5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Program Mode" to add amplifier not working for Dsr1/DCH3 Harness

Reaction score
2020 1500 Stock 6 Speaker, No Amplifier, No Active Noise Control

The instructions for adding the dsr1 require you to put the Ram in "Program Mode" to add "Amplified Mode" since I have the base stereo without stock amplifier.

PROGRAM MODE - You can do this through a sequence of "Turn Car On - Turn Parking Brake On-Off-On within 5 seconds and you will hear a honk confirming you are in program mode"

AMPLIFIED MODE - "Then once in program mode enable left turn indicator withing 10 seconds to switch to "amplified mode.

I must have tried this cycle for "Program Mode" 50 times" across all the CAN ports and no luck getting into that mode.

I just got off the phone with Maestro support confirming everything is setup correctly elsewhere, but that without getting the truck into program mode to be able to add the amplifier it wouldn't work. He sat with me for 50 minutes as I tried every single CAN bus port (both free and using the T-split for occupied ports) for the DSR1 but I was not able to get the truck to enter "program mode" to add amplified mode.

Any insights on this? I'm at my wits end after 5 days trying to figure this out. Customer service said try different combos of timing with the sequence. But I sense there is something else I'm not doing.

Reaction score
As a followup I was able to get this figured out. I was plugging the DSR1 wire into the wrong junction box for the CAN. The correct junction box is green with white plugs, (there are a few others that are white with green plugs that are not the correct junction box)

The correct one is located behind the emergency brake button panel.

Once I was able to plug into the correct junction box, the above "sequence" for getting the car to program mode and then "amplified mode" worked properly.

Silver Black

Reaction score
Thanks for following up on your thread. I think a lot of people, such as myself, are either new owners or still trying to sort out the best way to upgrade the Base 6. I have Base 6 w/ANC and read the entire 72 page thread on upgrading the Base 6 last night. Sure, it took five hours, a dinner break, and a six pack of beer, but every post by the more knowledgeable folks like yourself is helpful.(y)

Reaction score
Ha ha yep I did the same, that thread went off track a bit and made my brain hurt trying to follow, lol.

If you go with the DSR1 and hit any snags ping me. I also have a good direct email contact at ADS/Idatalink that was helpful. Phone tech support was garbage.

Also their online instructions could be more robust. Outside of this I also ended up with a unit that was overheating. 90-100deg out here North of LA in the valley and it didn't help with trying to figure out what was going on. In process now of trying to swap DSR1 unit for one that doesn't overheat.

Last edited:

Willy66kp

Reaction score
You guys are lifesavers! I got a DSR1 from my brother, I'm getting the correct T Harness from Crutchfield (I have the same 2019 5th Gen w/8.4 screen, ANC, 6 speaker setup) Already installed an LC7i with 4 channel/ mono block/ speakers, etc = couldn't pass up a free DSP. Do you have any photos of the Can Bus? I know where it is and that you should use the green block and connect to it. Did you just use an open slot or remove an existing pin at a certain location on the Bus? That part is confusing me (Crutchfield has a photo that just confuses me even more, it looks like they removed some existing wires?) Any help/incite would be greatly appreciated.

AmpedRam

Reaction score
Hey fellas! New here and to my new 2019 Ram. I'm having the same problem. I was on the phone today with Crutchfield for 2 hours and no resolve. I did however i did get the nitch to go into program mode once. When I tried to set to amplified mode it never took. Now when ever the I try to plug the wire into the green block my start button flashes in and off and the truck doesn't want to start. I have to unplug it from the block and wait for the truck to go to sleep before trying again. Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Adding some details from others request...

• This is the correct CAN block below.
  • Ensure you do a generic flash and not vehicle specific
8EBE98D9-75F1-448B-84EC-AC653DBA75F2.jpeg

Willy66kp

Reaction score
Adding some details from others request...

• This is the correct CAN block below.
  • Ensure you do a generic flash and not vehicle specific
View attachment 70699
Thank you! I've been running the DSR1 in universal (gets fed from my LC7i). I have the T Harness , when I flash do I choose universal again? It appears we have the same truck/radio configuration so I can't thank you enough!!

Willy66kp

Reaction score
Hey fellas! New here and to my new 2019 Ram. I'm having the same problem. I was on the phone today with Crutchfield for 2 hours and no resolve. I did however i did get the nitch to go into program mode once. When I tried to set to amplified mode it never took. Now when ever the I try to plug the wire into the green block my start button flashes in and off and the truck doesn't want to start. I have to unplug it from the block and wait for the truck to go to sleep before trying again. Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks in advance!
Just following up to see you have any updates? I'm going to try and redo my DSR1 set up this weekend?

Reaction score
Ha ha yep I did the same, that thread went off track a bit and made my brain hurt trying to follow, lol.

If you go with the DSR1 and hit any snags ping me. I also have a good direct email contact at ADS/Idatalink that was helpful. Phone tech support was garbage.

Also their online instructions could be more robust. Outside of this I also ended up with a unit that was overheating. 90-100deg out here North of LA in the valley and it didn't help with trying to figure out what was going on. In process now of trying to swap DSR1 unit for one that doesn't overheat.
I went through THREE modules before I finally got the dang thing properly installed. Now keeping it connected and/or using the preset I was on before I turned off the truck is a different story. More often than not when I try and sync the preset I want to use, since I have quite a few on there (different passengers, different bass), all the speakers go out completely and the DSR1 won't be visible at all and the only fix is turning the truck off for a minimum of five minutes.

lweber504

Reaction score
As a followup I was able to get this figured out. I was plugging the DSR1 wire into the wrong junction box for the CAN. The correct junction box is green with white plugs, (there are a few others that are white with green plugs that are not the correct junction box)

The correct one is located behind the emergency brake button panel.

Once I was able to plug into the correct junction box, the above "sequence" for getting the car to program mode and then "amplified mode" worked properly.
Which port on the can junction did you plug into. I have tried most of them and still nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread