5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question for Those with New Trailer Surround View Camera System

jgc650i

Reaction score
Would appreciate some help from those who got the new "Trailer Surround View Camera System" with their 2022 truck. Can you please confirm that you did get the box with the cameras and controller unit in your vehicle at the time of delivery (I've seen a couple posts here that would indicate this is supposed to be the case and want to confirm)? Also, separate from that box of parts, is there anything easily discernable on the truck itself that was additionally installed to support this system (ie. an additional port on the bumper for plugging in cameras separate from regular trailer wiring ports, or anything else)?

My truck is supposed to have this option and it is clearly noted on both my BS and WS, but did not have the camera/controller kit in it at time of delivery. There also doesn't appear to be anything different on the truck itself if there is supposed to be anything installed on the truck side for this option (not sure what I should expect or look for either way on that piece of it). My dealer is being very good about this and trying to resolve the issue, but they're running into tons of confusion on the Stellantis side with this new option (no surprise). I'm trying to confirm what I should expect and look for so I can better guide my dealer.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can share!

jgc650i

Reaction score
I was able to answer half of my question in that I do see there are two additional ports installed on the rear of the truck under the bumper, a 12 pin and another 7-pin. Should have looked closer previously but wasn't obvious without crouching down to see it mounted under the bumper. So, good news that the truck-side of the install was done, just didn't get the camera/controller kit. Would still appreciate hearing from anyone with this option as to if they got the boxed kit in their truck at delivery. Thanks again!

TMF

Reaction score
Were you ever able to get this figured out? Debating if I should try to add this package to my order. I honestly only want 1 rear camera, but not sure if I'll still have the 12 pin connector if I don't add the trailer surround package...

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If the truck has 360° surround cameras, it will have the 12-pin connector. The surround option is $995.

If you select one of the packages that includes the DRVM, the port for the Tow Mode Camera will be there. The Tow mode cameras is selected as an option add on to a DRVM included in a package, (~$495) or as part of a separate DRVM package (~$995) careful selecting the DRVM mirror/camera if you already have it in a package, it will drop the package.

If you don't need the trailer surround, you're better off with the tow mode camera as it shows in the DRVM always, and tilts down in reverse.

The Surround cameras cancel at speed (>8MPH) unless NAViKS or Tazer updates in motion camera views for UC5.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would appreciate some help from those who got the new "Trailer Surround View Camera System" with their 2022 truck. Can you please confirm that you did get the box with the cameras and controller unit in your vehicle at the time of delivery (I've seen a couple posts here that would indicate this is supposed to be the case and want to confirm)? Also, separate from that box of parts, is there anything easily discernable on the truck itself that was additionally installed to support this system (ie. an additional port on the bumper for plugging in cameras separate from regular trailer wiring ports, or anything else)?

My truck is supposed to have this option and it is clearly noted on both my BS and WS, but did not have the camera/controller kit in it at time of delivery. There also doesn't appear to be anything different on the truck itself if there is supposed to be anything installed on the truck side for this option (not sure what I should expect or look for either way on that piece of it). My dealer is being very good about this and trying to resolve the issue, but they're running into tons of confusion on the Stellantis side with this new option (no surprise). I'm trying to confirm what I should expect and look for so I can better guide my dealer.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can share!

My truck is extremely similar to yours. I picked it up in March and I did get the trailer camera system box with all the cameras and wiring at the time of delivery.

TMF

Reaction score
If the truck has 360° surround cameras, it will have the 12-pin connector. The surround option is $995.

If you select one of the packages that includes the DRVM, the port for the Tow Mode Camera will be there. The Tow mode cameras is selected as an option add on to a DRVM included in a package, (~$495) or as part of a separate DRVM package (~$995) careful selecting the DRVM mirror/camera if you already have it in a package, it will drop the package.

If you don't need the trailer surround, you're better off with the tow mode camera as it shows in the DRVM always, and tilts down in reverse.

The Surround cameras cancel at speed (>8MPH) unless NAViKS or Tazer updates in motion camera views for UC5.
Super helpful, thank you! I did a limited with level 2 group, which has the digital review mirror but I did not pick the trailer surround option... So it sounds like I'd still have a port to add a trailer camera, even though I didn't select the trailer surround view?

They sure don't make these minor (yet kinda important) details very clear on their website!

TMF

Reaction score

Looking further...is this for the 2500's? Not seeing these options on the website for the 1500...

jgc650i

Reaction score
Were you ever able to get this figured out? Debating if I should try to add this package to my order. I honestly only want 1 rear camera, but not sure if I'll still have the 12 pin connector if I don't add the trailer surround package...

Yes, the dealer and Stellantis after a little nudging acknowledged the box of parts should have been in the truck at delivery. Took some doing on their end to work out the procurement issue for the parts because at the time they were factory only and not available in the standard dealer parts ordering system, but after a couple weeks from original delivery they got me the correct parts. Haven't permanently installed it on a trailer yet, but did unbox and hook everything up to test the system. Everything worked exactly as it's supposed to.

Reactions: TMF

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My apologies, I assumed the tech would be the same.

Sent from my work avoidance device using Tapatalk

TMF

Reaction score
My apologies, I assumed the tech would be the same.

Sent from my work avoidance device using Tapatalk
All good!

Yes, the dealer and Stellantis after a little nudging acknowledged the box of parts should have been in the truck at delivery. Took some doing on their end to work out the procurement issue for the parts because at the time they were factory only and not available in the standard dealer parts ordering system, but after a couple weeks from original delivery they got me the correct parts. Haven't permanently installed it on a trailer yet, but did unbox and hook everything up to test the system. Everything worked exactly as it's supposed to.
Good to know, thanks for clarifying! The option to add the trailer surround cameras on the 1500's isn't there anymore and I didn't push too hard to find out if the dealer could add it on their side...so mine is ordered without that option. I do have the digital review mirror though so I'll be very curious to see if mine still has the 12 pin port for the cameras.

Where is the camera port hookup? Close to the 7 pin I'm assuming?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All good!

Good to know, thanks for clarifying! The option to add the trailer surround cameras on the 1500's isn't there anymore and I didn't push too hard to find out if the dealer could add it on their side...so mine is ordered without that option. I do have the digital review mirror though so I'll be very curious to see if mine still has the 12 pin port for the cameras.

Where is the camera port hookup? Close to the 7 pin I'm assuming?

The 12-pin, if equipped is above the 7-pin in lieu of a 4-flat. If you use a 4-pin trailer, you'll need a 7 to 4-pin adapter. Can't say for sure on the 1500, but for any HD with truck 360° (it may required a tow package), the 12-pin is there and ready. Many are purchasing the 4 camera kits second hand and they are plug and play.

The coax for the DRVM is a port to the left of the license plate.

TMF

Reaction score
The 12-pin, if equipped is above the 7-pin in lieu of a 4-flat. If you use a 4-pin trailer, you'll need a 7 to 4-pin adapter. Can't say for sure on the 1500, but for any HD with truck 360° (it may required a tow package), the 12-pin is there and ready. Many are purchasing the 4 camera kits second hand and they are plug and play.

The coax for the DRVM is a port to the left of the license plate.
OK cool, thanks. I'll check mine out when it arrives and report back!

jgc650i

Reaction score
Must be different on the HDs vs how they do it for the 1500s with this additional option. Mine has the standard 7-pin/4-pin combo receiver up on the bumper next to the license plate that comes with the tow package. I have a separate box mounted to the right of the hitch receiver under the bumper that has the 12-pin and another 7-pin receiver. That's the way it came from factory.

Kravin

Reaction score
So I ordered my 2022 last November got it in February and had the 360 kit. I did get the box with the cameras but due to one thing and another never actually even opened it or tried them until today. The truck has traditional 4 and 7 pin in the regular spot then lower there is a different connector, I believe a 12 pin for the surround camera system. See pic.

Does anyone know if you can just buy singles cameras that can connect to that 12 pin plug. I have multiple trailers most don't need 360, but a wired backup camera that displays on the 12" would be super handy.

Attachments

• E7D87FC7-0248-41AF-9ABA-0EE0B6C0D077.jpeg
    E7D87FC7-0248-41AF-9ABA-0EE0B6C0D077.jpeg
    187.2 KB · Views: 31

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can buy the kit for a 2020 HD (not sure about the 1500) and re-pin from AUX1 to AUX2. AFAIK, AUX2 on the new 360° surround is still analog.

Ram does not sell the cables separately that we've been able to find. Odd since a part failure should allow ordering by a single part number, but word is they order the whole kit.

You could also reach out to Nichols Welding for a custom 12-pin harness (he uses the Ford part) with only a single analog camera. He knows how to pin the cable for Ram trucks. The factory analog camera is total crap so most adapt something aftermarket. I bought a Ford cable and aftermarket camera and connectors and built my own for my 2020 HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/