5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Push button start only working after 4-5 pushes... it clicks but no start

Tcooper1118

Reaction score
I'm getting mine replaced today, 55k miles. Mind telling me what they charged for it? Dealer by me is charging me $1,009 which includes $207 for "diagnostics". I had to get it towed it there so not a lot I could do about the price, they had me over a barrel.
Replaced mine at around 55k as well. RAM dealer charged $550.

Raydar

Reaction score
Are they ALL stealerships or just some?

Prices can vary from one to another. My local selling dealer wanted several hundred dollars to activate my (self-installed) trailer brake controller in the BCM.
The one across town wanted just about half that amount.
(I ended up buying AlfaOBD, and a Bluetooth dongle and Security Gateway Bypass. Turned it on myself. Also turned on my security alarm.)

Edit - I found a similar scenario with the stealers when I wanted to have SRT shocks/struts/springs installed in my Challenger R/T. Ended up going to an independent shop instead, and beating them all.

Tones1975

Reaction score
I read a lot of the issues. I replaced the battery a few weeks ago. Now this is happening... key fob start not working... then I push the button in the cab and it won't start but it clicks. Sometimes it starts right up. Sometimes I need to press the button on and off a couple times where it will only click... like a dead battery. But then it will start.

I am going to retest the battery today. Curious if there is something I can tell my mechanic to replace if battery is fine. The starter maybe?

2019 5th gen with 75k miles.

Thanks!!
My '19 Rebel non etorque hemi has done this off and on since new. Dealer could not reproduce so nothing done. Yesterday it left me stranded; no amount of presses of the button worked. I bought a new battery and that didn't work. Got under the truck and jumped the solenoid and the starter moter started going. Jumped in and it started right up. Not sure if this is just a bad connection or what. It's started a dozen times since with no issue. Pretty nasty weather up here in Canada to be rolling around under the truck so I'm hoping I'm not into changing the starter.

JoshSchoenmakers

Reaction score
My '19 Rebel non etorque hemi has done this off and on since new. Dealer could not reproduce so nothing done. Yesterday it left me stranded; no amount of presses of the button worked. I bought a new battery and that didn't work. Got under the truck and jumped the solenoid and the starter moter started going. Jumped in and it started right up. Not sure if this is just a bad connection or what. It's started a dozen times since with no issue. Pretty nasty weather up here in Canada to be rolling around under the truck so I'm hoping I'm not into changing the starter.
Would your electric system trip every time you try to start? I am currently having starting issues. When I go to start my entire electrical system trips (dash, infotainment, speaker pops, etc). Then it takes a few seconds for it to recover then same issue occurs again.

2019 5.7L longhorn, 85K KM.

Tones1975

Reaction score
Would your electric system trip every time you try to start? I am currently having starting issues. When I go to start my entire electrical system trips (dash, infotainment, speaker pops, etc). Then it takes a few seconds for it to recover then same issue occurs again.

2019 5.7L longhorn, 85K KM.
No everything is normal except it clicks once and doesn't turn over.

Reaction score
I replaced the starter. Everything’s good now. After I remove the starter, I could hear **** rattling around inside of the starter itself.

I think it has something to do with going airborne on my last off-road trip.

Users who are viewing this thread