5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PSA: Mopar lift with ORP springs rubbing/clunk

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Started getting a clunking sound over certain bumps in the road. This was after a pretty good off road session sliding down a rock shelf on my rock sliders. May or may not have been related though. Was worried it was the ball joints going out already from the lift. Inspected and tested the ball joints and they seemed fine. Took the wheel off and started looking around for what was causing the sound.

On my driver side, the outside of the spring coil was rubbing/hitting the inside of the UCA when the UCA would move up and down over bumps. I could actually see the wear marks on the spring. The passenger side springs had some wear marks too, but appeared to be less and I couldn't hear anything coming from them. Maybe it wore down enough that it wasn't touching anymore. I used a scissor jack to lower and raise the suspension, while the truck was in the air, to check the clearance during the full range of motion.

I took a dremel to the spring to take off the rubber spring coating. Spray painted the area black to protect the now bare metal. Problem solved.

I imagine if you're running the Mopar v2 lift with ORP springs you'll notice that the spring has very little tolerance against the UCA during it's travel.

Perhaps with certain alignment specs and other factors you will not see an issue. I also have some extra weight over the nose of the truck.

Bigski74

Reaction score
I started getting a clunking sound from the front after a mountainous 4wd session that did $7700 in body damage (fixed now), took it in to the dealer and my front sway bar worked itself loose so they torqued it back to spec for me. Now I'm getting a clunking in the rear after installing a 6in Rough Country lift, I'm thinking it's the rear track bar, but its been too cold in CO to crawl back under and re-torque. I'll follow up after I figure it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online