5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Push to Start button stopped working (even after new car battery)

PanzerFreak

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2019 Bighorn 4x4 (v6) with about 40,000 miles on it, bought it certified preowned. The other day I noticed that my truck wouldn't start. I attempted to charge the battery but no luck (would just sit at 25% on the charger). I bought a new AGM battery, installed it, and the doors and locks worked. My problem now is that the Push to Start button refuses to work for me to put the truck into gear. I can remotely start the truck from the key fob and turn it off but the button is not reacting. I did notice while charging the original battery and after I got the new battery that a "Press brake and Push Button to Start" message is on the LCD, even if I lock the truck the screen and message stays on. That screen being on (one in front of the steering wheel) may be why the original batter changed. For now I disconnected the new battery.

My issue sounds fairly similar to the one below. Has anyone else had this problem? Would you recommend I attempt to replace the push button or have it towed to the dealer? I do have coverage to have it towed under my warranty.

Thank you

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Uh oh. The dreaded rear window leak has struck again I think. This happened to me and many other people. Check your florring in the rear for dampness. The sliding rear window frame cracks and lets water in. It fries your push button start module which is located behind your rear seat. I hope this is not the case. But, seeing as you have monkeyed with the battery with no help...

PanzerFreak

Reaction score
Uh oh. The dreaded rear window leak has struck again I think. This happened to me and many other people. Check your florring in the rear for dampness. The sliding rear window frame cracks and lets water in. It fries your push button start module which is located behind your rear seat. I hope this is not the case. But, seeing as you have monkeyed with the battery with no help...
Thanks for the tip, will check! Did the dealer fix your rear window leak up warranty? What's interesting with this issue is that the original battery refused to charge after it died. However, the screen in front of the steering wheel was always on so maybe that's why it couldn't charge? If not maybe it is a battery issue after all? I wonder if I need to let the truck sit with the battery disconnected for a while or reconnect and let it run for a while to see if that clears anything up.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, will check! Did the dealer fix your rear window leak up warranty? What's interesting with this issue is that the original battery refused to charge after it died. However, the screen in front of the steering wheel was always on so maybe that's why it couldn't charge? If not maybe it is a battery issue after all? I wonder if I need to let the truck sit with the battery disconnected for a while or reconnect and let it run for a while to see if that clears anything up.
You should definitely try that. Ram Care took care of me but it sounds like FCA isn't allowing it any more.

PanzerFreak

Reaction score
You should definitely try that. Ram Care took care of me but it sounds like FCA isn't allowing it any more.
Ok cool. Yeah I checked the back floor area and didn't notice anything wet, will check again tomorrow. I just tried to start the car again after leaving the battery cables off the new battery for a few hours. Once the cables were reconnected I noticed a "Press key fob to push button start" message on the screen, that went away within 30 seconds and then the normal "Press Brake and Push Button" prompt appeared. Still no luck (same with pressing the key fob to it). Now what's odd this time is that the remote start wouldn't work from either key fob. Some of the other dash lights are on too which is odd. I just put the new battery on the charger, it's flashing at 25% so hoping it ramps up quickly, not sure what is going on.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok cool. Yeah I checked the back floor area and didn't notice anything wet, will check again tomorrow. I just tried to start the car again after leaving the battery cables off the new battery for a few hours. Once the cables were reconnected I noticed a "Press key fob to push button start" message on the screen, that went away within 30 seconds and then the normal "Press Brake and Push Button" prompt appeared. Still no luck (same with pressing the key fob to it). Now what's odd this time is that the remote start wouldn't work from either key fob. Some of the other dash lights are on too which is odd. I just put the new battery on the charger, it's flashing at 25% so hoping it ramps up quickly, not sure what is going on.
Exactly what happened to me. I hope it's not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online