5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Privacy - how to disable GPS reporting, monitoring?

Rich

Reaction score
These days a some people are concerned about their privacy.

Cell phones have GPS, yet have a way to disable the detailed monitoring and reporting of your position.

Now our 2019 RAM 1500s with GPS and UConnect have features which allow your vehicle's position to be remotely monitored and/or reported.

Has anyone found a setting in the Uconnect, or dashboard that allows this remote reporting to be disabled?

Also, the truck has built in 'black box' features which can preserve data for future use (it's mentioned in the owner's manual). Does this data include GPS positional information? If so, can this also be disabled if desired?

Can the built in cell services be disabled so someone can't triangulate your position using cell towers? Or is there some way to remove the cell SIM card/chip?

This is for informational and discussion purposes only to learn some of the tech in our vehicles. Please let's not get into 'tin foil hat' discussions. If you don't care that someone else can track your moves, then no need to chime in. Although I do find it interesting that in other parts of the world (Europe, etc.) they are very concerned about end user privacy, yet those of us in the USA don't seem to care too much about it as long as our cell phones work. LOL

So for the sake of discussion and knowledge about the technology in these new vehicles, is there a way to 'opt out' of this monitoring or reporting ability of our vehicles?

Obviously one could remove the GPS module and/or the cell modules (and lose some functionality) for those that are very concerned, but that's a drastic measure.

Chris

Reaction score
Many would-be thieves are listening intently to this thread for a simple way to bypass theft deterrence.

Rich

Reaction score
There's ups and downs to everything! ;)

Hdh67

Reaction score
This pretty old but I just got a5th gen and I want all this removed. If anyone know anything about it, please let me know.

Drewster

Reaction score
This pretty old but I just got a5th gen and I want all this removed. If anyone know anything about it, please let me know.
Pull the fuse for your infotainment system

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Just get a 1980s RAM. Problem solved.

Then... you will have to:

• Dump your cell phone
  • Stop browsing the internet, reading email, send/receive texts
  • Quit using credit cards
Etc, etc, etc.

You're welcome.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just get a 1980s RAM. Problem solved.

Then... you will have to:

• Dump your cell phone
  • Stop browsing the internet, reading email, send/receive texts
  • Quit using credit cards
Etc, etc, etc.

You're welcome.
Might be a good thing, especially if you are doing the 2nd bullet item while driving.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Easy way decline it all and never activate it.

Also ALWAYS use your second home in California.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just a heads up for others trying to limit knowledge of their location, I think all 5th gen Rams have a GPS. I have a non NAV 8.4 and there is an option for the clock "Set to GPS time"

Users who are viewing this thread