5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Protecting our trucks from theft

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How many steps do you all take with regards to anti theft devices for your trucks? Given that a work acquaintance just had his 5th gen Ram stolen from an employee parking lot I’ve started to give it some thought. I recently bought the steering wheel Club as a beginning deterrent, cheap and simple. I know it doesn’t make it theft-proof but at least it’s somewhat of a visual deterrent. Anyone here have a kill switch installed or GPS tracker, or along those lines? What do you all think is the best deterrent?

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I click the lock button on the fob once I exit the truck

So I guess one step lol

Chances of my truck getting stolen is slim to non so I rather not make myself paranoid about it, could it happen sure buts thats always a possibility with anything.

Edit: you could purchase and hide an inexpensive airtag somewhere inside if you feel the need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Casey B

Reaction score
I use a steering wheel Club, start button lockout and an Air Tag.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Kill switch or pull a critical fuse. That won't stop it from being dragged onto a flatbed though. That's when the GPS tracker comes into play, along with Smith and Wesson. Don't call 911, dial .357. Then hide the body, remember you're guilty until proven innocent in 2023

John Galt

Reaction score
If my truck gets stolen, honestly, I don’t want it back. In fact ai would go out of my way to make sure it’s not tracked by XM/FCA and they can’t find it.

I’ll never know what was done to it. What was broken, if they did anything stupid that will cause problems with reliability later….or even just weird smells that won’t go away.

I just want the insurance money and a new truck.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I'm not too worried about theft, but those videos of them using special equipment to clone your key and get into your RAM is a bit of a concern.

Most thefts around vehicles involve quick break of windows and dash away with whatever was left on the seats. I make sure I don't have anything valuable looking inside my vehicles, even a single dollar bill or small package can be enough for someone to consider breaking your window.

As mentioned, if they steal your vehicle, you don't really want it back, least of which is a "theft recovery" tag which is many cases is actually a Salvage Title, even if it was just a quick joy ride with little to no damage.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't use the feature, but the TazerDT offers a "pin" lock starter disable. Granted, all a thief would have to do is unplug the TazerDT, but most won't spend the time looking for it

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't use the feature, but the TazerDT offers a "pin" lock starter disable. Granted, all a thief would have to do is unplug the TazerDT, but most won't spend the time looking for it
The forthcoming update will still retain the security features after the Tazer is removed. I am not running the Beta software, so I can't vouch for how well it works (but I'm hearing that it does work).

Ravelco is the device I use. It disables the vehicle unless you physically plug in the plug. Simple and low-tech. But it works.

HemiDude

Reaction score
The forthcoming update will still retain the security features after the Tazer is removed. I am not running the Beta software, so I can't vouch for how well it works (but I'm hearing that it does work).

Ravelco is the device I use. It disables the vehicle unless you physically plug in the plug. Simple and low-tech. But it works.
If I had to use something extra, it would be that Ravelco. I understand it doesn’t work with remote start though, which I use all the time, so it would be too much of a pai for me.

On a sidenote, I like @Scram1500 ’s approach…. I have a son who doesn’t live too far from the desert in the southwest lol.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
problem is you cannot get the same truck again.

Great point, in terms of what you will get back from the insurance company, even current market values, you won't be able to buy a new truck at that price point, you will need to find a used one (that may not be exactly to your liking). Or use the money as towards a new one, but either way, you do lose a bit especially in this market.

I got my Rebel in 2019 for $39,000 (MSRP: $55,000). Even at that spec, the prices have gone up quite a bit, even if they pay me about what I paid in 2019, which is about market level, I won't be able to get another Rebel at that price new. Likely a used one with more miles and not as good condition as mine.

23RAM

Reaction score
I'm not too worried about theft, but those videos of them using special equipment to clone your key and get into your RAM is a bit of a concern.
That's how 99% of the RAM's are stolen up here...copy the fob signal and just drive your truck away.
However there's a cheap and easy fix that really works - a "faraday" box or pouch to put your fob in when parked. We use something like this with a box at home, and two pouches to bring when we travel:

I tested the box and pouches with both vehicle key fobs, and they work - it's as if the fob doesn't exist once it's inside.
Most thefts around vehicles involve quick break of windows and dash away with whatever was left on the seats. I make sure I don't have anything valuable looking inside my vehicles, even a single dollar bill or small package can be enough for someone to consider breaking your window.
This is also an issue - ever since a friend had his car broken into years ago, I never leave anything visible in our vehicles - not even an empty water bottle in the holder, and nothing on the rear seats. If you peek in the window it looks empty and they move on to the next vehicle.
We also have surveillance cameras at home, and at work which helps deter thieves.

Users who are viewing this thread