5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on running board studs

Reinkthetank

Reaction score
Hello,

New to this site and a new ram owner. Working on installing my tyger auto blades and the directions have different torque requirements for 8.8 and 10.9 bolts. I can't find anywhere what the factory mount bolts are. I'm guessing 10.9 since that would be similar to a grade 8 bolt? Don't want to over tighten and bust one of those bolts though.

Thanks!

DesertRebel

Reaction score
I used German torque specs = gudenteit.

They've stayed snug and I didn't feel any chance of breakage. I used a (relatively) short handled, ratcheting box end wrench - so there wasn't a ton of leverage/torque to risk snapping a bolt... I've checked each nut once (a couple weeks after installed) and they are tight.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I didn''t use a torque wrench at all. Even after chasing the threads with a die to remove the thick paint, there was still enough crud to interfere. What I did do is install the nuts with locktite. It acts as a thread lubricant while wet and keeps the nuts from coming loose after it dries. Don't use the red if you think you'll ever need to take the boards off.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't use a torque wrench either. Just nice and snug. Another trick for someone who may be reading this about the paint on the studs...if you use the nut that comes with your steps and just nice and easy tighten the nut down then back it off. Repeat this step a couple times and it'll eat away the paint pretty smoothly and quickly. At least that worked for me.

Users who are viewing this thread