5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QTP Electrical Exhaust Cutout Thoughts?

ksneubec

Reaction score
(I tried searching for anything on this but didn't find any threads- please re-direct me if this has been discussed)

On a Ram Rebel Facebook page I saw a member with a QTP Electrical Exhaust Cutout. He loves the sound, and the videos posted on the manufacturer's website sound great too. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these and specifically, if they'll hold up to the corrosion provided by New England winters. Any feedback is appreciated.

Javerso

Reaction score
There is a back story, but I’ll leave out. I had these in my Camaro about 10 years ago. Lasted about 6 months. Started to leak. They replaced them and about 6 months later it happened again. Hissing. Not closing completely. Sounded horrible. Could never get them to replace again. So I closed them up permanently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had QTPs on a Jeep, the motor stopped working on one, got a replacement. Installed the replacement and a few months after that, one wouldn't open, apparently the motor worked itself out and ripped itself out of the wiring harness and disappeared on the road somewhere. There is also an exhaust company that used them in their exhausts, had an issue with them in there too. So yes they sound great but I've had my share of issues with them.

satcomtim

Reaction score
I installed the qtp aggressor about a month ago. No issues thus far. Got the wireless piece so I use the homelink buttons for control

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There is a back story, but I’ll leave out. I had these in my Camaro about 10 years ago. Lasted about 6 months. Started to leak. They replaced them and about 6 months later it happened again. Hissing. Not closing completely. Sounded horrible. Could never get them to replace again. So I closed them up permanently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had the same type of issues as above on the right bank exhaust on my mustang. The left one never had an issue. I had them on for about 5 months and sold the car.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That style of valve will rattle as soon as the actuator strips the coupling. In my experience we tried everything, up to and including, having a welder spot weld the coupler in place. The actuators are junk and when you go WOT you're generating so much heat that eventually the cheap components just fail. After going through multiple failures, it just wasn't worth it in the end.

If you can find it, there's a blast gate style of valve that rotates a solid plate in and out of the airstream. This would be a much better valve/actuator setup, but it's not cheap.

Nova90

Reaction score
Back in my Corvette days, nothing but issues with them going flakey after a short time and not fully opening / closing. I would just get a cat back exhaust instead of doing cut outs.

ksneubec

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. I think for now I will avoid them.

Users who are viewing this thread