5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Puddle Light doesn't work after mirror swap - options?

jlake1

Reaction score
I recently replaced my tow mirrors with power fold regular mirrors using OEM parts + OBDII Genie. Everything works after the swap EXCEPT for driver's side puddle light doesn't come on. Passenger does. BSM works, folding works, etc. Haven't tried defrost since it's 80 degrees in MI right now.

Here's the catch: The DS mirror I had to buy used because factory ones were out of stock everywhere. Is it possible to just swap out the led light? If that's not it, what else should I look for?

TIA for any help!

Jay

Ldc2335

Reaction score
I recently replaced my tow mirrors with power fold regular mirrors using OEM parts + OBDII Genie. Everything works after the swap EXCEPT for driver's side puddle light doesn't come on. Passenger does. BSM works, folding works, etc. Haven't tried defrost since it's 80 degrees in MI right now.

Here's the catch: The DS mirror I had to buy used because factory ones were out of stock everywhere. Is it possible to just swap out the led light? If that's not it, what else should I look for?

TIA for any help!

Jay
Unfortunately, it's a pain to troubleshoot it all, but I'd find a pin out of the mirror plugs and put a voltmeter to the door module to see if you're getting power there for the puddle light. If not, maybe they are not turned on in the BCM.

While the panel is off, check for loose pins, pinched wires, etc.

Looks like you can replace the puddle lamps, but a led on a mirror that's only a couple years old, it may not be the actual lamp. I'd dig around first. Did your previous mirrors have them?

084ec1b5e6e912990ee831062f3ce7c2.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
If it’s only the LED itself, there’s tons of direct replacement LEDs on Amazon! I have xprite brand ones and they are way brighter than stock. I can’t say if they’re better or worse than other options, but for $30 for the pair I’m happy.

Maldiny19

Reaction score

TIA for any help!

Jay
Hi Jay - I am looking to swap my Tow mirrors out for standard size power fold as well. How were you able to decifer which standard size mirrors you needed? I have talked to the parts guy at my dealership a couple times and they have no clue what I should get. Also did you have to swap the module and door switches as well (I would assume so)? Thanks for the help - Rick

rkjunior

Reaction score
With my truck not fitting in the garage without folding the mirrors, I'm on the verge of ordering a set for my 2019 Rebel to replace the tow mirrors. Is the infotainment package still the way to go?

Ldc2335

Reaction score
Hi Jay - I am looking to swap my Tow mirrors out for standard size power fold as well. How were you able to decifer which standard size mirrors you needed? I have talked to the parts guy at my dealership a couple times and they have no clue what I should get. Also did you have to swap the module and door switches as well (I would assume so)? Thanks for the help - Rick
Get one that has the same features as your tow mirrors and it's an easy swap.

You may be able to activate heat, puddle, reverse tilt, and turn signals in alfaobd if you don't already have those features.

Power fold, you'll need new door modules and the window switch.

jlake1

Reaction score
I ended up getting the mirror part numbers from another thread on this site. I was lucky and have the same color truck as that OP did. Since then, all the mirror numbers have changed, but the replacement part number crossovers came up on the major online parts sellers. Yes, I did have to change out the drivers switch panel as well as both door modules. Plus get a OBDII Genie.

jlake1

Reaction score
With my truck not fitting in the garage without folding the mirrors, I'm on the verge of ordering a set for my 2019 Rebel to replace the tow mirrors. Is the infotainment package still the way to go?
The infotainment package is the easy way to go if you want the mirrors they sell. If you want something different (like color matched), then you gotta order all the stuff independently. Even if you want the mirrors infotainment offers, ordering all the parts yourself saves a couple hundred bucks.

jlake1

Reaction score
Unfortunately, it's a pain to troubleshoot it all, but I'd find a pin out of the mirror plugs and put a voltmeter to the door module to see if you're getting power there for the puddle light. If not, maybe they are not turned on in the BCM.

While the panel is off, check for loose pins, pinched wires, etc.

Looks like you can replace the puddle lamps, but a led on a mirror that's only a couple years old, it may not be the actual lamp. I'd dig around first. Did your previous mirrors have them?

084ec1b5e6e912990ee831062f3ce7c2.jpg

Thanks for the help. Previous mirrors did have puddle lights, and the passenger side one works correctly, which is why I was leaning towards LED light. I’ll take your advice and see if I am getting voltage at the light. Also, I didn’t put this in my original post, but that used driver’s mirror I bought also took like 5 cycles of the folding action to catch and stay properly. Could’ve just been how the seller packaged it up, but it was flopping all around and overcycling the first time I tried to use the power fold function. Hasn’t done it since, but it’s curious that it’s the same side the puddle light doesn’t work on. Now that it’s getting colder in the north, the defrost seems to take longer on the drivers side as well. Or maybe I’m just imagining things…..

jlake1

Reaction score
One more thing, anyone have a procedure for changing that puddle light? I’m not quite sure how to get into the 5th gen mirrors. Saw a couple YouTube videos, but they were all for 4th gen.

Ldc2335

Reaction score
Edited: the tow mirror puddles look like the pop out, but not the standard mirrors.

Guessing you can remove the mirror cap and look down in there. I believe if you tilt the mirror glass all the way down, you can slip a flathead in there and release the mirror cap via two clips.

Do not bend or put pressure on the top of the glass for leverage...it will shatter

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread