5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on bed liner and drainage/corrosion

frankd

Reaction score
I'm in the process of ordering a tonneau cover as well as a bed liner for my 2019 crew cab 5'7" box. This is my first pickup but after reading a few threads it seems like the tonneau covers aren't totally watertight so I expect at least a little bit of water to get in the bed. I have the factory installed spray-in bed liner but I'm a bit OCD with my vehicles and don't want to scratch up the spray in bed liner so I want to add a bed rug or other liner.... but had some questions:
- I've heard that water can get trapped under the bed liners leading to corrosion issues. Have any of you noticed this? Maybe there are some bed liners that fit tighter or go up the wall a bit to prevent water from getting under them? Are any of these bed lines "breathable" so that if water does get under them, the problem will take care of itself?
I'm probably overthinking this but my dad is trying to talk me out of the bed liner because he's telling me the body will rot out from water damage.
Thanks!

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And I thought I had OCD bad. I have the factory spray-in liner and it already has a couple scratches; but that is what its for. Personally, I would not want any type of liner in my truck because I would think it would trap moisture. Instead of a liner; just go pick up a moving blanket at Home Depot and use it to protect your bed when you load things that may scratch it....that is what I do and it works great.

frankd

Reaction score
And I thought I had OCD bad. I have the factory spray-in liner and it already has a couple scratches; but that is what its for. Personally, I would not want any type of liner in my truck because I would think it would trap moisture. Instead of a liner; just go pick up a moving blanket at Home Depot and use it to protect your bed when you load things that may scratch it....that is what I do and it works great.

I know your right... it just pains me to see scratches. The bed isn't really going to get much usage so I might be better off just using a moving blanket as suggested. I'm not a contractor. I'll be throwing some ATV's and motorcycles in the back on occasion but aside from that the bed will stay pretty empty.

krakenatwork

Reaction score
I know your right... it just pains me to see scratches. The bed isn't really going to get much usage so I might be better off just using a moving blanket as suggested. I'm not a contractor. I'll be throwing some ATV's and motorcycles in the back on occasion but aside from that the bed will stay pretty empty.

My father used to work in a sawmill. He had access to shedloads of conveyer strap material (used on a 6 feet+ wide by 50-some feet long conveyer). The stuff was going for a ride to the dump. He took a 4'X6' square of the 3/8" or 1/2" thick material and cut it here and there for the wheel wells. He used it on our '92 Dakota (1st gen) 'till he sold it in the 2000's. Filled it's purpose of protecting the bed.

DanSkan

Reaction score
I used a 4 ft wide piece of black exercise rubber mat 3/8" thick and cut it 5'-7" long to fit perfect.
Protects the spray liner bed, protects whatever I put in the bed without scratching, easy to pull out and shake off/clean, looks good and very inexpensive.

AndreiV

Reaction score
I dont have spray in bed liner but have heavy duty rubber bed mat (westin rubber from 4th gen) and soft tune-up cover. We had multiple heavy rains and I had zero water in a bed. Also rubber mat provides perfect protection when hauling goods from building supply store and can be easily cleaned with and without removing it.

Barney556180

Reaction score
I went with a Bedrug mat. It cushions and protects the bed, stuff I throw in the bed, and most importantly saves my knees.

They are breathable, do not absorb water, and resist gas, oil, etc.

Capt Joe

Reaction score
Home Depot rubber mat. They are 48x36. I have them so stuff doesn't slide around back there... Works great 27$ each. 20190307_182421.jpg 20190307_182215.jpg

Since they are small.. they come right out to clean and are easy to manage...

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Back in the olden days, we used to Rhino-Line beds to make them water tight, and to prevent scratching through the paint, there-by protecting the steel beds from rust and pinholes due to rust. Two decades later, we now want to protect the bed liner, that protects the paint, that protects the bed...WHEW...Bed mat excluded...I'm old too and like the idea of protecting my knees.

frankd

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! I just ordered the MX4 bed cover. I'm going to wait and see how water tight it actually is before making a decision on the bed liner.

Users who are viewing this thread