5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about installing fender flares

Mirowpl

Reaction score
My 2020 big horn did not have flares and I want to put them on. I have never done this. it looks like I can handled it but I have one question. What do do with the small mud guards ( I think they are actually called splats). Do you removed them and not reinstall them ? I just cannot seem to find out what you do with these things. I want the oem style and just plan to keep them black I’m case anyone was wonderin. I have looked at a lot of various ones out there. It enough to confuse anyone. Thanks for the info on the splats,Brian.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Either remove them or clearance the flares to clear then

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hahaha...they're called spats, not splats. :)

I honestly don't know the answer to your question about what to do with them. My Laramie has the factory fender flares, and also has the spats. I suspect there's a difference in them, depending on if you have flares or not. You might need to replace them if there's a difference. I suspect it also depends on which fender flares you decide on. Just be aware that the factory installed fender flares screw to the fenders, so they won't work on your truck without some modifications to your truck.

moparleo51

Reaction score
yes there are 2 different version spats, i had the bighorn without oem fender flares and put on a set of flares, i had to order a set of new spats to accomodate the flares.i`ll check and see if i can find the numbers

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
yes there are 2 different version spats, i had the bighorn without oem fender flares and put on a set of flares, i had to order a set of new spats to accomodate the flares.i`ll check and see if i can find the numbers
Did you install the OEM fender flares? How are was it?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

moparleo51

Reaction score
yes, it wasnt to hard, but you will have to cut or pull out the white clips that are on them(these are for the holes in the fenders on oem cars equiped with them) i bought a used set off a member here. i heard there are a few companys that make oem style flares without the clips .

Mirowpl

Reaction score
thanks for everyone’s help. I am looking at this set from eBay and it looks like it comes with new spats. I have emailed the company to ask but haven’t gotten a response. has anyone tried these? I will leave them black Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread