5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pulsar / Tazer owner question - Tire Size & effect on Air Suspension

Would the speedo trick work to keep air suspension settings while off road?

• Yea, Probably

• No, Probably not

• Why is there a poll? Someone go try this!

• I'm just here for the show

Results are only viewable after voting.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have hopefully a unique question for Pulsar / Tazer owners - I had a thought to try this out, but don't own either device yet. That's where I'd need your help -

The tire size adjustment gave me an idea - Off Road height in an air suspension'd truck is limited to 27mph or so and the rear locker gives up at a given speed as well (40ish?) ; if you were to setup in offroad suspension settings and then set your tire diameter for 59" as opposed to stock 33 or so, that's a difference ratio of nearly 1.8 - meaning you could, in theory, keep your Off Road suspension height up to 48mph rather than have to baby the throttle when running down a fire road. The same goes for locker use (in the sand being my concern)

Other than Speedo/Odo readings being off (which I could care less for a day in the dunes), and safety aside (this is the mods forum after all), any other possible ill effects or errors that could occur?

can anyone try this and confirm? I figure the easiest test is to set entry/exit height or Off Road height and see if it auto-changes

I'm pretty sure this could work and would be beneficial for Off Road use

jojopinto

Reaction score
Pretty sure the Tazer will only go to a 41" tire size so it will help but not make as big a differance as you would like. From a 32" tire to a 41" is about 28% difference...

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pretty sure the Tazer will only go to a 41" tire size so it will help but not make as big a differance as you would like. From a 32" tire to a 41" is about 28% difference...

Appreciate the input - the Pulsar lists the ability to go to 59" so I used that number in my calcs. Still curious if anyone has an opportunity to try it.

Again my only concerns for safety of the truck/user is if the wheel size affecting speedo would affect anything else like shift points, though off road I tap shift to hold gears anyway

grinch72

Reaction score

Wouldnt that be awesome though when it comes to mileage! 28% less over the life of the truck!

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good idea. It sure would make your gas mileage look poor.

Oh yeah the dash would be all off if you ran the wrong size tire setting - i'd be curious if wheelspeed is measured by the circumference setting and in turn all the other settings that are triggered by speed...

... so ... no Tazer or Pulsar owners out there to trial this by chance?

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tazer is working on air suspension and e-lockers so there will be an update in the near future.

Thats great news there's quite a few features I like from the Tazer but the intercompatibility issues with Pulsar is holding me back - I don't have a Pulsar yet, but for all the features I want, I'd need both

myram2019

Reaction score
Thats great news there's quite a few features I like from the Tazer but the intercompatibility issues with Pulsar is holding me back - I don't have a Pulsar yet, but for all the features I want, I'd need both
He is also gonna try to get a work around to fix the issue with pulsar as soon as he gets his hands on one.

Users who are viewing this thread