5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about title and trade in

hustlinowl

Reaction score
I am considering going to a dealership this weekend to look at a few RAMs I found online. I have a trade-in (owned free and clear) but it's in my wife's name. The dealership is 3 hours away and my wife is busy this weekend. Does anyone know if I can still trade in the vehicle without her present?

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am considering going to a dealership this weekend to look at a few RAMs I found online. I have a trade-in (owned free and clear) but it's in my wife's name. The dealership is 3 hours away and my wife is busy this weekend. Does anyone know if I can still trade in the vehicle without her present?
My Trans Am was bought on my dads name, and he had to work the day I went to trade it. The salesman and I met him at his office so he could sign an act of donation form to allow me to trade it on my own.

I’d call the dealership, maybe they could sent you that paperwork that she could sign before you go. Would probably have to be notarized, if she’s not too busy for that.

....or wait til next weekend ;)

hustlinowl

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. Yeah I will probably talk to the dealership but like to keep the trade-in fact until we start talking offers. But I guess there is no way around it if she can't make the trip with me.

Tundralag

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. Yeah I will probably talk to the dealership but like to keep the trade-in fact until we start talking offers. But I guess there is no way around it if she can't make the trip with me.

I would not say a word... The salesman is making the deal.. once you get the offer on the car the details are worked out with finance.. it just might require a second trip.. 3 hours no big deal.. Or do what I did.. Find the Exact truck you want.. make the deal over the phone with the internet sales guy.. make him send you all the paperwork and offers.. Then if he wont drive the truck to you then you and your wife go on another day once the deal is done and finalized.

I bought my truck from a dealer 12 hours away from my house.. New exactly what I wanted.. He had what I wanted and the entire deal was done over email.
Once the paperwork was approved he drove the new truck to me and picked up my trade.. Free of charge.. From start to finish the deal took one day and one day for delivery..

hustlinowl

Reaction score
I would not say a word... The salesman is making the deal.. once you get the offer on the car the details are worked out with finance.. it just might require a second trip.. 3 hours no big deal.. Or do what I did.. Find the Exact truck you want.. make the deal over the phone with the internet sales guy.. make him send you all the paperwork and offers.. Then if he wont drive the truck to you then you and your wife go on another day once the deal is done and finalized.

I bought my truck from a dealer 12 hours away from my house.. New exactly what I wanted.. He had what I wanted and the entire deal was done over email.
Once the paperwork was approved he drove the new truck to me and picked up my trade.. Free of charge.. From start to finish the deal took one day and one day for delivery..

Wow. That sounds like a dream (getting the deal done over the internet). I have been emailing back and forth with a few dealerships and they all are begging me to come in (I get why).

But yeah I could easily make a second trip if necessary.

Gitter

Reaction score
Like Tundralag said, it might require a 2nd trip, but it shouldn’t hold things up with your deal.

A few years ago, I bought a Tacoma and was trading in another vehicle for it. My wife was not with me when I bought it, but her name was on the registration. They had no problems closing the deal (even through financing) and then having her come back a couple days later to sign the forms.

Now, if it’s a dealer that is far away and you do not want to go back to, then I’d recommend getting a power of attorney that grants you full rights to sell the vehicle on her behalf. We do it all the time in the military because when we move, we need others to help ship or sell our vehicle after we have left. Just make sure it has the vehicle details such as VIN, license plate, mileage, etc in the POA...and make sure it is notarized properly.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have the title in hand, couldn't she just sign it over to you? You may need to visit a notary but you guys can do that in the interim......fair warning, depending on your state, there could be sales tax involved from you.

Tundralag

Reaction score
Wow. That sounds like a dream (getting the deal done over the internet). I have been emailing back and forth with a few dealerships and they all are begging me to come in (I get why).

But yeah I could easily make a second trip if necessary.
They want you to come into the dealership so they can work that salesman magic on your ***... Its 2019 No reason in the world to visit the dealership until the deal is done.. Now with that said.. I did go to my local dealer to test drive, look, drool etc. before my mind was made up.. I looked on cars.com found several really great deals (June).. Took them back to my local dealer.. who almost has a monopoly on the market.. He could not come within 10K of the deal I got in Wichita falls Tx.. the rest is history.. I already had a pre approval to from the bank to finance about anything I wanted..(thanks you no bills and 790 CR)
Bing bang bong.. I was driving my new Longhorn..

Hope this helps.. Don't fall for the dealer ******** and add-ons etc.. Don't be afraid to walk.. Ram makes lots of Trucks.. that dealer is not the only one that has that exact truck.. I have no issues driving from Hell Paso to Georgia, SC, Florida.. to save 5-6K on a deal..

Klute

Reaction score
Not sure as it may vary from state to state, but I think you just need your wife's signature. Maybe contact your bank and ask them the question OR possible look at your state's DMV website under FAQ.

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
Look on the back of the title... there should be instructions on where she should sign it. The dealer will probably have to fax her a form and need a copy of her DL.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Maple

Reaction score
Varies by state, here in Virginia I couldn't trade in vehicle that was in wife's name and have my name on the new title (some tax avoidance issue I think), so I sold it and just bought the truck in a separate transaction.

yellowboy

Reaction score
Most states have a power of attorney form from DMV , you take it to a notary with her and she gives you the authority to sign her name for her without being present. Just sold my 07 F150 Monday that way

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score
My dealer had me sign a POA (limited to only allowing the title to be signed by dealer) when I put the truck under contract. I kept my car & title for two more weeks waiting for the Ram to be delivered from the freight yard. When I went to pick up the pickupthere was nothing left to do/sign...I test drove the Ram, handed over the car keys & title, and drove off with the Ram. They told me to not sign the title or the POA would be invalid and I’d have to pay for a new title. Other than the freight yard being a pain (another guy’s truck was trapped for 3 weeks and counting), the final exchange was effortless.

Barney556180

Reaction score

In most states the owner can sign the title and the rest is completed by the dealer.

I’ve traded several vehicles where my wife was on the title but not with me at the dealer.

James1414d

Reaction score
I'd call first, but it shouldn't matter.

Not exactly the same scenario, but I didn't even have to produce a title on my last trade in. I guess in Oregon anyway, the release of intrest form is enough.

Users who are viewing this thread