5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Procomp or BDS 6" lift?

Maxram

Reaction score
I've given up on doing a 2.5 lift or level, doesn't seem like it's going to be enough for what I want to do. Looking for some feedback on these two basic kits. Procomp is currently discounted to $1499 which is really enticing and BDS is running little over 2k with fox shocks. Thoughts?

RamSco

Reaction score
I've given up on doing a 2.5 lift or level, doesn't seem like it's going to be enough for what I want to do. Looking for some feedback on these two basic kits. Procomp is currently discounted to $1499 which is really enticing and BDS is running little over 2k with fox shocks. Thoughts?
Procomp is a good value and many folks have been very satisfied. I went with BDS because 1) they allow 18” wheels v 20” 2) they match up their own UCA’s (as an upgrade) 3) they replace the rear springs v spacer lift them 4) I will most likely upgrade to their coil overs (which are just now released). BDS is more expensive but I felt it was worth it.

Attachments

• E81FFBB2-A286-469A-A8DC-247164A17215.jpeg
    E81FFBB2-A286-469A-A8DC-247164A17215.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 124
  • 6932317E-A634-4053-B2C6-69AB5992DE51.jpeg
    6932317E-A634-4053-B2C6-69AB5992DE51.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 129

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Procomp is a good value and many folks have been very satisfied. I went with BDS because 1) they allow 18” wheels v 20” 2) they match up their own UCA’s (as an upgrade) 3) they replace the rear springs v spacer lift them 4) I will most likely upgrade to their coil overs (which are just now released). BDS is more expensive but I felt it was worth it.

I went procomp for the 1500 price alone. The kit, readylift arms, install, and alignment totaled up to be about 2600 bucks. It doesn’t ride bad, but it’s a bit bouncy and floaty to me. It just needs upgraded shocks IMO.

BDS coilover kit looks nice, but the price is a bit inflated, I think they’ve gotten a little too big for their britches...

Last edited:

Maxram

Reaction score

Thanks for the feedback, definitely helps! I was thinking of starting with the basic w/ Fox then upgrading the front later with (at least to Fox shocks) but skipping the UCA's. You think the UCA's make that much of a difference?

Maxram

Reaction score
I went procomp for the 1500 price alone. The kit, readylift arms, install, and alignment totaled up to be about 2600 bucks. It doesn’t ride bad, but it’s a bit bouncy and floaty to me. It just needs upgraded shocks IMO.

BDS coilover kit looks nice, but the price is a bit inflated, I think they’ve gotten a little too big for their britches...

What do you think you might upgrade to shock wise? I was thinking they might be a little

What

I was thinking they might be a little floaty like you're saying. Any idea what you would upgrade to shock wise?

RamSco

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, definitely helps! I was thinking of starting with the basic w/ Fox then upgrading the front later with (at least to Fox shocks) but skipping the UCA's. You think the UCA's make that much of a difference?
Mine has ORP so I definitely wanted to replace UCAs. I felt 6” on top of ORP was going to push the stock UCA’s too far. When I look at the angle of my ball joint, I definitely think it was the right decision. I would spend the money even if I didn’t have ORP. Plus, the aftermarket UCAs have grease zerks. My truck rides and handles awesome. But in full disclosure, my last truck was an 07 2500 diesel and a rough riding biotch :)

Last edited:

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don’t know about the shocks honestly, that’s why I still don’t have any lol. Front you could run the fox coilovers or fabtech dirt logic’s. But for the rear, reusing the stock springs, not really sure. Not anything out yet really.

RamSco

Reaction score

That bounce is coming from those big wide 22’s daddy-o. No sidewall, no flex, no absorption :)

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That bounce is coming from those big wide 22’s daddy-o. No sidewall, no flex, no absorption :)

I don’t think so, the “smaller” tires translate a lot more road feel into the wheel, they are “harder” on small bumps.

But I’m not talking about that, when you go over an expansion area on the highway for example, you get the wave like motion from the truck as the shocks kind of bounce around across it. It also noses dives a decent amount on hard braking.

I was thinking about putting my stock rear shocks back on, should help clean up the rear a bit since it’s still got the oem coil.

This is where you have a big advantage over me, New springs and fox shocks valved for them. I have stock coils which are fine but paired with basic white shocks that are, IMO, trash.

Last edited:

RamSco

Reaction score
I don’t think so, the “smaller” tires translate a lot more road feel into the wheel, they are “harder” on small bumps.

But I’m not talking about that, when you go over an expansion area on the highway for example, you get the wave like motion from the truck as the shocks kind of bounce around across it. It also noses dives a decent amount on hard braking.

I was thinking about putting my stock rear shocks back on, should help clean up the rear a bit since it’s still got the oem coil.

This is where you have a big advantage over me, New springs and fox shocks valved for them. I have stock coils which are fine but paired with basic white shocks that are, IMO, trash.
Yeah, I was just flippin you crap because we both have 35’s but I have 4” more sidewall. My wife has a Q7 and the summer tires on 22’s run way rougher than the winter tires on 20’s (same overall diameter). I’d double check that your stock shocks are long enough to be within tolerance at 6” of “stretch.” I’d be surprised if they are. They may work when compressing but are they long enough to allow ‘upward’ travel during articulation?

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I was just flippin you crap because we both have 35’s but I have 4” more sidewall. My wife has a Q7 and the summer tires on 22’s run way rougher than the winter tires on 20’s (same overall diameter). I’d double check that your stock shocks are long enough to be within tolerance at 6” of “stretch.” I’d be surprised if they are. They may work when compressing but are they long enough to allow ‘upward’ travel during articulation?

Yea, I need ~2” extensions to do it. That’s why I haven’t tossed them back on. I really want to just buy some better shocks and coilovers

Maxram

Reaction score
Good stuff fellas! Wasn't really considering the extra inch on the ORP with these lifts so I guess I should do UCA's regardless of which lift I use. Planning to run the stock 20's on 35's with spacers for winter and 22's on 35's no spacers in the summer. $$$ are adding up real fast! Ya'll know if life insurance covers murder? It's highly likely my wife kills me in my sleep when it's all said and done. ‍

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I realized I didn’t answer your question really.

If you are Planning to keep the truck for awhile, or you simply want the best, I think the BDS is a bit nicer. Not necessarily in product quality, but things like new coils and fox shocks. Their UCA also look nicer.

Otherwise, I think the procomp kit is nice. I have zero complaints about the kit. I mean you get crap shocks with any brand base kit.

Side note: fabtech kit is also nice, they have the coilover kit as well, and superlift has a kit too. Not sure if it’s actually for sale or not but the kit exists. That one will be on the Cheaper side for sure, but superlift does nice stuff. Last I talked to them it was going to be awhile before they had the king shocks ready to go with their kit. (If at all)

I went the cheap route because I like to buy something new every 2-3 years. Thus I have 1500 dollar lift and 1200 dollar amp tires lol.

RamSco

Reaction score

If you are Planning to keep the truck for awhile, or you simply want the best, I think the BDS is a bit nicer. Not necessarily in product quality, but things like new coils and fox shocks. Their UCA also look nicer.

Otherwise, I think the procomp kit is nice. I have zero complaints about the kit. I mean you get crap shocks with any brand base kit.

Side note: fabtech kit is also nice, they have the coilover kit as well, and superlift has a kit too. Not sure if it’s actually for sale or not but the kit exists. That one will be on the Cheaper side for sure, but superlift does nice stuff. Last I talked to them it was going to be awhile before they had the king shocks ready to go with their kit. (If at all)

I went the cheap route because I like to buy something new every 2-3 years. Thus I have 1500 dollar lift and 1200 dollar amp tires lol.
I’m with Silversurfer... in the end, you gotta do what’s right for your own strategy, budget, etc. The Fabtech Dirt Logic kit looks nice. If your truck is ORP, however, you’ll end up having to replace your rear springs to non-ORP part # or you’ll end up with an extra inch of rake in the back. The one ‘real world’ installation I’ve seen of this kit on an ORP still had rake even after the rear spring swap (see ‘1500 Overland’ on YouTube)

If you have ORP and decide on BDS, here is what their Tech guys advised me: “If you want a level stance do not use the preload spacer. Should be at about 3/8” of rake with out it. If you do use the spacer you will be about ½” high in the front.”

We did use the spacer and I’m a bit high in front.

The most important thing, of course, is that you post pictures when you’re done :). Good luck brotha.

Maxram

Reaction score

Really good points! I haven't decided how long I'll keep the truck, 3-5 years is most likely for me since I want to get the TRX after it comes out. And I'm sure more shocks will come out after SEMA which isn't that far away. Maybe wait a little bit longer for more options to come out idk. Getting antsy lol

Maxram

Reaction score
I’m with Silversurfer... in the end, you gotta do what’s right for your own strategy, budget, etc. The Fabtech Dirt Logic kit looks nice. If your truck is ORP, however, you’ll end up having to replace your rear springs to non-ORP part # or you’ll end up with an extra inch of rake in the back. The one ‘real world’ installation I’ve seen of this kit on an ORP still had rake even after the rear spring swap (see ‘1500 Overland’ on YouTube)

If you have ORP and decide on BDS, here is what their Tech guys advised me: “If you want a level stance do not use the preload spacer. Should be at about 3/8” of rake with out it. If you do use the spacer you will be about ½” high in the front.”

We did use the spacer and I’m a bit high in front.

The most important thing, of course, is that you post pictures when you’re done :). Good luck brotha.
[/QUOTE

I'm ok with a little rake as I do tow a boat. I figured 3/4 wouldn't even be that noticable anyways. I will absolutely post pictures when done, hopefully that's not too far off.

kittyjo

Reaction score
Why is the bds 6inch lift UCLA’s 700$ more option?Is it worth it? I will get the upgraded shocks just not sure of the ucas...

Maxram

Reaction score
Why is the bds 6inch lift UCLA’s 700$ more option?Is it worth it? I will get the upgraded shocks just not sure of the ucas...
Better ball joint angle and articulation. My understanding is that it's not critical unless you're doing a lot of off roading. If you want them you can also go with Ready Lift, Tuff Country or Rough Country UCA's which are a little cheaper.

RamSco

Reaction score
“Worth it” is a personal value judgement. For me, I’ll keep this truck 7-10 years so it is definitely worth this ball joint angle and having a grease zerk.

Attachments

• D34B728A-66D0-46D5-941B-DC188D9B9403.jpeg
    D34B728A-66D0-46D5-941B-DC188D9B9403.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 30

kittyjo

Reaction score
“Worth it” is a personal value judgement. For me, I’ll keep this truck 7-10 years so it is definitely worth this ball joint angle and having a grease zerk.
Ya I will have this truck for awhile to so I don’t wanna go with China built guess that will bring my quota up a little. Plus they say if it breaks they will replace it

Users who are viewing this thread