5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problems after Header Install?

Cbzr1107

Reaction score
I was considering putting on some shorties with better bolts just to get a head of cracking a manifold or shearing off a bolt.

Is there anything else that needs to be done after to make it run right? Like a tune or any other performance mods.

I didn't think so but stumbled on a thread where a guy's performance went down towing his boat after he installed headers. It seems people had all sorts of ideas of things he needed to do.

Cbzr1107

Reaction score
I wouldn't have thought so either then ran across a thread from another forum where it sounded like I would. I'll try to find it again and post a link.

Last edited:

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
41IlvSN5TFL._AC_.jpg

Orion10182011

Reaction score
Shorties won't need a tune. Kooks has a set of "expensive" long tubes & Y pipe with ultra green cats that they clame won't need a tune.

Drewster

Reaction score
Shorties "generally" don't require a tune because they generally don't improve VE enough to matter.

These engines run off of a VE table, so yeah you should get a tune if you plan on modifying it.

Caballonegro

Reaction score
Anybody recommend Lock Header bolt brand or link for our engine. My AFE headers are sitting on my garage floor but have to do some research on the bolts it comes with.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anybody recommend Lock Header bolt brand or link for our engine. My AFE headers are sitting on my garage floor but have to do some research on the bolts it comes with.
Use factory or the supplied bolts. The lock versions create a false knock which will pull timing and cause a power loss.

Scarriere

Reaction score
I had the Stage 8 locking bolts on two previous trucks that had JBA Shorties. No issues, other than installing them, haha. The driver's side, bottom middle two bolts were a mofo.
I didn't put the Stage 8's on my current truck cause of how difficult it would've been. I have longtubes this time.

edit:
Passenger side

Caballonegro

Reaction score
No, I ordered locking bolts so I’m waiting for those and the clamps to hold the header wrap on, but yes I have them in my garage!

Drewster

Reaction score
No, I ordered locking bolts so I’m waiting for those and the clamps to hold the header wrap on, but yes I have them in my garage!
Guessing you already know, but use worm gear clamps (not metal zip ties) and wear gloves to save yourself a lot of trouble

Caballonegro

Reaction score
Mine are ready to go!
AFE Shorty’s

Attachments

• 5C3FB167-B01F-482A-92B7-44231698D806.jpeg
    5C3FB167-B01F-482A-92B7-44231698D806.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 102

Adrian052

Reaction score
Mine are ready to go!
AFE Shorty’s
Did you install yourself? If so, how long did it take? Thinking about doing this as well. But, I only have 5k miles so might wait a few thousand if they install is tough.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Shouldn't be any need for locking bolts. I've never had an issue on other vehicles just using regular bolts. After about three weeks of checking them as the gaskets heat cycled and compressed, they stayed tight.

Also not a fan of header wrap. It will hold in dirt and moisture and cause rust/corrosion. Better off to get them ceramic coated.

Users who are viewing this thread