5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pulsar Review

Agitated

Reaction score
I am not much of a writer and I am a tough nut to crack. I do not believe in gimmicks, air filters, and minor bolt on things because I know better. Other than big hardware, reflashing, and power adders I won't talk too much about power increases. So that I'm taking the time to write a bit about Pulsar should be a clue. I'll do it in bullet form.

-I bought this on a group buy. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have spent the money. It was still hard to part with $400 for it.
-Install is very quick and easy. You will need a 1/4" drive ratchet, 8 and 10mm sockets. A 10mm ratchet wrench is helpful for reinstall.
-I did not expect too much from something like this that does not actually reflash the PCM.
-It is pretty easy to use and make changes, and the instructions are good.
-After backing out of the driveway, the increased throttle sensitivity was very apparent. Almost too touchy maybe. Will take getting used to.
-It is more than just a glorified Pedal Commander...somehow or another this thing really is able to pull significantly harder all the way through the whole powerband. It must surely increase timing and it does specify 91 octane for the performance file. All I can say is for a naturally aspirated engine, it is amazeballs!
-I am disappointed in the MDS off setting. It does not really turn it off like I expected. I learned too late that all the Pulsar does is goose the engine ever so slightly after MDS kicks in to kick it back out. It can be felt and heard. That was a big disappointment to me, so I'm back to just using the steering wheel button to lock out MDS every time I start the engine or shift out of Drive.
-It is easy to correct for different size tires and gearing.
-I am pleased and I recommend, just don't expect anything from the MDS feature.
-The economy file makes it sluggish as you would expect. It's painful for me and I don't give a sh!t about economy or mpg so I'll never use it again. When my tank gets empty I fill it up. Rinse and repeat. Get on with important things in life instead of obsessing over mpg.
-I haven't tried the towing file yet.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad to hear another positive review. Curious if it happened to make a difference on the highway with the 35s and constant shifting back and forth between 7 and 8?

Sooliman

Reaction score
I am not much of a writer and I am a tough nut to crack. I do not believe in gimmicks, air filters, and minor bolt on things because I know better. Other than big hardware, reflashing, and power adders I won't talk too much about power increases. So that I'm taking the time to write a bit about Pulsar should be a clue. I'll do it in bullet form.

-I bought this on a group buy. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have spent the money. It was still hard to part with $400 for it.
-Install is very quick and easy. You will need a 1/4" drive ratchet, 8 and 10mm sockets. A 10mm ratchet wrench is helpful for reinstall.
-I did not expect too much from something like this that does not actually reflash the PCM.
-After backing out of the driveway, the increased throttle sensitivity was very apparent. Almost too touchy maybe. Will take getting used to.
-It is more than just a glorified Pedal Commander...somehow or another this thing really is able to pull significantly harder all the way through the whole powerband. It must surely increase timing and it does specify 91 octane for the performance file. All I can say is for a naturally aspirated engine, it is amazeballs!
-I am disappointed in the MDS off setting. It does not really turn it off like I expected. I learned too late that all the Pulsar does is goose the engine ever so slightly after MDS kicks in to kick it back out. It can be felt and heard. That was a big disappointment to me, so I'm back to just using the steering wheel button to lock out MDS every time I start the engine or shift out of Drive.
-The economy file makes it sluggish as you would expect. It's painful for me and I don't give a sh!t about economy or mpg so I'll never use it again. When my tank gets empty I fill it up. Rinse and repeat. Get on with important things in life instead of obsessing over mpg.
Ditto.....on all points. Anyone doubting that this does what is advertised should start paying attention to these threads. It’s good.

Agitated

Reaction score
Glad to hear another positive review. Curious if it happened to make a difference on the highway with the 35s and constant shifting back and forth between 7 and 8?

I need more seat time to give a good answer on that.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I need more seat time to give a good answer on that.
Fair enough. I'll be buying a Pulsar shortly either way. Tired of my speedometer being off and I have a heavy foot already. At least need it to be accurate. I'm in the same boat with you with 3.21 gears so I am hesitant to go above a 34" tire.

HannibalofCarthage

Reaction score
Thanks for the review, I've ordered one but thanks to diablosport and their horrible inventory control on the website I'm in a holding pattern.....smh

Agitated

Reaction score
Fair enough. I'll be buying a Pulsar shortly either way. Tired of my speedometer being off and I have a heavy foot already. At least need it to be accurate. I'm in the same boat with you with 3.21 gears so I am hesitant to go above a 34" tire.

To answer your question, it did absolutely nothing to affect the 7-8 hunting. It may actually be worse because the throttle is touchy. I just lock out 8th gear now and get on with it.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To answer your question, it did absolutely nothing to affect the 7-8 hunting. It may actually be worse because the throttle is touchy. I just lock out 8th gear now and get on with it.
That's what I figured, but thought I would ask. Saw you posted looking for somebody to swap gears. Good luck and hope you are able to find somebody. I am curious if these trucks are like the 4th gens where you had to swap the whole front differential. If not and you can change out the gears, I will go that route later on but we won't know until somebody breaks one down. If not then I guess I will just stock with 34s.

Agitated

Reaction score
The whole differential has to be swapped out. Which may actually be easier than setting up gears anyway.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The whole differential has to be swapped out. Which may actually be easier than setting up gears anyway.
That's what I was afraid of. I wasn't aware of anybody opening them up to see. Guess I'll just keep my eye out. Salvage parts are already starting to become available.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thanks for the review! Been kicking this idea around for awhile, just dragging my feet on it. Always appreciate your ‘common sense straight to the point’ comments on forum threads. Keep it up and best of luck!;)

RamConvert82

Reaction score
Does the vehicle computer keep a record of these things? I'm curious if there will be proof of using it if I pull it out to take in for service. I don't want to void my warranty. The website says only "virtually no trace".

I am very curious to try such a simple system.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

19Jake

Reaction score
  • DRASTICALLY enhances driving experience :poop:;)
  • Leaves virtually no trace for warranty :poop::poop::unsure:
  • IMPROVES fuel economy :poop::poop::poop::alien:
  • Revs engine when MDS kicks in...to kick it back out :poop::poop::poop::poop::rolleyes: Flying_pig.gif

Last edited:

Agitated

Reaction score
I'm guessing he means these claims are poop. I agree that 3 out of the 4 claims are poop, hahaha!

HannibalofCarthage

Reaction score
So mine came in early and I installed it.................wow. But that is based off of a little 2 mile cruise. Performance mode could be trouble ;)

Users who are viewing this thread