5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question Installing Factory Wheel Well Liners

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello all, I have a Big Horn and am installing the factory wheel well liners. For those who have done this before...do you reinstall either of the factory "half" wheel well liners? The instructions say to remove them and nothing about reinstalling. However, it looks like you might reuse at least the rear one. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The existing rear ones are 2 pieces. After you remove it from the truck you have to pry them apart then you reuse the back piece and install the new liner over it which gives support to the new liner. If I recall there are 3 pop rivets you can either drill out or just pry apart. Some people haven’t bothered to pry the 2 pieces apart and just installed the new full liners over top of the entire existing one. Personally I didn’t like the way things lined up when leaving the entire rear so I did pry the 2 pieces apart.

Bavet

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Had my dealer install my liners. They did not reuse the back pieces so the bottom trim piece on back of the fender is not mechanically attached and kinda hangs loosely. I recently brought it to their attention and now they have to order new pieces to correct it since they threw the old pieces away. You would think the dealer would know have to install these. My mistake.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks all. I ended up leaving the both of the back pieces together and reinstalled it. Everything seemed to fit fine, after a bit if finagling.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had my dealer install my liners. They did not reuse the back pieces so the bottom trim piece on back of the fender is not mechanically attached and kinda hangs loosely. I recently brought it to their attention and now they have to order new pieces to correct it since they threw the old pieces away. You would think the dealer would know have to install these. My mistake.
I bet they followed the instructions which say to toss both front and rear half liners.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The existing rear ones are 2 pieces. After you remove it from the truck you have to pry them apart then you reuse the back piece and install the new liner over it which gives support to the new liner. If I recall there are 3 pop rivets you can either drill out or just pry apart. Some people haven’t bothered to pry the 2 pieces apart and just installed the new full liners over top of the entire existing one. Personally I didn’t like the way things lined up when leaving the entire rear so I did pry the 2 pieces apart.
Hey @jloops , I left my outer liner on but wondering if I should remove them after watching the video. What about the figment with them did you not like?

Last edited:

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey @jloops , I left my outer liner on but wondering if I should remove them after watching the video. What about the figment with them did you not like?
When you separate the two pieces of the existing rear liner there are groves in the piece which you reuse that line up exactly with the new liner. If you don’t separate the two pieces the groves in the plastic don’t line up. The screws don’t go in straight and you have gaps between the sheet metal and the plastic of the liner. Initially I had the liners installed by the dealer and they installed the new liners over the entire existing liners. It had the gaps and screws that weren’t straight which drove my nuts until I found the video I uploaded earlier. I uninstalled everything and did exactly what is shown in the video and everything lined up perfectly. No fighting with the screws to line up with the holes and no gaps. It was well worth the extra 30-45 minutes to remove everything and start from scratch. Just to be clear this was a few years ago on my 2019 Laramie not my current Limited which comes standard with the full liners.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you. Tonight I pulled my liners, removed the outer piece and will put back together tomorrow. I appreciate the info!

Alejandro_Andretti

Reaction score
I do and Mopar wheel liners install as shown above but I do not believe any other brands will because our wells have just a little less depth
Man I been dying and waiting for this answer.. lol
So you by any chance have a part number?? The dealership tells me they don’t fit so if you have a number I’ll just order those

tolh13

Reaction score

Rear Wheel Well Liners - Mopar (82216333AA)​

2021-2022 Ram 1500 - 82216333aa

I ordered them from an online Mopar dealer that was close to save on shipping. total paid 176.54. The local dealer wanted 299.99.

pensfan

Reaction score
These things should be standard equipment like they were on the 4th gen Rams. Just another money grab making them an option. Charging extra for colors other than black or white is another rip off.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In hindsight, probably should have just ordered it with them. Knocked off some of the paint around the inside of the holes fighting to get it lined up and screws in. Pulled the screws and touched them up, but I still think some came off putting it back together. Stupid things take some finagling. Maybe on a really hot day I’ll take the screws out, touch and touch the holes up again.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
These things should be standard equipment like they were on the 4th gen Rams. Just another money grab making them an option. Charging extra for colors other than black or white is another rip off.
My thoughts exactly. Ridiculous this is an option.

Users who are viewing this thread