no issues in 2wd.

In the snow I prefer a bit of weight in the back, it may be winter but that doesn’t mean I am in 4wd all of the time so it’s nice to have. A good set of snow tires will make a bigger difference than some weight in the bed.

Users who are viewing this thread