5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pulsar still a thing?

lapoolboy

Reaction score
Anybody still running a Pulsar? Have they worked out the early bugs; i.e. CEL, non-starts, etc.? I've watched a few videos and the physical appearance looks to have changed since the early ones (they had a smooth face). Maybe that means they changed the software too? $629 now so want to make sure it's worthwhile. Thanks.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anybody still running a Pulsar? Have they worked out the early bugs; i.e. CEL, non-starts, etc.? I've watched a few videos and the physical appearance looks to have changed since the early ones (they had a smooth face). Maybe that means they changed the software too? $629 now so want to make sure it's worthwhile. Thanks.
Been running it for a couple years and 30k+ miles with no problems. Like everything electronic, there is a percentage of problems, but not on mine.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have had mine for over two years. Had it throw a check engine light for crank/cam mismatch a few times. Then discovered I forgot to connect the ground wire to the case. No issues since then. Well, the TazerDT and Pulsar don't play well together at times. Just have to remember to make changes to Pulsar before the TazerDT does anything. If zim using my light show at a car show and don't turn it off before starting the truck, the Pulsar modes can't be changed, and it will default to stock if you do try. And can't do anything if the brake hold feature is on either. If you try, the steering wheel controls won't do anything to change Pulsar modes ubtil you restart BCM

lapoolboy

Reaction score
@HSKR R/T

I know you have other engine mods made to your truck, but did you install the Pulsar before that and have a baseline on it by itself? I'm just wondering if the thing is worth the money on an otherwise stock engine. The only thing I'm interested in is "Performance - MDS off". I'm on 35" tires now and I'm looking to get the peppiness back.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@HSKR R/T

I know you have other engine mods made to your truck, but did you install the Pulsar before that and have a baseline on it by itself? I'm just wondering if the thing is worth the money on an otherwise stock engine. The only thing I'm interested in is "Performance - MDS off". I'm on 35" tires now and I'm looking to get the peppiness back.
Only other mods I have are Borla exhaust, and Vararam intake. Neither of which really do a whole lot. The Pulsar was added after both of those.

To me, I feel the full retail price for the Pulsar is too high for what it does. I would not have one if I had to pay full price. I got mine used, off here, for less than half price of new and the seller had just sent it back to Edge and had it checked out and updated. I would say $400 would be the absolute max I would be willing to pay for it.

lapoolboy

Reaction score
Only other mods I have are Borla exhaust, and Vararam intake. Neither of which really do a whole lot. The Pulsar was added after both of those.

To me, I feel the full retail price for the Pulsar is too high for what it does. I would not have one if I had to pay full price. I got mine used, off here, for less than half price of new and the seller had just sent it back to Edge and had it checked out and updated. I would say $400 would be the absolute max I would be willing to pay for it.
Seat of the pants difference in feel with vs. without?

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
@HSKR R/T

From what I understand, it doesn't disable MDS. It just detects when MDS activates and then sends a very quick event to open your throttle body (which then triggers MDS to turn back off) and so on. MDS just cycles on/off all the time still but when it turns on pulsar will try to trick it to turn off again. You're much better off using gear limiters or tow haul mode instead, which is a true MDS off.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
From what I understand, it doesn't disable MDS. It just detects when MDS activates and then sends a very quick event to open your throttle body (which then triggers MDS to turn back off) and so on. MDS just cycles on/off all the time still but when it turns on pulsar will try to trick it to turn off again. You're much better off using gear limiters or tow haul mode instead, which is a true MDS off.
That's not accurate according to Edge. Supposedly the early one did that, but they have updated them to truly disable MDS

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Seat of the pants difference in feel with vs. without?
Definite SOTP improvement. And 1/2 second quicker in the 1/4 mile going from stock to performance.

With factory tires, I actually picked up 1-2mpg around town using economy mode. The judge is still out with the 35s. I haven't tried a full tank in performance mode yet. The throttle is almost too sensitive for around town stop light to stop light. You get used to it and adjust, just don't let anyone else drive it in performance mode.

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I debated getting the new model but I just can’t see myself paying that much for it truthfully. It’s a cool feature for sure and easy to use maybe one day I’ll find one someone’s trying to get rid of for a little cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread