5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on TPMS

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I get a pair of wheels and tires with no TPMS in them will the light on the dash be on until I put them in?

SColang22

Reaction score
If I get a pair of wheels and tires with no TPMS in them will the light on the dash be on until I put them in?
I was wondering the same thing and if i can reuse the TPMS on my current wheels?

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah - definitely need to know this - im fine checking my own tire pressure to save some money for now on the new wheels im buying lol.

But if the light is always gonna be on it would drive me nuts.

chad202

Reaction score
I think it’ll always be on. You can used the ones from your stock wheels. I just ordered new wheels/tires and they’ll come mounted/balanced with new TPMS. It was only an additional 135$ for 4new TPMS.

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it’ll always be on. You can used the ones from your stock wheels. I just ordered new wheels/tires and they’ll come mounted/balanced with new TPMS. It was only an additional 135$ for 4new TPMS.
Any idea on an install price onto new wheels? Im selling my old ones with them in it still. I had a deal lined up for limited wheels with TPMS sensors and it just fell through - I can get limited wheels without the sensors now just trying to figure out the price difference.

chad202

Reaction score
I couldn’t tell you. When I had some go out on previous vehicles the cost was around 75$ for the sensor and install.

chad202

Reaction score
Depends on where you go I assume. They were actually $88 for the set I’m getting in the wheels/tires I just ordered. I imagine it’s 15-20$ to break down a wheel/tire to install a new TPMS. So that’s 80ish for labor and 90-135 for 4 new TPMS.

pinkerton

Reaction score
Any idea on an install price onto new wheels? Im selling my old ones with them in it still. I had a deal lined up for limited wheels with TPMS sensors and it just fell through - I can get limited wheels without the sensors now just trying to figure out the price difference.
Hey W13NY: I've got a set of Limited Wheels & Falken A/T tires going up on Craigslist this weekend. I'm in Somerset, NJ and they will include TPMS. Let me know if you're interested. The tires/wheels have less than 2,500 miles on them.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can definitely reuse the existing ones from your stock wheels. Thats what they did when I swapped mine out.

canative

Reaction score
I bought some tires and wheels that didn't come with the sensors. I was going to have a shop remove them from my original tires and wheels and install on the new ones but they quoted from 160-180! So I am just going to sell them with the sensors and I bought some on EBay for $22 a piece that are OEM. Going to cost about $80-100 after all is said and done.

LuckyWelds

Reaction score
If you don't use TPMS your light will always be on.
They get installed when you get your wheels mounted and balanced.
If you're trying to get sensors put in a set of already mounted and balanced wheels, they'll have to take them apart and re-balance anyway so it will just cost whatever their mounting and balancing fee is.
If you want a way around this and don't mind checking them yourself. You can get TPMS sensors synced to your vehicle, put them in a pressurized box and put them somewhere in the truck and fake it out that way. There may be a way to shut it off with a programmer but I'm new to this platform and unaware of that as of right now.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's a federal regulation that the TPMS indicator light on the dashboard CAN'T legally be disabled in any way. Even if your new wheels/tires make the lamp glow continuously, they want that, because it warns any driver of the vehicle that the tire inflation is not up to factory specs. The NHTSA claims it is possible to take such a vehicle to the dealer and have it recalibrated to new TPMS sensors in the wheels. But if you throw away the TPMS sensors, the light will glow continuously, forever, as the law intended. Disconnecting the warning light, or using a "pressurized box" as one poster put it, is in violation of federal law.

https://www.tirereview.com/the-fina...e-air-on-tpms-regs-and-plus-sizing-conundrum/

chad202

Reaction score
I order rims and tires mounted/balanced with new TPMS already installed. It was awesome, light never came on so it picked up the new ones immediately.

Dontfront82

Reaction score
Ok
It's a federal regulation that the TPMS indicator light on the dashboard CAN'T legally be disabled in any way. Even if your new wheels/tires make the lamp glow continuously, they want that, because it warns any driver of the vehicle that the tire inflation is not up to factory specs. The NHTSA claims it is possible to take such a vehicle to the dealer and have it recalibrated to new TPMS sensors in the wheels. But if you throw away the TPMS sensors, the light will glow continuously, forever, as the law intended. Disconnecting the warning light, or using a "pressurized box" as one poster put it, is in violation of federal law.

https://www.tirereview.com/the-fina...e-air-on-tpms-regs-and-plus-sizing-conundrum/
Ok lol

Users who are viewing this thread