5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about 22" tires for towing

hoodac78

Reaction score
Sorry if this is not the place to post. I did some searching and I wasn't able to find any answers. I have a 27' travel trailer (7600lbs GVWR/5400lbs dry) which we will be towing with our 1500 Limited. I have the 22'' rims on it and was curious if any of you went to a LT tire or kept the passenger tire on it? What were your experiences, thoughts, recommendations etc? Thanks again everyone.

Reaction score
Not sure about the 22s but I have 20 inch rims the 4 inch lift and I pull a 18 foot pontoon boat fine. I do have the pedal commander which makes a lot of difference towing

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The LT tire will give you stiffer sidewalls which will help with sway. I'm not sure I'd go through the expense of swapping out the new tires before I towed with them. I just towed my 7k camper with the 20" Dueller Alenza and they were fine. I had upgraded my previous '15 Laramie with Michelin Defender LTX's and I didn't find them to perform all that much better than the Wrangler SRA's that the truck came with.

JDBob35a

Reaction score
I have 22s and pull my enclosed trailer with a car in it.
Hook up and take it for a little test drive and see what you think. Like bill-e said, I don't think I'd go buy tires before I had tried what I have.

JAMFlyfisher

Reaction score
Sorry if this is not the place to post. I did some searching and I wasn't able to find any answers. I have a 27' travel trailer (7600lbs GVWR/5400lbs dry) which we will be towing with our 1500 Limited. I have the 22'' rims on it and was curious if any of you went to a LT tire or kept the passenger tire on it? What were your experiences, thoughts, recommendations etc? Thanks again everyone.
I have a very similar Laramie and was wondering about your towing experience. I haven’t thought much about upgrading tires as mine only have 7,500 miles on them. I am looking at 25-27 foot trailers and am just trying to learn from the experience of others. Did you replace your tires?

Zig10

Reaction score
I'll be the first to say that I hate the factory Goodyears that are on the 22s on my truck. The exec that put street tires on a pickup should be kicked in the crotch. That said, they trailer just fine, and the low sidewalls do help with stability at speed. My boat is around 7500 lbs wet weight on the trailer, and around 28' LOA. The truck pulls it very well up through interstate speeds.

There are many good reasons to ditch those tires, including the fact that they suck in the snow (as I learned when I had them on my old CTS), but for towing they should be fine.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'll be the first to say that I hate the factory Goodyears that are on the 22s on my truck. The exec that put street tires on a pickup should be kicked in the crotch. That said, they trailer just fine, and the low sidewalls do help with stability at speed. My boat is around 7500 lbs wet weight on the trailer, and around 28' LOA. The truck pulls it very well up through interstate speeds.

There are many good reasons to ditch those tires, including the fact that they suck in the snow (as I learned when I had them on my old CTS), but for towing they should be fine.

Given the vast majority of trucks spend most of their life on the street/pavement/concrete, street tires ARE the correct choice. Most truck owners are truly utilizing the capabilities of a truck with HD/2500/3500 owners being the worse.

Zig10

Reaction score
Given the vast majority of trucks spend most of their life on the street/pavement/concrete, street tires ARE the correct choice. Most truck owners are truly utilizing the capabilities of a truck with HD/2500/3500 owners being the worse.

That may be the case, but pickup trucks are advertised as work vehicles, and when I drive mine into a construction site and get stuck because of the crap factory tires on it then they are not meeting the promised capability. There are dozens of Highway All Season tires that give at least a little of both worlds. The GY passenger touring tire is not one of them...

BowDown

Reaction score
That may be the case, but pickup trucks are advertised as work vehicles, and when I drive mine into a construction site and get stuck because of the crap factory tires on it then they are not meeting the promised capability. There are dozens of Highway All Season tires that give at least a little of both worlds. The GY passenger touring tire is not one of them...

I understand that but then again, you bought a truck with 22" wheels to use on job construction sites. I'd have opted for a different wheel/tire size combination if that was my intended use. The Limited is advertised as a Luxury Truck, not a work vehicle. My self, I have no need for an off road tire as I have zero intentions of taking a $65K into a situation where getting stuck in mud , ect would be an issue.
Some of the lower trim trucks, the rental Laramie I had for a week, had a off road/street tire. It didn't bother me due to it being a rental but I don't want to listen to a off road tire howl on the road much less wear out fast.

Last edited:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I understands that but then again, you bought a truck with 22" wheels to use on job construction sites. I'd have opted for a different wheel/tire size combination if that was my intended use. The Limited is advertised as a Luxury Truck, not a work vehicle. My self, I have no need for an off road tire as I have zero intentions of taking a $65K into a situation where getting stuck in mud , ect would be an issue.
Some of the lower trim trucks, the rental Laramie I had for a week, had a off road/street tire. It didn't bother me due to it being a rental but I don't want to listen to a off road tire howl on the road much less wear out fast.
You’ve hit the nail on the proverbial head.

Zig10

Reaction score
Luxury truck or not, 2" of mud and wet grass didn't slow down my AWD CTS wagon with a half decent set of tires when I had it on jobsites. Further, if Ram had no intention of these being use on anything but street duty, why put the high settings on the air suspension and equip with low range and a locking diff?

Everyone has their own opinion, obviously. Mine is that these tires were a stupid call on any 4WD vehicle.

BowDown

Reaction score
You're still missing the point, the masses that buy these trucks have the tires they want. The few (percentage wise) that need a different tire likely do not represent a significant customer base., kinda like me who'd rather have had a 6.2 Hellcat engine instead of the 5.7 N/A engine. I don't represent a significant % of buyers to make that an option so...

Last edited:

hoodac78

Reaction score
I have a very similar Laramie and was wondering about your towing experience. I haven’t thought much about upgrading tires as mine only have 7,500 miles on them. I am looking at 25-27 foot trailers and am just trying to learn from the experience of others. Did you replace your tires?
Hey JAMFlyfisher. No I did not end up replacing them. They are pretty much brand new at this point, and I think I'll look into a different/better tire when the time comes that I need new ones. From what people have said so far, the 22" tire works just fine. Cheers.

djjr50

Reaction score
You're still missing the point, the masses that buy these trucks have the tires they want. The few (percentage wise) that need a different tire likely do not represent a significant customer base., kinda like me who'd rather have had a 6.2 Hellcat engine instead of the 5.7 N/A engine. I don't represent a significant 5 of buyers to make that an option so...
TRX seems to be an answer to the question that more than 5 people were asking...lucky you!

I do agree that many do not actually go into compromising situations. My 2wd will be getting slightly more aggressive tires that are better in the rain and will do better in a muddy parking lot/soggy field/sandy beach. Those situations represent a small fraction of usage for me, and obviously represent a larger fraction for others.

The Goodyear Touring tires are NOT the best choice. It isnt that great in rain and accelerating through a corner (i.e. from an intersection turning right) with the most modest of feet can illicit a screech from the inside right tire...with 3.21 gears, no less! They dont even have rim protection! Obviously, an engineer/the engineering team didnt make this tire their first choice, but as a compromise of many factors, including incentives from Goodyear, production capacity, fuel economy, etc.

To the OP's question, I've never towed but I've hauled roughly 800lbs of bricks and it didnt squirm like my 07 Ford FX4 Screw with 18's and plenty of sidewall. Though I had the original BF Goodrich Rugged Trails on them...not an LT.

BowDown

Reaction score
TRX seems to be an answer to the question that more than 5 people were asking...lucky you!

I do agree that many do not actually go into compromising situations. My 2wd will be getting slightly more aggressive tires that are better in the rain and will do better in a muddy parking lot/soggy field/sandy beach. Those situations represent a small fraction of usage for me, and obviously represent a larger fraction for others.

The Goodyear Touring tires are NOT the best choice. It isnt that great in rain and accelerating through a corner (i.e. from an intersection turning right) with the most modest of feet can illicit a screech from the inside right tire...with 3.21 gears, no less! They dont even have rim protection! Obviously, an engineer/the engineering team didnt make this tire their first choice, but as a compromise of many factors, including incentives from Goodyear, production capacity, fuel economy, etc.

To the OP's question, I've never towed but I've hauled roughly 800lbs of bricks and it didnt squirm like my 07 Ford FX4 Screw with 18's and plenty of sidewall. Though I had the original BF Goodrich Rugged Trails on them...not an LT.

I meant % not 5 and I have zero use for a offroad 707 HP truck. I'd want that in a street version so no, I dint represent a significant enough group. The GY Touring tires are the best choice for likely 90% of Ram buyers, they aren't likely the best choice for the remaining 10% but overall, they suit the buyers needs

TonyW

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I am actually having this issue right now. I am towing a 24ish' total length Grand Design 2250RK which is around 7k and these tires are wearing fast. It has been advised that I switch them out quickly to a better towing rated tire. The sidewalls are just too soft. Even with a load distribution hitch which will have some sway control, anything over 60 mph will get some minor sway. Yes, the trailer is weighted front biased and we are not close to the max towing or payload numbers and yes this is a brick in the wind, but I can tell the rear end does feel a bit spongy. I am looking for tire recommendations if anyone has experience. So for what it is worth - My truck has 5600 miles on it with 1000 miles roughly of towing and the tires are at 1/2 their expected life. (this is according to discount when I had a nail in the tire and they gave me a reported measurement of the tire depth with a written statement that this is premature wearing at your mileage. When I explained I was towing, they mentioned this tire is far too soft.

Attachments

• File_000 (1).jpeg
    File_000 (1).jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 16

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What air pressure do you set the tires to when towing?

The 22” Goodyear Eagle Touring are actually fine for towing , they have a stiffer sidewall with a “XL” load rating vs the 20" Dueller Alenza ‘s softer “SL” load rating.

LHarv

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I am actually having this issue right now. I am towing a 24ish' total length Grand Design 2250RK which is around 7k and these tires are wearing fast. It has been advised that I switch them out quickly to a better towing rated tire. The sidewalls are just too soft. Even with a load distribution hitch which will have some sway control, anything over 60 mph will get some minor sway. Yes, the trailer is weighted front biased and we are not close to the max towing or payload numbers and yes this is a brick in the wind, but I can tell the rear end does feel a bit spongy. I am looking for tire recommendations if anyone has experience. So for what it is worth - My truck has 5600 miles on it with 1000 miles roughly of towing and the tires are at 1/2 their expected life. (this is according to discount when I had a nail in the tire and they gave me a reported measurement of the tire depth with a written statement that this is premature wearing at your mileage. When I explained I was towing, they mentioned this tire is far too soft.

Regardless of what the shop said, my good years didnt last much longer then that and I hadn't towed much at all before swapping them out. They are a relatively cheap tire. Don't expect a long life from them. The small amount of towing I did with my 5500lbs boat they seemed to do the job.

Users who are viewing this thread