5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about speakers and ANC with UConnect 12" and Alpine sound system

LGBarnett

Reaction score
I am in the process of upgrading the speakers on my 2019 Limited with Alpine sound. I have been reading many threads/comments here on how to do this and what pitfalls/issues to be aware of. Due to the numerous threads I have settled on the Infinity Reference speakers (3022s front & center, 9633s rear doors). I see many folks also changing out front door speakers but decided to keep the stock ones there. Thanks for those helpful postings.

My question is regarding the ANC (active noise cancellation). I have read that the front speakers are not used for ANC because they are crossed over for mids and highs only and therefore no impacts due to replacing those. I have also read that replacing the rear sub definitely impacts ANC. The front door woofers also seem to impact ANC but maybe not always? I have not read any definitive comments on rear door speakers impacting ANC. So I did a little research and it seems that ANC in auto environments work best for low frequencies; how low, could not find anything definitive. I also figured out with my ear that the rear door speakers are either full range or even crossed over because I hear little or no low freq bass from them. So my thinking is that if you avoid changing the front door woofers or the rear sub you may avoid ANC issues. Does anyone know definitively which speakers are part of the ANC feature?

One other tidbit I learned is that the speakers need to be in reverse phase of the ANC sound source in order to work. I have read where folks have changed polarity back to in phase which I suspect would have caused ANC issues.

I am still waiting on the correct speaker adapters for the dash. I got the Metra 71-050 from Crutchfield as this is what was recommended, but they only fit the doors. Had to get the 72-7902 for the dash. Anyone see issues with these?

Infinity Ref Speakers.jpg

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To my knowledge, the subwoofer and all four doors play a part in the ANC system. The front doors are bass only, the rear speakers are full range. You will get the biggest improvement from swapping out all the 3.5s as this will give you a proper tweeter. I went with JBL GX302s.

crangel

Reaction score
Did you have any ANC issues?
Did you lose much base response from the front doors?

No ANC issues at all. It ended up having all the same phases as stock . No loss of base, it is overall a much cleaner bass and is deeper / stronger if anything but without some of the booming resonance.

I would also add that the dash speaker should not impact the ANC at all. The doors will which is why I used the adapters that kept the phase the same as the stock speakers.

LGBarnett

Reaction score
Well, I just got finished with the install and went to test drive on highway to check ANC. This upgrade is awesome and no ANC issues! It totally transformed the sound quality of this system. What a waste that FCA would put such crap speakers on this system as it is obvious to me the head unit and Alpine amp are pushing some clean power out. It even sounds louder and I found my self only up to about 30 on volume whereas before I was around 34 to get same amount of sound. Probably combo of sensitivity and tweeters/supertweeters. I was fearful the 3ohms would result in a little less volume than the 2+ ohm factory speakers. What a great system upgrade for $250. I feel like I made out like a bandit vs ponying up an additional $1200 for the HK option.

I did install the dash first and listened, then did the rear doors. Takeaway, the dash speakers certainly made a huge difference, but the rear door speaker also made a very noticable improvement by making the improved treble and mids feel more immersive.

My wife's Genesis has the Lexicon (Harmon Kardon) system that many publications have lauded as the best factory system they have heard. I tend to agree. This updated Alpine/Inifinity setup sounds as good and even has a bit more treble and bass to use, if you want.

Users who are viewing this thread