5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Push button start only working after 4-5 pushes... it clicks but no start

Reaction score
I read a lot of the issues. I replaced the battery a few weeks ago. Now this is happening... key fob start not working... then I push the button in the cab and it won't start but it clicks. Sometimes it starts right up. Sometimes I need to press the button on and off a couple times where it will only click... like a dead battery. But then it will start.

I am going to retest the battery today. Curious if there is something I can tell my mechanic to replace if battery is fine. The starter maybe?

2019 5th gen with 75k miles.

Thanks!!

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You sure you got a good connection when you put the cables back on the battery? Your battery is probably fine (if it's new), but still could act like a bad battery if you have dirty connections.

Reaction score
That was my thought too. Remove and clean battery cables and see if it clears up.
Checked out the battery and cables, all good, and it's still happening.
The button works, turns on the acc when I press it, but just clicks instead of starting.
I tried methods of mashing the brake pedal to see if that has anything to do with it (to start), but no difference.
I assume it's something to do with the actual starter or wiring leading into it from the button?
For now I am just riding it out... sometimes it starts right up, other times I have to try several times for it to activate the starter.

...Anybody have this problem?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Checked out the battery and cables, all good, and it's still happening.
The button works, turns on the acc when I press it, but just clicks instead of starting.
I tried methods of mashing the brake pedal to see if that has anything to do with it (to start), but no difference.
I assume it's something to do with the actual starter or wiring leading into it from the button?
For now I am just riding it out... sometimes it starts right up, other times I have to try several times for it to activate the starter.

...Anybody have this problem?
What kind of truck is it? Knowing its a 2019 isn't enough information.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Did you check the areas that the battery cable grounds to? Not just at the battery but at the block? Did you take a look at the connection to the starter? I have not had problems with mine but it does sound like a grounding issue.

Reaction score
Did you check the areas that the battery cable grounds to? Not just at the battery but at the block? Did you take a look at the connection to the starter? I have not had problems with mine but it does sound like a grounding issue.
I'm doing this today and changing the key fob. I noticed when its raining it happens most. When its sunny out it starts right up. Thank you all so much for the help trying to figure out.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This may have been mentioned previously, but there was at least one recall for a grounding issue on 2019s (I had mine done years ago). The weird nature of your issue sounds like it could be related.

Reaction score
This may have been mentioned previously, but there was at least one recall for a grounding issue on 2019s (I had mine done years ago). The weird nature of your issue sounds like it could be related.
Hi again, I put my vin on the mopar site. No recalls. Anything else I can try? Should I just start replacing parts? I was thinking to change the starter? Replace the brand new battery?

Everything works electronically when the ignition button is pressed. Just not the starter (works every once in a while though (maybe 1 out of 10-15 attempts).

I have been trying for 2 days to reach someone at the dealership. I have 3 dealerships near me. None of which pick up the phone or return my vm.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just a thought...
You said it happens most when it's raining. Have you checked the interior of your cab for any dampness after a rain? There are a couple of known places where water can get in, and I'm wondering if some of your electronics are getting wet. Which might explain why you have more problems during rain.

ronmac7609

Reaction score
My starter needed to be replaced at around 35,000 - 2019 Big Horn. Thought it was the battery or an electrical issue at first. Replaced battery and took several trips to the dealer for them to finally replace the starter because they couldn't get it to happen until I left it overnight.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you are on your factory battery there's a very good chance it needs to be replaced.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi again, I put my vin on the mopar site. No recalls. Anything else I can try? Should I just start replacing parts? I was thinking to change the starter? Replace the brand new battery?

Everything works electronically when the ignition button is pressed. Just not the starter (works every once in a while though (maybe 1 out of 10-15 attempts).

I have been trying for 2 days to reach someone at the dealership. I have 3 dealerships near me. None of which pick up the phone or return my vm.
Did you look at all of the info in the Resources section on this site?

In the Recalls section of Technical Service Bulletins, there are two listed regarding grounding:

March 2019 - 48 Volt Ground Cable Fastener - Safety Recall V17
February 2019 - Ground Cable - Safety Recall V04

Your VIN may or not be applicable, but you can read through them and see if either sounds like it might be relevant.

rrlorentzen

Reaction score
My starter needed to be replaced at around 35,000 - 2019 Big Horn. Thought it was the battery or an electrical issue at first. Replaced battery and took several trips to the dealer for them to finally replace the starter because they couldn't get it to happen until I left it overnight.
I'm getting mine replaced today, 55k miles. Mind telling me what they charged for it? Dealer by me is charging me $1,009 which includes $207 for "diagnostics". I had to get it towed it there so not a lot I could do about the price, they had me over a barrel.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Holt sh!t! They do call them stealerships for a reason.
Rockauto's most expensive new Mopar starter is $179, including core charge.
Are they ALL stealerships or just some?

Yes $1000 to replace a starter is crazy. $180 part, $207 Diag fee, 1.0 labor to replace.... yup he is getting D!CKED.
Should be $500-600 job at $150 labor rate.

ronmac7609

Reaction score
I'm getting mine replaced today, 55k miles. Mind telling me what they charged for it? Dealer by me is charging me $1,009 which includes $207 for "diagnostics". I had to get it towed it there so not a lot I could do about the price, they had me over a barrel.
I have the extended warranty, so I’m not exactly sure what it cost. I just had to pay a deductible of 100 bucks I think. That seems high though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/