5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question for north east winter drivers

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Still nobody with the Goodyear wrangler A/Ts willing to chime in on snow?

My wife got duratrac on her Wrangler. Good looking tire, but I think it’s a little noisy for our land yachts

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My wife got duratrac on her Wrangler. Good looking tire, but I think it’s a little noisy for our land yachts

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Thanks buddy. however I don’t have the Duratracs, I have the A/T Adventure Kevlar that seems to be a pretty rare tire around here..

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im across the Hudson River from the Communist Capitol Albany in Rensselaer County my OEM Goodyears held thier own last winter, like someone else said after a big storm roads are pretty much cleaned up good after 5 or 6 hrs after a storm...

MFALRAM

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the insightful replies. I am in upstate NY. They plow pretty well around here but can lag, esp in a big storm. New tires are not in the picture right now but the OEM tires only have 3000 miles so far. I'll try out 4Auto when the weather hits and see how it does. I drive pretty conservatively anyway. The truck has been fine in the rain so far. I ski as well, so I will put these Duellers to the test.

For those that run dedicated winter tires, do you swap over your TPMS each time?
I’m from the Mohawk Valley area in NY where about are you?

reidcc

Reaction score
Anyone have the Goodyear Wrangler Adventure A/T with Kevlar and how do they do in snow?
This is my first upcoming winter with them. So far I’ve been very pleased with them in rainy conditions as well as smooth ride and no MPG hit.

View attachment 72879
I had Wrangler Adventure Kevlars on my Colorado Z71. TBH they reinforced my decision to never own another set of Goodyears again. That being said, and the be completely honest- they were the OEM version as stockers on the Colorado. There is a difference between OEM Stock and replacement from the manufacturer.

The OEM stockers once they hit 25K became really hard and squirrely - oh and noisy too. They were almost slicks by 30K. Winter use was not as good as other AT tires.
Again- these were stockers as specced with the truck.

Chris

vinnieloo

Reaction score
Thanks again everyone.
I’m from the Mohawk Valley area in NY where about are you?

I am north of Albany, so similar weather. I'm fine driving in the snow but I've only owned FWD or AWD. Used to bigger vehicles but truck is definitely the biggest. I think I'll just switch it to 4Auto if it is slippery out and 4Hi or 4Lo of needed and drive slow. Better tires will be in the future but I only have 3000mi on the OEMs so I think I can make it thru at least this winter.

MFALRAM

Reaction score
Thanks again everyone.

I am north of Albany, so similar weather. I'm fine driving in the snow but I've only owned FWD or AWD. Used to bigger vehicles but truck is definitely the biggest. I think I'll just switch it to 4Auto if it is slippery out and 4Hi or 4Lo of needed and drive slow. Better tires will be in the future but I only have 3000mi on the OEMs so I think I can make it thru at least this winter.
That’s what I did went one winter then got new tires

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had Wrangler Adventure Kevlars on my Colorado Z71. TBH they reinforced my decision to never own another set of Goodyears again. That being said, and the be completely honest- they were the OEM version as stockers on the Colorado. There is a difference between OEM Stock and replacement from the manufacturer.

The OEM stockers once they hit 25K became really hard and squirrely - oh and noisy too. They were almost slicks by 30K. Winter use was not as good as other AT tires.
Again- these were stockers as specced with the truck.

Chris
Thank you, that exactly the info I was looking for.

COSPILOT

Reaction score
I strongly advise against 4-Lo in icy/slick conditions. The less torque the better in those conditions.

Having lived in the upper Midwest but now Colorado and having owned pickup trucks for over 30 years I can confidently say they do just fine with standard tires, not once in my life have I ever put snow tires on a vehicle.
That said, my trucks always have enough tools in the back which helps. Empty they are inherently oversteer prone which is the biggest problem. Not an issue with sport utility vehicles, so add some weight if you feel more comfortable, otherwise you will be fine if driving a little more careful.

c0mbatVet

Reaction score
I had them on my BTS last February and the little bit of snow/ice they were fine. They were pretty good all around tires for being OEM, decent in the rain, not bad light off roading, meh in the sand(not aired down). Do not confuse the ORP OEM Falken Wildpeak AT3WA’s with the AT3W’s, two totally different tires. The OEM AT3WA’s are not twin peak rated and the thread is not as aggressive as the AT3W. I would of felt ok going into this winter with them for normal driving but I ditched them for LT Duratracs
I think you mean 3 peak mountain snowflake, aka severe snow service rated. And yes the stock ORP Falken AT3WA's are 3 peak rated. Look under the L next to the M + S
Screenshot_20201028-231109_Gallery.jpg

vinnieloo

Reaction score
I have done a bit of tire research already even though I am not buying yet. I did come across that the three peak mountain snowflake rated tires are only tested to meet 10% better traction in medium packed snow than regular M+S all seasons. It does not test braking or turning. Without personal experience, it sounds like they are better than all seasons but are not snow tires. Anyone have snow experience with those kinds of tires?

Crockett

Reaction score
I have been running Falken A/T tires on my Jeep Wrangler for the last two years. They are snow rated, and they wear like iron. I’m planning on putting them on the truck when the stockers wear out. They are quiet and produce good traction in all weather. No tire will replace 4X4, but they did well in the snow the last two winters. I would recommend them if you want a tire that can handle the snow, but don’t want a dedicated snow tire.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So many good tires out there to pick from. In my wife wrangler, she has duratrac and they look and ride very well. Only problem is that there is road noise going over 45-50mpg.

Saving some coin, and I'm down to ko2, wild peak, general grabbers...some really good considerations like nittos, coopers, and Firestone.

I'm guessing that for me out of all of those options, if its winter rated with the snowflake, and lowest price is the winner.

Owner of a 20 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Grew up driving in Boston area in the 70's..we all learned by borrowing our mom's wagon with one-wheel-peel drive. Winter was fish tail & donut season. No one I knew ever had a 4wd anything. Today it's a walk in the park

Kooch80

Reaction score
Lived for 6 years in Rhode Island and drive a Ram 2500 diesel for most of that time. Never added any weight on the winter. Had Firestone mud terrain tires at the time with no issues in the winter, including a couple of ski trip runs into NH and Mass. Your truck will be fine in my opinion. If you don't want to get new tires yet chains are another option that are much more cost effective for extra traction in the snow. I always like to run 4 high when I am in snow covered roads over 4 auto, Personal preference

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live above 1000' in NH. I think that a lot of your tire's performance depends on what type of driver you are. I had SRA's on my 15. Everyone on the web hated them but I did not have an issue with them. 2wd most of the time until the roads are snow covered then 4auto. I am a light footed driver and drive at speeds that I feel that I can comfortably stop at.

Now I have the Duellers, they seem to have the same internet reputation as the SRA's.... we'll see. I replaced the SRA's with Michelin LTX's and really did not notice any significant difference in winter driving.

Edit: First snow of the season tonight...maybe I'll give it a try in the am.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lived for 6 years in Rhode Island and drive a Ram 2500 diesel for most of that time. Never added any weight on the winter. Had Firestone mud terrain tires at the time with no issues in the winter, including a couple of ski trip runs into NH and Mass. Your truck will be fine in my opinion. If you don't want to get new tires yet chains are another option that are much more cost effective for extra traction in the snow. I always like to run 4 high when I am in snow covered roads over 4 auto, Personal preference
I say this with respect....tire chains are a waste of money and time any day of the week. Maybe on a front wheel drive car they might be needed or ATV but definitely not a AWD or 4WD vehicle.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I say this with respect....tire chains are a waste of money and time any day of the week. Maybe on a front wheel drive car they might be needed or ATV but definitely not a AWD or 4WD vehicle.
I'm guessing that your point of reference is from an aggressive AT tire but what about a AWD or 4WD with factory highway M&S? And of course there are some roads that require chains during certain periods.

reidcc

Reaction score
What bill-e wrote a couple of postings back reminded me of my first set of AT's on my 99.5 Pathfinder. The Pathfinder was my first 4WD vehicle and bought around Thanksgiving. The tires were not the greatest on, and we had a huge snowstorm coming in Christmas Eve and Day. I live 3 miles all uphill from town on a curvy narrow road. Learning to drive the pathfinder on snow down my road was a bit nervy, but Christmas Eve day- I bought 4 new AT's...I bought a set of the older Dueler A/T in 16 inch. These were before the Revo's- I think they were either 691's or 694's - can't remember. What I do remember is that those things were fantastic in bad weather. Of course that Pathy only had the 173 horse 3.3 motor and couldn't get out of its own way.

The Dueler AT's have not had a great reputation after that, and I had a set on my wifes Xterra - noisy and were dead by 35K.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread