5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proper Offset

ricroc187

Reaction score
Hey everyone, looking to get some aftermarket wheels to add to my truck and install a readylift 3.5 suspension lift. I want to add some 35's on 20 inch Hostage wheels, but I'm stuck at determining the right offset. I do not want them to stick out too much from my fender, but i do want an aggressive 4x4 offroad stance. What is a good offset to achieve this look along with my lift and to avoid trimming or rubbing?

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
Hey everyone, looking to get some aftermarket wheels to add to my truck and install a readylift 3.5 suspension lift. I want to add some 35's on 20 inch Hostage wheels, but I'm stuck at determining the right offset. I do not want them to stick out too much from my fender, but i do want an aggressive 4x4 offroad stance. What is a good offset to achieve this look along with my lift and to avoid trimming or rubbing?

A nice gallery to look at is here:
https://www.customwheeloffset.com/wheel-offset-gallery
I personally like a +0 offset as opposed to the factory +19, but your tire width (12.5?) will also make a difference.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What rims and tires do you currently have now? With knowing that, I might be able to figure out an exact dimension difference.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wheel width will make a difference as well. A -18 on a 9 inch would stick out that same distance as a +0 on a 10 inch wide wheel. A 12.50 tire will actually measure out a 1/2" wider on a 10 inch wheel versus a 9 inch as well.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
if you go by the math -18 on 9 would be -5.3 on 10

Strictly by the math, yes the edge of a 10 would by just over 12.5 mm further from the hub face versus a 9, which make a 20x9ET-12 and a 20x10ET+0 about the same at the edge of the wheel. There is one more contributing factor to where the actual sidewall of the tire ends up though and that's the cross section measuring width. Since almost every manufacture rates there 12.50 wide based upon measurements of the tire mounted on a 10 inch wide wheel if you use a narrower wheel like a 9 the tire wont measure 12.50 when mounted up, it'll measure closer to 12 inches so to get the side wall in the same spot on the 9 inch you have offset the wheel off the hub an additional 1/4" or so which is roughly 6 mm. Thats why a 20x9ET-18 would put the side wall of the tire in roughly the same spot as a 20x10ET+0. This is most noticeable on BFG KO2's look at any 12.50 wide KO2 mounted on a 9 versus 10 and the tire looks way wider on the 10 inch wheel. Rim width makes a big difference on the mounted width of the tire and needs to be accounted for when choosing the offset if you're really particular about the stance.

Icecold77

Reaction score
Width kills vs. height... I suggest the calculators out on the net.. they give you more info than you need.. I went +12, and 11.5 wide tire.. no rub, and dosnt hang out so much I need to drop a grand on fender flares

Icecold77

Reaction score
I use this all the time.. gives visual and % +/- of what you have vs. what your thinking about doing

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20181026-222441_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20181026-222441_Chrome.jpg
    470.9 KB · Views: 192

Users who are viewing this thread