5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question for Android Play users

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Through Android Auto in this case.

Kind of depends on how you download the music to your device and which player you are trying to use to play it.

It kind of breaks down like this.

Both Amazon and google play can play music through your phone in 2 different ways, they can stream it from your account in the cloud, or they can be set to play music offline which would be what you have downloaded to your phone. The way android auto works is when you select a player it's going to play from whichever setting you last used for that app on the phone itself.

So say you're using Amazon player streaming music from the cloud then plug your phone into android auto and choose Amazon as your player, its going to pick up where you left off and continue streaming music from the cloud sucking down your mobile data. The reverse is also true, so if you want to listen to offline music the easiest way is to select it from your phone in the amazon music app. and choose offline music from the drop down menu on the top of the screen. now when you use the app in android auto it continues playing from the device.

play music works in a similar fashion although getting it to only recognize music downloaded to your phone is a little different. On your phone on the top of of play music app it says music library and has 3 horizontal bars click those bars and at the bottom of the slide out menu there is a switch that says downloaded only. now it will only play music on the phone.

There is also a third option and that's to download one of the android auto compatible music players Like jetAudio or MD player. They will function like a typical media player and can only play music located on the phone itself. Now when you select JetAudio or MD player from the android auto menu you will be linked to only downloaded music and you don't have to worry about what amazon or play music were doing when you used them last. I have recently downloaded rocket music player but haven't had a chance to try it out yet but it looks good. The major benefit to playing your downloaded music through one of these players is that rocket and jetaudio both have 10 band eq with pre amp and since Android auto only functions as a front end and all of the digital processing is being done by your phone the music is streamed to the truck post processing allowing you to really dial in the EQ curve to your liking and not having to use the trucks crappy low mid high audio controls.

Hopefully all this was helpful.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Defined above but it's the electronic thingy that converts digital music (MP3, satellite, HD Radio, etc.) into analog so that us humans can hear, and enjoy it.
While this is true, the funny thing is that it gets repackaged into a digital signal, then sent down to the amp and the amp converts it back into analogue before sending it out to the speakers. The real reason that bluetooth sounds like crap versus a hardwired connection is because auto manufactures go cheap when they build their software, well the reason is 2 fold, one to keep cost down and the other to maintain compatibility with as many bluetooth devices as possible. Auto manufactures use old AVRCP standards and the bar minimum A2DP standards for their bluetooth transfer protocol and codec. Uconnect 4 as good as it is is still using what appears to be AVRCP 1.3 or maybe a stripped version of 1.4, the current version is 1.6 and they use the bare minimum SBC codec. There are much better codecs available that would allow CD quality sound over bluetooth but you have to license them from either APTx from qualcomm or LDAC from sony. Different compression technology allows better sound quality over bluetooths narrow bandwidth. Crappy bluetooth audio has to with $$$$ not technology.

John

Reaction score
I can't even figure out how to get Android Auto to work. All mine says is "no files found" while on USB 1 or 2. Doesn't seem to even recognize something is connected! Can someone walk me thru the install??

Thanks, John

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't even figure out how to get Android Auto to work. All mine says is "no files found" while on USB 1 or 2. Doesn't seem to even recognize something is connected! Can someone walk me thru the install??

Thanks, John

I had to delete the app off my phone and reinstall... worked fine after that.

Smoot178

Reaction score
You also don't click into the USB source option on media. You use the "Android Auto" app from the drawer on the screen. When you first connect, your phone should walk through a wizard in the phone side android auto app.

Gearwhine

Reaction score
Ended up going with Rocket Audio to play my stored media....works exactly how I had hoped. No need to pay for it at this time...doesn't affect it's use through android audio as far as I've noticed.

Thanks for the information!

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ended up going with Rocket Audio to play my stored media....works exactly how I had hoped. No need to pay for it at this time...doesn't affect it's use through android audio as far as I've noticed.

Thanks for the information!
No problem, I was an early adopter of android auto , spent a lot of time with it figuring out what it can do and the best way to utilize your music. I currently use the paid version of jet audio because of its sound processing capabilities and the paid version has a 20 band eq. Just replaced the front dash speakers with some jbl gx302 and it really brought the alpine system to life having real tweeters

Users who are viewing this thread