5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question for north east winter drivers

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Dueler Alenza's which think are just a highway All Season...Just like the SRA's.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm guessing that your point of reference is from an aggressive AT tire but what about a AWD or 4WD with factory highway M&S? And of course there are some roads that require chains during certain periods.
Not at all...last winter we took a drive in a full blown snow storm in Mount Charleston with my AWD Ford Edge. Only had the All season Vercelli tires on...worked great in about 5 inches of snow...still have the video I think...
Their "road requirements" said 4wd or tire chains. AWD was plenty capable (equivalent to 4wd Auto).
Plus... I'm originally from NH and no one their ever used tire chains either.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Plus... I'm originally from NH and no one their ever used tire chains either.
We did in the old bias ply RWD days :) The only time ever I didn't make it home was during the blizzard of 78 driving my Plymouth Arrow with Falken snow tires.

And if you're from NH then you remember that we usually don't even have to worry about 5" of snow cuz they keep the roads clear.

c0mbatVet

Reaction score
My 2014 Ram 1500 came with the Dueler HL Alenzas. They were bad in packed snow, and absolutely terrible in wet or slushy snow. They were so bad that I would drive my wife's Jeep to work when it was bad out because I had no confidence I could make it to work or home safely. They also sucked in any kind of muddy or soft ground so I could not drive on my tractor paths or into my crop fields with them. Now I do live where our snow is measured in feet, but my job consists of me driving all around no matter the weather and I am very experienced in driving in snow. Moving on to my 2017, that truck came with the Wrangler SR-A's. I actually never had a problem with them in snow, slush or mud at all. I actually pulled my fathers Silverado out of one of our cut crop fields when he buried his truck to the axles in a wet spot. My 2020 has the Wildpeaks so I dont foresee any issues.

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
We did in the old bias ply RWD days :) The only time ever I didn't make it home was during the blizzard of 78 driving my Plymouth Arrow with Falken snow tires.

And if you're from NH then you remember that we usually don't even have to worry about 5" of snow cuz they keep the roads clear.
Many years ago, i was driving up 89 from Concord to Warner, and there was like 6” standing on the highway, and higher drifts. Wasn’t a great night, and I would have been very happy to have chains installed (but less happy to install them!). But my trusty Sentra with dedicated snows got me home. :)

I-93 always seems to be in better shape than 89, though.

dantheman

Reaction score
WNY winter conditions go from mild to wild! Having a good set of tires is a must. All seasons will work, but having a dedicated set of snows will make a difference. Most AT's are rated good for snow...some excel over others. 3 peak rated tires are said to have different rubber compounds that hold up better in colder conditions (below freezing) and more siping. I did my homework and went with the new Toyo Open Country AT3's (3 peak rated) 295/65R20's. I'm not trusting the stock Bridgestone H/T's.

Ski Taxi

Reaction score
I'm a big believer in dedicated snows (studless in my case). We have a significant 3 hour commute to our cabin which we make religiously every Friday night between November and April, coupled with the return trip on Sunday evening. And as a winter sports family, we often driving into bad road conditions for good ski conditions.

The peace of mind I get from the snow tires logging these miles, often in the dark, is invaluable and I find the performance delta between an aggressive all terrain and my studless winter tires is remarkable.

Cost is more a capital than operating expense as you are saving wear on the summer tires while the winters are on. There is some inconvenience associated with the swap each fall and spring, but I drive enough miles that I'd probably be rotating the tires at those intervals anyway.

But I do think if have the ability to stay home from work and other activities following weather events, dedicated snow tires probably aren't needed. We don't put snows on the other family car as if the conditions are bad enough that they are needed, that car stays in the garage.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't use snow tires.... Of course I was in Florida for 25+years. But I'm back in Michigan and not about to buy snow tires. I just stay in when the roads are bad.

Users who are viewing this thread