5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PTCM (Power Train Computer Module) Replacement in a 2021 Ram Laramie

dnaesquivel

Reaction score
Hi. I have a 2021 Ram Laramie 2500 with a Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel. I purchased it in June. A few weeks ago I took it to the dealership because the check engine light came on. The dealership said the Active Grill Shutter was defected and needed to be replaced. So after waiting a few weeks the part came in and they replaced it. I picked it up and drove it home. The check engine light was off. The next morning I went to start the truck with the key fob, but it didn't work. I went out and started it and low and behold the check engine light was on again. So back to the dealership I went. After looking it over and a call the Chrysler the dealership informed me that the PTCM needed to be replaced, but it is back ordered 3-4 weeks.
Has anyone else had these issues?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi. I have a 2021 Ram Laramie 2500 with a Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel. I purchased it in June. A few weeks ago I took it to the dealership because the check engine light came on. The dealership said the Active Grill Shutter was defected and needed to be replaced. So after waiting a few weeks the part came in and they replaced it. I picked it up and drove it home. The check engine light was off. The next morning I went to start the truck with the key fob, but it didn't work. I went out and started it and low and behold the check engine light was on again. So back to the dealership I went. After looking it over and a call the Chrysler the dealership informed me that the PTCM needed to be replaced, but it is back ordered 3-4 weeks.
Has anyone else had these issues?
Never trust the dealership with a CEL. Before going to the dealer, stop by an auto parts store, have them read the CEL code and research it. Or, spend $100 for an MX+ or other code reader and don’t leave it to the dealer to tell you a lie. Knowledge is power especially with egg sucking, low life, lying dealership service departments.

I had one tell me they needed to replace a powertrain control module and possible a transmission control module that were both on six weeks back order. I asked for the code and he gave me the exact one I had already received before taking it to then. I used my MX+ code reader - and it was thrown due to one faulty O2 sensor.

I called his lying bluff and suddenly he stated his mechanic was still troubleshooting it. He called three hours later to tell me my truck was repaired and ready to be picked up. He said my keys would be at the cashiers cage. And yes, the warranty invoice clearly stated it was as simple as swapping out an O2 sensor.

And yes, you’ll find more info on HDRAMS.COM but you should also consider getting a code reader as it will save you money in the long run.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread