5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about wheels tires for my 2020 bighorn 3.6

RonBang

Reaction score
Question...i have a 2020 1500 2WD bighorn 3.6l. I know not a hemi im fine with that fits my needs. But question is if a 12.5 wide tire is to much for it? Seen somewhere to keep it like 11.5 wide. Want the 12.5 for wheel protection when going through McDs drive through lol. But seriously going 33x12.5r20 should be fine right or no? Cant see an inch more taking all to much power away. I had ten wides on my optima and made no difference. Any info on this would be great.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think most (if not all) of the factory rims on a 1500 are 9" wide. Given that, there are a couple of things to consider. Going to a 12.5" tire on factory offset 9" rims effectively adds 3.5" track width, approximately 1.75" out on each side. The bigger thing to consider is adding 3.5" of tire width on those rims would make your tires look like balloons. If you want to change to aftermarket wheels, go with something that more closely matches your preferred tire width, and definitely pay attention to your offset. There are some threads in this section that give some good reference and advice on that. Good luck choosing, and post some pics when you are done!

19 North

Reaction score
It would be great if there was some way to search for the answer to questions... I’ve heard about something called the internet, but not sure where to find it.

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
Question...i have a 2020 1500 2WD bighorn 3.6l. I know not a hemi im fine with that fits my needs.

is if a 12.5 wide tire is to much for it?

Sounds like it DOESN'T fit your needs. The bigger issue here is clearance. You are not clearing your control arms without wheel spacers or different wheels with the correct offset/backspacing.

RonBang

Reaction score
I see plenty of people going with 20x10 wheel and 33x12.5R20 -25 offset. They are mostly the hemi. But none of them mention wheel spacers. Only a like a 2.5 inch level. Some without the level. But non have mentioned spacers with that size wheel and tire. I know it fits fine with no problems. Question was going to a 12.5 wide tire would that make the 3.6 work to hard. I’ve had staggered setup on a optima with 20x10 wheels in the back and it was fine...so just wondering if the truck would be fine...

RonBang

Reaction score
It would be great if there was some way to search for the answer to questions... I’ve heard about something called the internet, but not sure where to find it.
It wasn’t about comparing tires. I know this setup fits fine. 20x10 wheel with 33x12.5R20. Question was would that make the 3.6 work to hard since it’s 12.5 wide...seen so some say somewhere to go 11.5 but thats no protection for cruising through the McDs drive through lol...had 20x10 on an optima in the rear and it was fine I’m figuring the truck would be fine also

RonBang

Reaction score
I think most (if not all) of the factory rims on a 1500 are 9" wide. Given that, there are a couple of things to consider. Going to a 12.5" tire on factory offset 9" rims effectively adds 3.5" track width, approximately 1.75" out on each side. The bigger thing to consider is adding 3.5" of tire width on those rims would make your tires look like balloons. If you want to change to aftermarket wheels, go with something that more closely matches your preferred tire width, and definitely pay attention to your offset. There are some threads in this section that give some good reference and advice on that. Good luck choosing, and post some pics when you are done!
I’m going to 20x10 wheels with 33x12.5R20 -25 offset. Seen plenty of people with this mostly hemi‘s. Was seeing if going 12.5 would make the 3.6 work harder had 20x10 on the rear On an optima and it was fine I’m figuring the truck would be fine also. Some people say it’s fine without a level so,e have a level...none say anything about spacer...

RonBang

Reaction score
Sounds like it DOESN'T fit your needs. The bigger issue here is clearance. You are not clearing your control arms without wheel spacers or different wheels with the correct offset/backspacing.
Why wouldn’t that fit my needs...seeing if it’s fine for the truck or to much...how is that not my needs. I dont “need” 12.5 wide just seeing if it’s ok. 20x10 with 33x12.5R20 -25 offset...maybe level maybe not

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
Why wouldn’t that fit my needs...seeing if it’s fine for the truck or to much...how is that not my needs. I dont “need” 12.5 wide just seeing if it’s ok. 20x10 with 33x12.5R20 -25 offset...maybe level maybe not

Okay, your original post only mentioned tires. The first reply you got talked about bigger tires on stock wheels.

33x12.50r20 on 20x10 -25 offset will work, I have the same specs wheels with 35s. If you would have said those specs in the original post maybe there wouldn't be confusion.

I have no experience with the V6 and don't know anyone with a full size with a N/A V6, sorry.

Question, what is this optima you keep referring to? Is that a truck outside of the US?

RonBang

Reaction score
Okay, your original post only mentioned tires. The first reply you got talked about bigger tires on stock wheels.

33x12.50r20 on 20x10 -25 offset will work, I have the same specs wheels with 35s. If you would have said those specs in the original post maybe there wouldn't be confusion.

I have no experience with the V6 and don't know anyone with a full size with a N/A V6, sorry.

Question, what is this optima you keep referring to? Is that a truck outside of the US?
Yeah sorry thought I mentioned the wheel and tire size. the optima is a Kia Optima i had a staggered setup on it with 20x10 in the rear and 20x8 in the front.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t know if this is a concern for you or not but if you get into an LT tire on the pentastar it will absolutely kill you mpg because they are so much heavier. I only mention that because it happened to me when I had one. And if that was part of the reason you got the V6 instead of the hemi then it will all be for not

RonBang

Reaction score
I don’t know if this is a concern for you or not but if you get into an LT tire on the pentastar it will absolutely kill you mpg because they are so much heavier. I only mention that because it happened to me when I had one. And if that was part of the reason you got the V6 instead of the hemi then it will all be for not
basically all tires that are gonna fit on a 20x10 that are 33x12.5R20 are LT tires. No didn’t get the hemi cause of that. Got the 3.6 cause my car was cosmetically starting to slowly go and just bought a house and needed a truck. didn’t feel like payin an extra like 5-8k for it. lol my works like 5 mins away and gyms like 10 mins away. Had truck for like about 8 months only out like maybe 3,800 miles on it so far. was gonna go with the Kendra Klever RT. Even the Nitto420v is LT all are basically LT...

WyoRam21

Reaction score
basically all tires that are gonna fit on a 20x10 that are 33x12.5R20 are LT tires. No didn’t get the hemi cause of that. Got the 3.6 cause my car was cosmetically starting to slowly go and just bought a house and needed a truck. didn’t feel like payin an extra like 5-8k for it. lol my works like 5 mins away and gyms like 10 mins away. Had truck for like about 8 months only out like maybe 3,800 miles on it so far. was gonna go with the Kendra Klever RT. Even the Nitto420v is LT all are basically LT...
I really like the look of those Klever RT. They seem to do well on everything but packed snow and ice.

Users who are viewing this thread