5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problems after engine replacement/possible ac issue?

peasant

Reaction score
Hello,

1st time posting. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. After 2nd engine replacement within 12 months, all covered by warranty, work by the same out of state dealer, on a 2020 ecodiesel, when ac in use and on 4 or greater fan speed , can get humming or horn like sounds, surging feeling through the gas pedal, and the radiator fan jumps to high speed. Could an ac related tensioner be doing something? Unfortunately I am more of a driver than an operater. Do have an appointment with the dealership where I purchased it coming up. Just want to make sure I am not harming the engine in some way by using the a/c. Engine temps have been low, happens without any load on the truck.
Appreciate any insights.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello,

1st time posting. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. After 2nd engine replacement within 12 months, all covered by warranty, work by the same out of state dealer, on a 2020 ecodiesel, when ac in use and on 4 or greater fan speed , can get humming or horn like sounds, surging feeling through the gas pedal, and the radiator fan jumps to high speed. Could an ac related tensioner be doing something? Unfortunately I am more of a driver than an operater. Do have an appointment with the dealership where I purchased it coming up. Just want to make sure I am not harming the engine in some way by using the a/c. Engine temps have been low, happens without any load on the truck.
Appreciate any insights.
Second engine replacement in 12 months? I find that extremely hard to believe. What happened and how many miles?

Sent from my SM-S911W using Tapatalk

peasant

Reaction score
Not meant as bragging. Work invoices attached. First at 31k, intermittent low oil pressure light led to find of sludge. 2nd at 42k, engine siezed.

Attachments

• PXL_20240608_134526249.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL~2.jpg
    PXL_20240608_134526249.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL~2.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20240608_134218784.PORTRAIT~3.jpg
    PXL_20240608_134218784.PORTRAIT~3.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 24

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not meant as bragging. Work invoices attached. First at 31k, intermittent low oil pressure light led to find of sludge. 2nd at 42k, engine siezed.
Damn that's some seriously bad luck. Sounds like oil issues both times.

Sent from my SM-S911W using Tapatalk

Snekpete

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When the high pressure fuel pumps on the Eco Diesels blow, and they have been doing so a lot, the dying pump sends tiny little pieces of metal through the whole engine and it can seize. In any case it totals the engine.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When the high pressure fuel pumps on the Eco Diesels blow, and they have been doing so a lot, the dying pump sends tiny little pieces of metal through the whole engine and it can seize. In any case it totals the engine.
How does the fine little metal pieces get from the fuel system to throughout the whole engine?

Snekpete

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is from a friend of mine who owns an Eco Diesel and is active on other forums:

The hpfp is attached to the engine block and driven off a gearon the inside of the block. When the hpfp pistons cam followers turn sideways they scrub the cam and followers sending fragments through out the inside of the block.. There are upgraded pumps that trap any contamination before it destroys the engine.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is from a friend of mine who owns an Eco Diesel and is active on other forums:

The hpfp is attached to the engine block and driven off a gearon the inside of the block. When the hpfp pistons cam followers turn sideways they scrub the cam and followers sending fragments through out the inside of the block.. There are upgraded pumps that trap any contamination before it destroys the engine.
When the hpfp fails it sends metal through out the fuel system, causing the vehicle to stop running. This contaminated the complete fuel system, this is why everything needs to be replaced and cleaned after a failure.

Snekpete

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are sporadic reports of engine failure associated with HPFP failures. I believe that what is happening is that when the HPFP fails, the fuel system is instantly contaminated. Depending on the type of failure and how long the engine continues to run it is conceivable that the HPFP shaft seal is compromised and the lubrication system is then contaminated to one degree or another. Of course Stellantis doesn’t want that known to the public.

My apologies to the OP, I have no idea about the noises and fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/