5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pulsar Review Mid-2020

Craig9080

Reaction score
After driving my truck for over a year I finally decided to get a tuner. After looking at everything out there, and considering my warranty, I decided to get a Pulsar that I picked up on eBay "refurbished" for $275. When the unit arrived it was in factory shrink wrap and had no markings indicating that it was a refurb, maybe I lucked out and got a new one.

After driving in all modes I have come to the conclusion that even at $275 it is not worth it to most people. It is ultimately a throttle modulator, just like a pedal commander or any of the multitude of other devices that do the same thing. These devices essentially give a signal to the ECU that your pedal is closer to the floor than it is – this gives the illusion of performance without creating any. It is simply metering out the stock capacity of your engine in a different pattern, not increasing it. This is preferable to some but my goal in buying a tuner was to increase the capacity of my truck and the Pulsar does not do that despite their marketing claims. That being said, here are my observations of the various modes:

All tests were ran on 93 octane. My truck has the e-torque engine, 18” stock wheels and tires, and the 3.21 rear.

Performance mode makes the truck poorly behaved. All it does is cram 75% of the throttle range into the first 10% of travel. It is remarkably touchy and makes the truck much less refined for day-to-day driving. There is no discernable difference in power or speed when doing stock vs performance WOT pulls. This goes back to what this device is, a throttle modulator. In performance it just takes your throttle input, increases it, and sends it to the ECU. The manufacturer claims that there is “up to” 30HP and 30TQ gains peak to peak – I saw no evidence of this. There may be increased area under the curve due to faster throttle application but with WOT runs I can’t tell the difference.

Tow mode splits the difference between performance and stock. If you like what Pedal Commanders do and you like a reasonable increase in throttle response, this is a good mode to be in. The manufacturer claims 10HP and 10TQ gain, as with performance mode I see no evidence of this.

Economy mode actually makes the most sense for this device. Fuel economy is largely a function of how much or how little throttle you give. Eco mode does the reverse of performance mode and takes the first 10-20% of the throttle and stretches it out over 75% of pedal travel. With city driving this was able to give me an added 1MPG. It allowed me to have more granular control over the throttle and seems to keep me in MDS more often. As with other modes the manufacturer claims 5HP and 5TQ gain in this mode. This is such a small number it is unlikely that I would notice it even if it was there.

As some of you may point out, there is a youtube video of someone running a pulsar equipped 1500 on the dyno from last year. Unfortunately the methodology in that video is tragically flawed. On top of not being able to keep the truck in the same gear, fighting with the speed limiter, and admitting the truck became heat soaked, the peak numbers compared where almost 1,000 RPMs apart. That means nothing, NA engines make more power higher in the powerband – that is like saying hot water is hotter than cold water. The results are, unfortunately, meaningless.

As more tuners come out for our trucks, to include the PCM swaps, I might look into those. For now, the Pulsar is going back.

KevBo

Reaction score
Thanks for this review - I just wrote a post asking about the Pulsar. I see HP Tuners has a set up for the 5.7 with etorque - it's just way more expensive and requires a new PCM or to send in your current one. I'm watching this thread to see how others react.

Tiggerspr96

Reaction score
I had the Pulsar from Diablo and I have to agree that it just wasn't all it was cracked up to be (see my posts on the Pulsar). The concept was great and if it would have truly worked consistently and flawlessly, it could have been a game changer.

However, I now have the I3 tuner / PCM swap with with Diablo Tune (both the engine and trans tune) using 93 octane. This was definitely the way to go. You do get the functionality of the Pedal commander, speed limiter removal (set mine to 130 and I have been up to 115 mph), trans tune (make shift points more aggressive/smooth), removal of MDS, change cooling fan options, tire size, spark timing and more. I also have installed the AFE Magnum Power Stage 2 CAI and AFE Silver bullet throttle body spacer. I have the non-etorque with 3.92 rear.

Using a GPS 0-60 app on my phone, I have done 0-60 pulls getting consistent numbers between 6.3-6.0....the best was 5.97 (but I think that was an anomaly). Stock, I was getting 0-60 pulls in the 7.7-7.3 range.

So for me, in my opinion, the I3 was worth it because it has worked flawlessly for me, I have my original PCM to swap back in for any warranty work, and having consistent increased performance and full functionality of the my truck.

Attachments

• Resized_20200713_091914.jpeg
    Resized_20200713_091914.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 159
  • Resized_20200713_091930.jpeg
    Resized_20200713_091930.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 152
  • Resized_20190627_163520.jpeg
    Resized_20190627_163520.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 151

suln

Reaction score
I had the Pulsar from Diablo and I have to agree that it just wasn't all it was cracked up to be (see my posts on the Pulsar). The concept was great and if it would have truly worked consistently and flawlessly, it could have been a game changer.

However, I now have the I3 tuner / PCM swap with with Diablo Tune (both the engine and trans tune) using 93 octane. This was definitely the way to go. You do get the functionality of the Pedal commander, speed limiter removal (set mine to 130 and I have been up to 115 mph), trans tune (make shift points more aggressive/smooth), removal of MDS, change cooling fan options, tire size, spark timing and more. I also have installed the AFE Magnum Power Stage 2 CAI and AFE Silver bullet throttle body spacer. I have the non-etorque with 3.92 rear.

Using a GPS 0-60 app on my phone, I have done 0-60 pulls getting consistent numbers between 6.3-6.0....the best was 5.97 (but I think that was an anomaly). Stock, I was getting 0-60 pulls in the 7.7-7.3 range.

So for me, in my opinion, the I3 was worth it because it has worked flawlessly for me, I have my original PCM to swap back in for any warranty work, and having consistent increased performance and full functionality of the my truck.
I know this thread is old but, how much was this in total? The new pcm and the i3 and tune?

Users who are viewing this thread