5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question On Start Stop Engines

Cudapower

Reaction score
On new 2021 Ram 1500's does the regular Hemi now have the stupid stop start function or is that still just on the V6 and electric boost models?

Cysix

Reaction score
Easily solved with https://www.autostopeliminator.com/. Not paid advert... simply happy with it. Auto start stop is annoying as all get out if temps are cold or hot as it stop, then jerks to a start while your sitting there. I did the 5 min install and it works perfect. I leave stop/start disabled in all but mild weather where my AC/Heat isn't working hard. I wouldn't let that guide my choice as to eTorque or not. If you ever want to do any engine mods, skip eTorque. On the other hand, I do find it smooths out off the line starts and shifts.

MilehighRam

Reaction score
I purchased the Tazer DT which remembers the last state of the auto start stop button. I dont mind it most of the time, but disable it in the summer as theres a funky smell when the ac kicks on after being off for a bit.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
The only hemis with start stop are the etorque versions... the electric motor that is the etorque is the starting motor for auto start setup.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Agreed, they did a remarkable job with the setup in these. Drove a 2021 grand Cherokee in vegas a few weeks ago while on vacation and it’s system was very noticeable compared to the one in my truck.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
I was just in my buddy’s brand new 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 that has it and wow what a difference from the Ram. It was pretty harsh and he was already complaining about it.

nburd

Reaction score
Love my etorque. I barely even notice it at this point. Smoothest stop start system I’ve ever driven.
I have grown used to it and do not mind it at all now.

The only caution is brake pedal pressure when at a traffic light or stop. I was a “light“ brake holder putting as little pressure as possible and sometimes letting my vehicle creep forward at a stop by modulating the brake lightly (often making those awesome creeking brake sounds with my previous suburban, plus it irked the wife...lol). I did not know or really notice this habit until having my Ram with auto start/stop in the first few days of driving.

If it shuts down at a traffic light and restarts due to AC or heating needs, it can lurch (1/2 wheel rotation) forward (what e-torque is designed to do) and override a very light brake hold, moving you forward that Distance. Fortunately I tend to leave more that 1/2 a wheel turn between me and the car in front of me.

I do not even notice it now at all.

One Other caution. The Hemi is so smooth and quiet at a idle, I sometimes do not notice if it’s running or not due to Auto start/stop. There is no vibration and the tach can be the only indicator. This is the smoothest engine at idle I have owned (Next to my EV) and I am amazed it’s in my Ram truck.

At least twice I have been stopped, not realizing the motor is off and been highly startled at “Zero“ oil pressure.....thinking I had a major problem (Did I tighten that oil filter...lol). Even to the point of almost announcing it in the car, only to realize it’s not running.........Hopefully I get past that.

Users who are viewing this thread