5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

question about RV length...

BoxerguyT89

Reaction score
Just towed this beast from Shelbyville, KY to Santa Clause IN. There were some significant grades along the way.
RamCamperSmall-2903602.jpg

The truck is a 2020 5.7 with 3.21 gears. I've added a Hellwig sway bar on the highest setting, Timbren SES helper springs, Power Stop Pads and Rotors and Billstein shocks. Engine tuned with HP Tuners.

I have the Weigh Safe True Tow hitch and the camper is 28' (34' ball to bumber). The whole rig with family and gear weighed 14,500lbs at a cat scale. Truck towed it fine. Up some of the worst grades it shifted down to 4th gear a few times, running between 3,000 and 3,500 rpm. This only happened about 5 time total for the round trip.

I had a little porpoising on the way up because I guessed the trailer weight low. After weighing at the cat scale it seems the camper is somewhere around 9,500lbs. Made adjustments to the hitch and the porpoising was gone.

Got about 12mpg on the trip.

Yes, I know I was technically overweight...
We have a 29' Springdale but it only had one entrance so seems to be a little different. The dry weight on ours is listed at 6800lbs, probably ~7200lbs with all our gear in it.

We really enjoy ours, my truck, very similar to yours (3.21, 5.7, but I have 35s), pulls it well.

Users who are viewing this thread