5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Undercoating

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Feel free to do a fluid film (which you have to reapply). Personally I wash the underside really well 2x year and hit any troublespots with Rustoleom Rust Inhibitor.

Here is an example of why not to do rubberized undercoating.

I'd be careful of these kind of assumptions. Around here 2004-2007 F-150s have frame rust in the same places and as severe or worse without having any undercoating. There is no way of telling if the applied undercoating promoted the rust or not. Since water can access the internal frame areas the rust through could've started from the inside. Metals with high carbon content and those with simple coating methods are prone to rusting whatever the protective coating. One of my son's uses Fluid Film and he must recoat every few months because it washes off with water from car washes and road spray.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 041388 miles.

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
Other than the street i have no place to do that myself and i definitely would not be pulling my door panels apart or drilling holes. Doesnt seem to be too many local guys in nj that do this either.....

There's a couple Line-X shops in New Jersey. They also spray the Krown undercoatings. I think the costs are no more than $300 to have done. I'm not 100% sure if all or just a handful of the shops spray the Krown.

jth877

Reaction score
From what research I've done it seems woolwax is an evolved fluid film. It sticks better and is harder to wash off. However, it doesn't flow as easily. On my new RAM I sprayed the inner fenders, rockers, and will do the inside of the doors with the fluid film cans and 24 inch 360 degree wand. The underside and frame will get black woolwax applied with their progun and wands. I also use eastwoods heavy duty anti rust on bare metal fasteners, control arms and axle. The eastwoods stuff is a cosmoline wax.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have NHOU BOSS wax which may be a derivative of Woolwax and I can tell you that on my '15 through 4 winters and two inspections/touchups they had to touch up two little spots, the rest of the wax was intact. My '15 and now my '20 were treated within a week off the lot with the wax and oil. Expensive to have done but I've been very happy with the effectiveness of protection, piece of mind, and the way the black wax looks.

baccigalup

Reaction score
There's a couple Line-X shops in New Jersey. They also spray the Krown undercoatings. I think the costs are no more than $300 to have done. I'm not 100% sure if all or just a handful of the shops spray the Krown.
Ill have to call them and see. I found a ziebart spray that does the oil based. Krown sounds a bit scary if its going to melt the seals away. Gonna look at that corrosion free as well. Thanks for the tips

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
I had mine professionally sprayed with Krown. I wanted to make sure all the areas they treat with the wands and drilling were addressed at least once. Now I plan to maintain using Fluid Film myself. I will mention that I also did have some sagging of some of the rubber pieces - specifically the rubber seals towards the front of the hood above the headlights. Also, I'm pretty particular about how my black truck gets washed, and I did not want the Krown dealer to wash the truck after the application. My truck was absolutely COVERED in overspray - I know, my fault for not letting them washing with brushes and harsh chemicals, but it was quite a mess. Took my 3 washes to get the overspray off. Another thing I notice after getting my truck undercoated is that when I roll down the windows, I'm still getting oil residue on them and it's been a year since it was undercoated.

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
Ill have to call them and see. I found a ziebart spray that does the oil based. Krown sounds a bit scary if its going to melt the seals away. Gonna look at that corrosion free as well. Thanks for the tips

Best thing to do is spray all the rubber with silicone. I forget what correct names are for the different kind of rubbers. The rubber above the headlights and around the doors has pores, which will melt. All the rubber I recall on the undercarriage is poreless (oil resistant). A little bit of work, but cleaning all the rubber and treating it with silicone will extend the life of the rubber (even the poreless) and prevent it from melting.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So you get what you pay for. broman66 paid $700 for the wax/oil and from the looks of it he didn't have to worry about overspray. I paid $800 and while they masked off everything under the truck that they didn't want to get sprayed, there were a few overspray spots on my truck, though not too bad and cleaned up with a wash.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Best thing to do is spray all the rubber with silicone. I forget what correct names are for the different kind of rubbers. The rubber above the headlights and around the doors has pores, which will melt. All the rubber I recall on the undercarriage is poreless (oil resistant). A little bit of work, but cleaning all the rubber and treating it with silicone will extend the life of the rubber (even the poreless) and prevent it from melting.

Thanks for the info!

Can you do this after it has been oiled? What kind of silicone?

shrubs2000

Reaction score
I went with Corrosion Free and will get it reapplied every 18 months as per the company's instructions. It's only been one oHIo winter but I'm happy thus far.

IrishRED

Reaction score
I had Line-X apply their undercoating at the same time as they did the spray in bedliner, within the first 3 days of having the truck and after a very thorough underbody wash. The undercoating comes with a lifetime warranty and does NOT need any reapplications.

nburd

Reaction score
I had New Hampshire Oil Undercoating done on my second Ram. Touch up every 2 years.
I am debating that product vs fluid film. did you go clear or black? I am getting ready to purchase a gallon for at least two trucks soon.

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
Thanks for the info!

Can you do this after it has been oiled? What kind of silicone?

If you already got the undercarriage sprayed, I wouldn't worry about the rubber for the undercarriage until next year. The rubber for the headlights, I'm not sure. I always treated the rubber before spraying. I would probably just let it go also until next year, then take care of it. This is the silicone I've been using. Spray it on a rag and wipe the rubber down. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042NWOLY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_DcjHFbG4DJVKK

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am debating that product vs fluid film. did you go clear or black? I am getting ready to purchase a gallon for at least two trucks soon.
If you're talking about the wax I went black. NHOU has a black oil that is like fluid film but both the FLuid Film and the Black oil a re totally different from the BOSS Wax. The Wax looks great and looked good even after 5 years. If you're truck is lifted or doesn't have the wheel well covers it it's even better.

Now if you want the wax you're going to need both the wax and the Fluid Film or NHOU's oil. The wax is not for spraying into panels, it doesn't creep much. NHOU does a demo of their oil, a single drop, creeping like 6 or 7"

So you're going to want to do the wax first and then do the oil in all the insides, doors, panels, inner fenders, hood etc and on the Ram you can get into the frame as well. The pro's use tin foil to mask off everything that they don't want to get the wax on like the exhaust, drive shaft and sensors etc. They told me that by far the most time consuming part of the job was the masking.

I think the wax is great and like I said mine only needed two little spots touched up during the 5 years I owned the truck. I don't think that they really do much touching up of the oil because that is mostly on interior parts and doesn't wear away while driving like the oil does...though I did see them stick the wand into a few places during the inspections.

baccigalup

Reaction score
I had Line-X apply their undercoating at the same time as they did the spray in bedliner, within the first 3 days of having the truck and after a very thorough underbody wash. The undercoating comes with a lifetime warranty and does NOT need any reapplications.
I spoke with the linex guy today and he was very nice and thorough. They spray with car with a rust protectant and then with a wax based valuguard overcoat. No drilling, all safe for wiring etc and one application for life and does not crack or peel to let moisture in. About 900 bucks is pricey but no return trips? That can seal the deal for me. Ill do some more research but have not hear anything bad about valuguard yet.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I spoke with the linex guy today and he was very nice and thorough. They spray with car with a rust protectant and then with a wax based valuguard overcoat. No drilling, all safe for wiring etc and one application for life and does not crack or peel to let moisture in. About 900 bucks is pricey but no return trips? That can seal the deal for me. Ill do some more research but have not hear anything bad about valuguard yet.
Not trying to sell you on anything but even though that sounds good, the NHOU Wax/oil inspections are once every 2 year ($99) and the pourpose is not really to recoat everything, it's to inspect,/repair/touch up. In my case for my last truck I actually felt gyped because they didn't have to do anything except those two little squirts.
I don't know if there is an NHOU near enough to you but you could give them a call just for another method. Do you really never want to have your truck's rust proofing inspected?

baccigalup

Reaction score
Not trying to sell you on anything but even though that sounds good, the NHOU Wax/oil inspections are once every 2 year ($99) and the pourpose is not really to recoat everything, it's to inspect,/repair/touch up. In my case for my last truck I actually felt gyped because they didn't have to do anything except those two little squirts.
I don't know if there is an NHOU near enough to you but you could give them a call just for another method. Do you really never want to have your truck's rust proofing inspected?
Not many dealers in central nj to pick from. Closest nho is about 80 miles away

baccigalup

Reaction score
Yea, sucks, I drove about 60 for mine and it is an overnight stay for the truck so my wife wasn't all that happy chauffeuring me around. ;)
Especially since you have to leave the car. Linex said three days... my only issue is driving from the dealer to there and leaving my brand new truck someplace...ill get over it for a good peace of mind. I hope to keep it more than 5 years..

HarryW

Reaction score
I went with Corrosion Free and will get it reapplied every 18 months as per the company's instructions. It's only been one oHIo winter but I'm happy thus far.
I inquired at a local shop here in Michigan as compared to Krown I thought it to be expensive $400 is that about normal?

Users who are viewing this thread