5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pricing & Planning a Winter / Summer Tire & Wheel Set for Fuel Efficiency

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
(There are some of us out here who want the best fuel economy) :)

I run Winter tires (snowflake stamp) on all of my cars from October 1st - May 1st up here in Northern New Hampshire. We're a huge fan of the Blizzak line of tires but we have cars now so LM-32/WS-80 are top choices. I also like the road feel of the Michelin X-Ice. Summer time, we run general 'summer' tires on 3 of the cars (not all seasons) and my weekend sport car I run Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for the last 3 years.

On a RAM Limited, it's going to come with 22" Night Edition wheels, I plan on running the OEM tires from delivery until October then switching over to a Winter set. Mount & balance adds up so I'd prefer to buy a 'winter set'

1. Can I run a 17" wheel on the Limited?
2. What snow-flake rated tire has the least rolling resistance? I care less about longevity than overall MPG
3. Generally, what do you guys like?
4. I'm looking for an equally efficient replacement tire for my 22" OEM wheels for the May - October months, I may be able to stretch that tire to be April - November if it can handle cold temps and snow dusting.
5. Will my 2nd set of wheels need TPMS sensors? Our German cars use ABS speed sensors for TPMS as in the hub to wheel speed is compared in real time to detect low tire pressure and so you don't need TPMS sensors but it's my understanding RAM does?
6. I'd like to buy from Tire Rack I think so that I can get the TPMS & Mount and balance all done and they just ship them to my door and I install them in my driveway with the lift & breaker bar / torque wrench. Any other vendors do this and have a better selection?
7. I will be doing no off-road driving but about 25% of my local drive is on dirt & gravel roads. Our roads are maintained by the state and can be loose & fun at times around the corners so 100% touring tires aren't exactly what I need but 95% of miles will be pavement.

Thank you in advance.

PS: Truck will be Patriot Blue + Night Edition so I'd like to avoid chrome wheels and do grey/black if I can and none of that fake bead lock look :p

GTLimited

Reaction score
I'm a bit in the same boat as you are and new to the truck world. I observe that a lot of truck owners, especially ones who post online go the AT tire route as it can be a decent all season option, and gives a more aggressive look to the truck.

I'm not 100% convinced of this based on past experiences so when mine arrives, I plan on sticking to what I know and running dedicated winters. These 2 get great reviews: Defender LTX M/S on the OEM 20" wheel, and X-Ice Snow on OEM 18" steelies powdercoated black. One criteria for me that I look for in a wheel is it fitting on the truck without a hub centering ring. I haven't found an aftermarket one out there and I actually don't mind the look of the steelies for winter use.

Users who are viewing this thread