5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quad cab question?

Personal experience, this is the biggest reason why I 1. bought a new truck and 2. bought a Crew Cab. My Titan was a King Cab (Quad Cab equivalent), and with 2 car seats, a 6' tall wife, and one of my sons being extremely tall (37" tall before he was 2), there was no room left. An infant carrier seat HAD to go in the middle (unsafe) as it stuck between the two front seats. My 2.5 year old son was behind the passenger seat, and there were two options: My wife was crammed into the front with her knees sideways and touching the glovebox, or my son had his knees touching his chest while my wife had a tiny bit of room in the front. It is doable, but not comfortable for any decent stretch of time. Add to that two 40 pound dogs, and nothing else was fitting in the cab of the truck.

This isn't the greatest picture, but the infant carrier base was about 2" from the center console, and you can see my 2 year old's feet touching the passenger seat which was moved almost all the way forward and leaned forward. A 4' tall person might have been comfortable in the front seat with this setup.

Attachments

• 2020-02-28.jpg
    2020-02-28.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 50
Sorry for the late post, but here's some pics I just took with my grandson's car seat. I am 6'1", but I tend to have my seat a little further forward than most drivers my height. YMMV. As you can see, not much room if you put the car seat on the driver's side. Rear facing I couldn't even get it in there properly. Forward facing fits, but the kid's feet will be kicking the **** out of your seat back. In the middle position it will fit both ways, but it's right up against the front seats. I didn't try the passenger side. I guess that would depend on how much legroom they were willing to give up. Good luck!
I can't believe how many stickers they put on car seats now-a-days. Back when we had 4 kids they were plain jane and every one of our kids survived:LOL:

I think we are fixating to much on child car seat and not on big picture. Sure you can afix a baby car seat anywhere but will it be enough room down the road or even now?

I can't believe how many stickers they put on car seats now-a-days. Back when we had 4 kids they were plain jane and every one of our kids survived:LOL:
Agree. Those car seats also didn't weigh about 200 lbs like these modern ones do! o_O:LOL:

Sons born in 91, 93 and 98 and in January of 2001 I bought a 2001 Quad cab, all sons survived. Looking back it was tight. For my 2019 I originally was buying a Quad cab, long bed because I like the look better but I went with the crew, short bed. I felt the rear seat would be utilized more so than the bed of the truck.
Results:
Anybody who rides in back loves it.
I use the back seat for Costco runs vs the bed on the 2001
Tools in the back seat also better security.

I have 2019 Classic Quad Cab, which I think has similar dimensions to the new one. We have one two year old who is still rear facing with a second child on the way; I’m 6’3”, wife 5’9”.

We only use the rear facing car seat in the middle position, and even there it is close to the front seats, but not a problem at all. It is a problem that my wife doesn’t appreciate having to climb into the pickup to buckle my kid into the middle each time. It won’t work at all behind me driving, but could work behind my wife if she really scoots forward.

Honestly, as my kids get older this problem will go away. I’m fine sitting in the back row of a quad cab myself in full comfort, it’s just the big oversized car seats that are hard to fit. Once the car seats are gone my kids will never be too big for a quad cab.

I have 2019 Classic Quad Cab, which I think has similar dimensions to the new one. We have one two year old who is still rear facing with a second child on the way; I’m 6’3”, wife 5’9”.

We only use the rear facing car seat in the middle position, and even there it is close to the front seats, but not a problem at all. It is a problem that my wife doesn’t appreciate having to climb into the pickup to buckle my kid into the middle each time. It won’t work at all behind me driving, but could work behind my wife if she really scoots forward.

Honestly, as my kids get older this problem will go away. I’m fine sitting in the back row of a quad cab myself in full comfort, it’s just the big oversized car seats that are hard to fit. Once the car seats are gone my kids will never be too big for a quad cab.

Once the car seats are gone... That's the thing. Can you stand it for another 6+ years depending on your child's size? My boss's kids are 8 and 6, both of which are still in car/booster seats because they're below 50% height and weight for their age.

My in-laws ride in the back of my quad cab all the time. Even with the driver seat all the way back, they still have plenty of room.

Maybe the newer quad cabs are smaller than my '05.

My in-laws ride in the back of my quad cab all the time. Even with the driver seat all the way back, they still have plenty of room.

Maybe the newer quad cabs are smaller than my '05.
If your going to haul people around get the crew cab. They could be smaller now. I have to drive in a fairly cramped position to have someone sit behind on the drivers side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back