5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Purchasing a 2019 Ram 1500

Derek916

Reaction score
I saw a good deal for a 2019 Ram 1500 in my area with 30K miles and about a 22% lower than buying new. Is there anything from 2019 that I should be wary of? For right now, I can think of:

1. Uconnect 4 versus 5
2. Rear Window leak
3. Most likely can't extend warranty

Anything else I should consider?

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You might be able to extend warranty depending on original purchase date.

The AC performance is something you will want to check out on a pre Aug 1 2020 5th gen build. Put it on max recirculate and check the vent temps. There is a TSB for this but it requires tearing apart the dash.

You will want to replace the "third brake light" gasket with a marine gasket, and spend $10 on the updated screws.

Can you obtain all the service records? If it is being sold now by the original selling dealer you might be able to.

Last edited:

Derek916

Reaction score
You might be able to extend warranty depending on original purchase date.

The AC performance is something you will want to check out on a pre Aug 1 2020 5th gen build. Put it on max recirculate and check the vent temps. There is a TSB for this but it requires tearing apart the dash.

You will want to replace the "third brake light" gasket with a marine gasket, and spend $10 on the updated screws.

Can you obtain all the service records? If it is being sold now by the original selling dealer you might be able to.
It’s through Carmax and it does sound like the original warranty is still in tact so I should be able to extend it. Once you reserve a vehicle they take it off website so I can’t view it anymore. The deal just seems incredible especially when everything else on their website is listed at 59K and above.

Is the brake light a fairly simple task?

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, third brake light gasket is easy. Get a screwdriver, plastic trim removal tool, the weather stripping, a hair dryer, and some goo gone. A few threads on here about it. Key is getting all the old gasket and glue off (heat helps). Use painters tape to tape off the interior holes so debris doesn't get in the housing (I didn't do this and spent a long time getting it all out).

I got my weather stripping from lowes but think this is the same.

https://smile.amazon.com/M-D-Buildi...=1658614175&sprefix=marine+wea,aps,194&sr=8-4

Last edited:

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I saw a good deal for a 2019 Ram 1500 in my area with 30K miles and about a 22% lower than buying new. Is there anything from 2019 that I should be wary of? For right now, I can think of:

1. Uconnect 4 versus 5
2. Rear Window leak
3. Most likely can't extend warranty

Anything else I should consider?

I just traded in my '19 3 days ago. I bought it in June, 2019, so it's definitely possibly you could find a '19 that is still in warranty. I had a Mopar MaxCare 5/100 warranty on mine. No idea if the dealer will offer to transfer that to a buyer. Doubt it.

Anyway, it's under 36K miles. If it is still within 36 months of the original in-service date, you should be able to buy a normal factory extended warranty. If it's not, then the dealer OUGHT to certify it to sell as Certified Pre-Owned. In that case, they give you a 7 yr/100K warranty (7 years from original in-service date, 100K total miles) on the powertrain, and 3 months/3000 miles added to the factory bumper-to-bumper. From there, you can buy an extended warranty (through Mopar or aftermarket). The add-on warranties for a CPOV are very reasonably priced (if you do your research and go prepared to haggle).

I just bought a '21 with 17K miles on it, as a CPOV. I wanted a 7 yr/125K bumper-to-bumper extended warranty. I did my research beforehand and then haggled with the dealer. I ended up with my choice of a Mopar MaxCare or an Allstate - either with a $100 deductible - for about $1900. I've always had Mopar MaxCare, but I went with Allstate this time due to what appears to be superior rental car coverage. I've been left for days with no transportation too many times under my old MaxCare warranties.

M '19 had 72K on it when I traded. The only problem I ever had was the same problem I had something like 5 times on my '09 Hemi - an exhaust leak from the exhaust manifold area. On my '19, I think I had to have that repair done at around 50K miles and it was already starting to sound like the problem was back when I traded it. Hemis like to break exhaust manifold bolts. At least, the two I had did.

After test-driving a '22 with Uconnect 5 and reading about some of the first-year bugs they seem to be having with it, I'd say Uconnect 4 might be an advantage, not a disadvantage. I had the 12" screen in my '19 and never had any trouble with it.

Uconnect 5 has wireless CarPlay and Android Auto, but I never really felt a need for that on mine. None of that will run in full screen mode on the 12" (yet, anyway), so... meh.

Also, when I bought my '19, it was the good old days when Ram still did big factory incentives sometimes. Mine was a full 25% off sticker price when I bought it, brand new. That might have been a factor in the one you're looking at. Maybe the owner got a sweet deal on his, like I did on mine. And thus, was willing to trade it in for "cheap". I just took $36K on mine when I traded it. It was high mileage, needed tires, and had 3 minor cosmetic issues, so I felt like it was a fair price. But, I looked back today and saw what I paid for it. Paid $49K (on a sticker price of $65K or so), drove it for 3 years and 72K miles and sold it for $36K. I'm pretty happy with that!

Good luck with yours!

2019Raven

Reaction score
Make sure it is a US truck and not a truck they brought in from Canada. If it is from another country you can count on not having a warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread