5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Undercoating

Seadweller23

Reaction score
Morning,

Interested in your comments on Undercoating. I think it may help long term life, and may improve sound deadening. I plan on keeping this truck for a long time.

Also, I would like to know if the undercoating negates the need for the rear wheel well covers.

My dealer did not get my undercoating put on prior to my taking delivery of the Truck (long Covid-19 story). They are going to do the undercoating and add protective film on the front next week.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just got a can of the rubberized undercoating and hit the areas that looked like they would rust quickly....rear axle assy, control arms, some frame areas...must say, it came out looking a lot better under there. Me personally, i don't like the heavy crap all over everything. this just put a thin film of black on things I want to protect a little. https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...day-anyone-else-have-advice.18483/post-252806

highgear2005

Reaction score
I feel it’s better not to undercoat. I’d rather wash underneath and touch up any spots on the frame. My father was bragging about a local shops cheap price. The problem was you had to reapply annual! They did such a good job,that he spend weeks removing overspray on the entire truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had a 1989 Mustang GT that I drove year round up here , I had Rust Check done annually and when I had to trade it in 2010 there wasn’t one speck of rust anywhere on that car . Yes it can be messy and drip for about a week after . I always had it done in October and in the spring I’d wash and wax it .

2wd

Reaction score
Feel free to do a fluid film (which you have to reapply). Personally I wash the underside really well 2x year and hit any troublespots with Rustoleom Rust Inhibitor.

Here is an example of why not to do rubberized undercoating.

Kevin O'Leary

Reaction score
I mean, the undercoating I got from the dealership has a 30 year warranty... that was enough to get me sold on it. Plus the warranty is transferable upon the sale of the truck...

It's kind of a must in Canada ‍

Last edited:

baccigalup

Reaction score
I mean, the undercoating I got from the dealership has a 30 year warranty... that was enough to get me sold on it. Plus the warranty is transferable upon the sale of the truck...

Can you give some info on this. Was it a dealer thing or a ram option? Lifetime is worth its weight imo. Was it rubber or oil based?

nburd

Reaction score
I still recommend the fender liners. I undercoated before I installed them. Rocks and debris will still get into the inside of the wheel arches without them. Also rocks could chip that area as well. It’s good insurance for a few hundred bucks. If you search my posts, I have some photos. I would love to know the undercoat brand you got with a 30 year warranty. That’s pretty good.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I had the Mopar undercoating and Mopar rustproofing done at the dealership, I received the brochure in the mail a few months after the sale and it does show an extremely long warranty period but if you read the brochure, $3000 is the maximum lifetime payout for repairs to the body and I think it was $1500 for the frame. The list price for the entire rustproof package was $2800 but I bargained it down to $1300. I would post the exact numbers but I’m not home to see the brochure.

dreinert

Reaction score
I have used fluid film for the last 2 years with the long clear flexible extension wand in the spray cans which allows to get in the frame rails too from Amazon.

I think I go through 3-4 cans if I remember right. I lay down a large cheap plastic drop cloth, cover myself up as much as possible, warm up the cans in hot water to make sure it's thin, and spray everywhere, and then let the truck sit overnight. It has worked well for me probably takes me a little over an hour total including clean up.

It does have a strong sent that lasts a few days. I don't spray it in the doors or anything that could get to the interior; I feel like it atomizes very easily and I don't want to risk it getting on the cab surfaces.

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
I'm currently using the Woolwax pro gun. I have all the wands, pressure gauge at the gun and a bunch of other stuff to go with it. https://www.kellsportproducts.com/W...arts-PRO-GUN-with-2-Extension-wands_p_54.html

I get my gallons of fluid film from advance auto. When buying from advance auto, best to do it online and get 20% off your orders.

I drilled, sprayed and plugged all the doors. If you drill a hole in your door panel side, make sure you coat the raw steel with paint before installing the dust plug to keep that from rusting.

The tailgate has an access panel you can remove to get that really good. Remove the wheel liners, taillights and headlights to get that really good. All that is a one time thing. Undercarriage one time a year.

I like to polish the paint and put a sealant on before spraying the fluid film. Any overspray will come right off easily afterwards.

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
I didn't drill a hole in the rear doors on this one. There's a nice size square shape dust plug there already. I did have to drill a hole in the front doors. You could take the interior panel off the front doors if you don't want to drill a hole.

Attachments

• 20201011_044846.jpg
    20201011_044846.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 59
  • 20201011_044820.jpg
    20201011_044820.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20201011-045031_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201011-045031_Gallery.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 59

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
You'd think this was a factory dust plug where I drilled and plugged the hole for the front doors.

Attachments

• 20201011_045919.jpg
    20201011_045919.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 20201011_044754.jpg
    20201011_044754.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 52

baccigalup

Reaction score
You'd think this was a factory dust plug where I drilled and plugged the hole for the front doors.
Other than the street i have no place to do that myself and i definitely would not be pulling my door panels apart or drilling holes. Doesnt seem to be too many local guys in nj that do this either.....

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This Rebel is my 3rd Ram, the first new Ram was a 1996 quad cab 8 foot box, only two door that year, no rustproofing was added to it, I had to repair the holes in the rocker panels and holes around the fender wells before I sold it to buy my second 2011 Ram Quad cab, I had the electronic rust protection control box installed at the dealer, and I had it Krown sprayed for the first 3 years, $100 cash, In 2017 the bumpers were rusting big time, the warranty for the electric box doesn’t cover the bumpers, the tailgate was showing small rust bubbles under the paint at the handle. I decided to remove both bumpers and got them Linex coated and painted the original metallic gray, the linex was actually colour matched gray in case of scratches you would not see the black. I even drilled all the holes slightly bigger to be able to install all the bolts without drilling the linex out and expose the steel. It was a lot cheaper to remove the bumpers myself, a lot of stuff had to be removed for the front bumper. It turned out really nice. I had the truck rustproofed at the Linex dealer while it was there with what is called Corrosion Free, it is a bit more expensive than Krown or Rust Check but it does not drip and is only applied every 18 months. The rust bubbles on the tailgate never got worst, even 3 years later when I sold my truck. I traded the truck in to get my 2020 Rebel, they listed my 2011 truck at $17,995, wow, and I only got $11,000 on trade, I should have tried to sell privately.
I had my new 2006 caravan Krown spayed every year. The Krown actually melted off all the rubber insulating sound shield in all the doors, the tailgate and body panels, every piece was lying at the bottom of the doors, tailgate and body panels. In 2016 it was rusting bad at the rocker boards, around the fenders around the windows.... the Krown dealer really screwed me on this one, even the head office would not come good for the repairs, I did not find all my receipts for all the years, Krown doesn’t register your vehicles, unless they do now.
The Corrosion Free registers your vehicles and is transferable. I read a Canadian military report about rust proofing and found that Krown was 60% effective for rust control, and had specified that it damaged all rubber seals, Rust Check was 70% effective for rust protection and Corrsion Free was 90% effective for rust protection. They even mentioned that is was cheaper because of the application was every 18 months.
I am getting my 2020 Rebel rustproofed by Corrosion Free, I plan on keeping this truck for a long time.

Attachments

• 040BF20F-4774-4793-8D54-7B0F313FA5C4.jpeg
    040BF20F-4774-4793-8D54-7B0F313FA5C4.jpeg
    169 KB · Views: 59
  • FE734CE4-120A-40E4-9D5D-A9AE7A383152.jpeg
    FE734CE4-120A-40E4-9D5D-A9AE7A383152.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 583264B4-6B6C-4259-9529-21A89DD7F39A.jpeg
    583264B4-6B6C-4259-9529-21A89DD7F39A.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 84062B0D-D48B-4EC7-ABD0-38DF37DCD2BD.jpeg
    84062B0D-D48B-4EC7-ABD0-38DF37DCD2BD.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 20E4FA06-B308-4EF3-B167-1C16932E9E6C.jpeg
    20E4FA06-B308-4EF3-B167-1C16932E9E6C.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 57

nburd

Reaction score
I'm currently using the Woolwax pro gun. I have all the wands, pressure gauge at the gun and a bunch of other stuff to go with it. https://www.kellsportproducts.com/Woolwax®-Undercoat-Kit-4-Quarts-PRO-GUN-with-2-Extension-wands_p_54.html

I get my gallons of fluid film from advance auto. When buying from advance auto, best to do it online and get 20% off your orders.

I drilled, sprayed and plugged all the doors. If you drill a hole in your door panel side, make sure you coat the raw steel with paint before installing the dust plug to keep that from rusting.

The tailgate has an access panel you can remove to get that really good. Remove the wheel liners, taillights and headlights to get that really good. All that is a one time thing. Undercarriage one time a year.

I like to polish the paint and put a sealant on before spraying the fluid film. Any overspray will come right off easily afterwards.

Just a reminder, the tailgate is Aluminum.

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
Other than the street i have no place to do that myself and i definitely would not be pulling my door panels apart or drilling holes. Doesnt seem to be too many local guys in nj that do this either.....
If you get the Krown treatment done, they drill holes where they can't get their wands including the doors.

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
Just a reminder, the tailgate is Aluminum.
Yes, I went back and forth with myself if I should spray it or not. Other than the shell of the tailgate, are the guts of the tailgate 100% aluminum? You got wiring inside and bolts for the backup camera. I have trust issues and sprayed everything for a piece of mind. lol

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had New Hampshire Oil Undercoating done on my second Ram. Touch up every 2 years.

Users who are viewing this thread