5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problems with tailgate not opening

Moosefire66

Reaction score
As the title says, I pull the handle, I can hear the solenoids clicking, or motor moving or whatever in there, but it's not opening. Sometimes I can push the tailgate, as if it's not fully closed, then it works but other times I can wait it out... not sure what's going on....

Anyone else had this problem?

Fyi yes I checked that it was unlocked

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
As the title says, I pull the handle, I can hear the solenoids clicking, or motor moving or whatever in there, but it's not opening. Sometimes I can push the tailgate, as if it's not fully closed, then it works but other times I can wait it out... not sure what's going on....

Anyone else had this problem?

Fyi yes I checked that it was unlocked

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
it would help if you told us what you have

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Happens time to time, mainly after the sun has been beating on the back of the truck.
Pushing in on the tailgate while hitting the release usually works.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had that issue on my 2019. Thanks to a few members posting on a different thread I adjusted the passenger side striker bolt where the tailgate latches. I only had to move mine about 1/16th inch rearward and it took about 5 minutes. Never had the issue again.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine did it if I didn't open the tailgate for a week or so, had to push it like I was closing it while trying the latch and it would open. Sprayed both latches with WD40 and haven't had the issue since.
BTW, I have already adjusted the tailgate striker years ago to improve the body panel alignment.

Users who are viewing this thread