5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Protection Group unavailable?

Dog Hauler

Reaction score
I'm ordering my 1500 Limited and the dealer tells me that the Protection Group isn't listed on his computer order form so he can't order it. He sent me screen shots of the options included on his order form and, sure enough, the Protection Group isn't there. But ramtrucks.com says it's an available option and a search of this forum shows that many owners have it on their trucks.

Can anyone shed light on this? Why wouldn't the PG show up on the dealer's computer ordering system if FCA offers it. I have to figure that the dealer's ordering system is what FCA gives all its dealers so I assume it's not a case of the dealer's system being out of date or something.

mmhoium

Reaction score
Its on restriction. I wanted PG on my order too. Dealer told me minimum of end of Nov. Who knows if he's right. The Build site isnt 100% reliable. Still shows Patriot Blue that I wanted too and couldnt order.

Dog Hauler

Reaction score
When something is on restriction, what happens to the order form the dealer uses? Does the option just disappear from the order form or is it just not checkable so it can't be included in the order?

One dealer told me that it's just greyed out on the order page. He can see it, but he can't check the box. My current dealer that I'm trying to order through tells me that the PG isn't show up at all on his order form.

Hahny

Reaction score
Make sure your salesman has sold order clicked when he’s building your truck, this happens quite often where the option will show up then

Dog Hauler

Reaction score
I'll talk to him about that. Meanwhile, when an option is on restriction do you know if it is absent from the order form or just greyed out?

Hahny

Reaction score
I have seen them go both ways on that! Let me know what’s your trying to order and I can mess around with it tomorrow at work!

79 300

Reaction score
I posted a thread about this problem with the Protection Group earlier this week. I was at the dealer on Saturday 11-3 trying to order a new Bighorn. The protection group didn't even show up on the dealer's ordering program. It was totally gone, not just greyed out. I saw other trucks on the lot with it too. The salesman said they might be forcing you to get the entire "off road group" to get skid plates and tow hooks. They make changes like that if they want to. He said they would look into it Monday.

As of Thursday 11-8, they got the regional manager involved, and he was going to contact the Ram business center and try to get it added to the order. I should hear back today.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it was me, I wouldn't let this hold up your order. Granted, easier & slightly cheaper to get from factory, but it's a bolt-on option as well that you can spend an enjoyable Saturday installing later.

Hahny

Reaction score
If ordering a bighorn look into the north edition, it’s all in there. If ordering a Laramie look at the chrome appearance package, they are in there also

Dog Hauler

Reaction score
If it was me, I wouldn't let this hold up your order. Granted, easier & slightly cheaper to get from factory, but it's a bolt-on option as well that you can spend an enjoyable Saturday installing later.

That's actually my plan. I want the truck either way so I'll order it. If I find out soon that the PG is available, I figure there is some period of time after submitting an order that it can be changed so I'll hope for the best on that and install the skid plates after delivery if needed.

Dog Hauler

Reaction score
Truck is now ordered and I found out what seems to be a reliable answer on the Protection Group. According to my dealer rep, he talked with someone an FCA production guy who told him that in an effort to "streamline" ordering and production the PG was eliminated as an option from the Limited. That is consistent with the PG not showing up on dealer order programs for the Limited.

My dealer contact is looking into the cost and feasibility of installing the skid plates when the truck comes in.

It would be nice if FCA would update it's own website to remove the PG from the Build and Price feature.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Truck is now ordered and I found out what seems to be a reliable answer on the Protection Group. According to my dealer rep, he talked with someone an FCA production guy who told him that in an effort to "streamline" ordering and production the PG was eliminated as an option from the Limited. That is consistent with the PG not showing up on dealer order programs for the Limited.

My dealer contact is looking into the cost and feasibility of installing the skid plates when the truck comes in.

It would be nice if FCA would update it's own website to remove the PG from the Build and Price feature.

Let us know what actual skid plates get installed. I've got another thread going where the build sheet shows Ram installed 4 but no one here can find 4 plates installed, only 3.

Ram204

Reaction score
I had this problem when I ordered my Laramie 4x4 on 9/21/18. Protection Group was unavailable. Truck was delivered on 10/29/18. I ordered the tow hooks and bezels, may order the skid plates later. At the time, the dealer didn't know why the group was restricted.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seems common with this new ‘19 while Ram is still building the older design that options available to order on the new ‘19 at the dealer come and go as parts are or aren’t available at the time of order. The Ram build website will not change or update as the dealers will. Went through this with both of my orders and the salesman checked on others as well that were doing the same. My original order had the ORG but was restricted on the second so I went with the protection group instead. My first was also regular Hemi and I had to get the E-torque on my second order(glad I did) as the regular was restricted then. It seems with the new model release Ram would allow you to order what they had available and what they wanted to release at the time. Seems they wanted to get some ‘19’s out in the world early in the year after their introduction and all they had at the time was the regular Hemi so that it was. Then after the E-torque was released mid year they wanted to get some of those out so that’s all you could order. So on and so forth with the other options as well. I know a lot of you guys waited a loooong time on the Ram-Box also.

wthomps79

Reaction score
When I picked up my truck the salesman mentioned that the protection group was eliminated across all trim levels and rolled into the offroad package. This happened pretty recently as it was available when I ordered my truck, but a couple weeks ago he was trying to build a bighorn for a customer and couldn't add it. Supposedly thats what his FCA rep told him.

Users who are viewing this thread