5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proactively sealing the rear window

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thankfully neither of my '19s have the dreaded rear window leak. I've already replaced the gasket on the CHMSL just to be safe and plan on adding sealant to the rear window.

1673560194235.png

What is everyone using? I bought both...maybe use the 81730 flowable first, wait a few days then the 81173 black to seal the whole upper edge?

1673560019131.png 1673560052212.png

Thanks!

IndianaRam

Reaction score
Mine hasn't leaked yet either and I have 76,000 miles on my 19' truck. I wonder if I should do this also, just to be on the safe side.

jkm312

Reaction score
Flowable here.
Does the flowable stay somewhat soft like silicone does? The flowable makes logical sense, but will it release if the glass has to be replaced?
I have often thought of doing this, because the brake light leaked. But, it is garaged and seldom sits out in the rain needlessly.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thankfully neither of my '19s have the dreaded rear window leak. I've already replaced the gasket on the CHMSL just to be safe and plan on adding sealant to the rear window.

View attachment 148625

What is everyone using? I bought both...maybe use the 81730 flowable first, wait a few days then the 81173 black to seal the whole upper edge?

View attachment 148622 View attachment 148623

Thanks!
No please don't. It will look like crap, and if you ever do need to get the window replaced will make the work harder, and will cost more.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't do anything until I actually had a leak. Silicone can shrink and get hard in time, once it starts shrinking the water will get behind it and won't be able to drain properly which will cause a leak in itself or a rust issue.

Last edited:

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does the flowable stay somewhat soft like silicone does? The flowable makes logical sense, but will it release if the glass has to be replaced?
I have often thought of doing this, because the brake light leaked. But, it is garaged and seldom sits out in the rain needlessly.
It looks like regular clear RTV out of a tube, just not as thick. It should be no harder to remove than a glass adhesive.
How ever, I would not use it on the brake light or the shark fin.

Muggman

Reaction score
I did my window with the flow able one, used 2 tubes and did it in 2 sessions. I masked off the window and body and squeezed it in across the whole top of window, then with a popsicle stick put it in the gap at an angle and smooth all the way across, let that dry and repeat the next day. It has a nice layer sealing across the window which you don't see because of the window lip..and mind you my window leaked but not anymore and i also resealed my 3rd light just incase

jkm312

Reaction score
I did my window with the flow able one, used 2 tubes and did it in 2 sessions. I masked off the window and body and squeezed it in across the whole top of window, then with a popsicle stick put it in the gap at an angle and smooth all the way across, let that dry and repeat the next day. It has a nice layer sealing across the window which you don't see because of the window lip..and mind you my window leaked but not anymore and i also resealed my 3rd light just incase
I've always been taught that if it isn't broken, don't fix it. We took it on a two week trip last fall and it sat out in 4 really good rains, didn't leak. After reading thru the all the thoughts here I will leave it alone and follow my own teaching.
If it does leak, I can repair it as you have described. It makes sense. Hope this is the last of your troubles with the issue.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've always been taught that if it isn't broken, don't fix it. We took it on a two week trip last fall and it sat out in 4 really good rains, didn't leak. After reading thru the all the thoughts here I will leave it alone and follow my own teaching.
If it does leak, I can repair it as you have described. It makes sense. Hope this is the last of your troubles with the issue.
If it's not broke don't fix it but if you think it might break why not prevent that.
Want to ruin your rear seats\headliner and spend hundreds\thousands replacing it if\when it does go?

Do you keep tires with no tread until they pop while driving on the highway, or replace them to prevent further cost expenditure.

For $20 if I was concerned about a problem I would just seal it.
Just don't make it look like crap.

Also here is one of several threads of people with the problem

Last edited:

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It looks like regular clear RTV out of a tube, just not as thick. It should be no harder to remove than a glass adhesive.
How ever, I would not use it on the brake light or the shark fin.

As soon as it warms up, I'm going to seal the upper corners of my rear window. Did you fill the entire channel with flowable silicone like the guy in the video below? It doesn't appear that it's necessary. You said that you used foam, about an inch below the corners, to keep the silicone from running too far down the sides. Did you put a little grease on the foam so you could remove them after the silicone dries?

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Flowable silicone below the brake light were the cracks happen and both corners of the window. 3 years and zero issues

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had one crack over the slider and now a second on the other side of the slider. Not leaking from the cracks but since I got the second crack I have a leak all the way over on the passenger side corner so not sure if the winow frame is now warped and the seal has lifted on that side of the window but I'm thinking I would have to seal all the way across the window not just the center portion.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had one crack over the slider and now a second on the other side of the slider. Not leaking from the cracks but since I got the second crack I have a leak all the way over on the passenger side corner so not sure if the winow frame is now warped and the seal has lifted on that side of the window but I'm thinking I would have to seal all the way across the window not just the center portion.
Probably leaking in by crack, but traveling down to corner.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As soon as it warms up, I'm going to seal the upper corners of my rear window. Did you fill the entire channel with flowable silicone like the guy in the video below? It doesn't appear that it's necessary. You said that you used foam, about an inch below the corners, to keep the silicone from running too far down the sides. Did you put a little grease on the foam so you could remove them after the silicone dries?

Went from drivers side corner to little past passenger side of the slider.
The foam, I forgot about it, it is still there. It is black so don't even see it.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Don't fix if not broken? If that is the case, we shouldn't change our oil or any fluids.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread