5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pricing on a new build

Bulldawg23

Reaction score
Hello all, I’ve been searching for almost 2 months and I can’t find the exact truck I’m wanting so I’m leaning toward starting the build process. I’ve talked to one dealer about it so far and he said they could only do $245 off MSRP and then whatever Ram incentives will be going on the month that it’s ready. I’ve seen where some people talk about starting with the invoice price and negotiate from there. With everything going on and the current shortage, am I likely to even have a shot at getting them to come down to invoice? This will be my first time buying a brand new vehicle so I’m trying to research as much as I can to get the best deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

UDCentaur

Reaction score
$245 off MSRP is...basically MSRP...you need find another dealer. Yes, the so called "invoice" price would be a good place to start. NADA guides has information on how to calculate the invoice price. Just remember, the dealers hold back 2-3% I believe of MSRP, so although that's a small percentage, it's money for them.

Reviewing this forum and the other Ram forums...20% off MSRP (dealer discount and rebates) is a good goal.

ericd

Reaction score
^^^
You have the same negotiating power on a new build as you would of one sitting on a lot. You shouldn't be anywhere near MSRP. When I built my last truck I negotiated a good deal. Then when I went to pick it up the incentives were $1000 higher so that extra $1000 came off as well.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you are getting bad numbers (like you got) then either expand your area to look in or just w a i t.

Now is not a particularly good time with dealer stocks low, late summer likely will be better as factories churn more trucks out and the supply chain gets back to something like normal, plus there’s the traditional 4th of July sale-a-thons and the like, happens every year.

Anytime you want a truck optioned very differently than the standard “lot buy“ you need to order. For example, even something as small as getting an e-locker on a Big Horn or Laramie is a tough find now. This week I was looking for a member and out of 12 Laramies on the lot at a local dealer, all 12 were anti-spin, plus he wanted an ORG and that was a strikeout as well.

Like others have said, you’ll get either the better of the incentives at the time you order or when it comes in. Since incentives for May are not so great, at least wait till June’s come out.

Bulldawg23

Reaction score
Yeah i'm going to see how June looks. I talked with one dealer today who said they go off the incentives for the month whenever the truck is delivered? I let him know I had an affiliates code and tried to see what else he could come off of that and he said they can't take anything else off when the affiliate program is used. Although i know that's a lie because i see people saying they get well below that. I'm just new to this as this will only be the 2nd time i've ever bought a vehicle on my own and the 1st time buying a brand new one so my negotiation skills are lacking. I'm going to call a couple more dealers tomorrow and see what i find out. I also have one i reached out to via email that is supposed to get back with me tomorrow. I was also told the wait time on a build will be roughly 120 days give or take. Although the wait will suck, it'll be worth it in the end i hope!

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yeah i'm going to see how June looks. I talked with one dealer today who said they go off the incentives for the month whenever the truck is delivered? I let him know I had an affiliates code and tried to see what else he could come off of that and he said they can't take anything else off when the affiliate program is used. Although i know that's a lie because i see people saying they get well below that. I'm just new to this as this will only be the 2nd time i've ever bought a vehicle on my own and the 1st time buying a brand new one so my negotiation skills are lacking. I'm going to call a couple more dealers tomorrow and see what i find out. I also have one i reached out to via email that is supposed to get back with me tomorrow. I was also told the wait time on a build will be roughly 120 days give or take. Although the wait will suck, it'll be worth it in the end i hope!
I said to someone else contemplating buy now/soon or order that the main thing for ordering is getting exactly what you want right down to the smallest details instead of what the dealer thinks will sell the fastest. Unless the buyer is simply seeking “transportation”, being able to special order and ensure that you get the nice to have options is certainly worth some amount of $$.

Bulldawg23

Reaction score
I said to someone else contemplating buy now/soon or order that the main thing for ordering is getting exactly what you want right down to the smallest details instead of what the dealer thinks will sell the fastest. Unless the buyer is simply seeking “transportation”, being able to special order and ensure that you get the nice to have options is certainly worth some amount of $$.
I agree! I've seen a few options close to what I'm wanting, but there's always something missing. And I've had a dealer try and push me to settle for one. But I have my build sheet printed and saved on my computer and phone and I'm sticking to it! My 2013 is still doing just fine so I can get by with waiting.

Scrambler

Reaction score
In talking with a Chevy dealer and also the Ram dealer where I bought both my trucks, each one said if you have the luxury, the best incentives in a normal year are June thru August. Contrary to that, I bought mine in December when the Ram still had the employee pricing going on. My Ram dealer mentioned that the FCA wanted to insure they out sold Chevy

UDCentaur

Reaction score

Whoa - 120 days??? Who said that? I was thinking 10-12 weeks for a new build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cuppedup

Reaction score
Whoa - 120 days??? Who said that? I was thinking 10-12 weeks for a new build.

I contacted several ram dealerships, including GMC. I was told by several that since the factories had shut down during the height of covid, they are backed up and need to catch up on previous orders/builds going to dealer lots, therefore there is a longer wait. Some are still saying 10-12 weeks however I’m leaning towards the longer wait.

Cuppedup

Reaction score
I’m looking for something particular myself and haven’t been able to find it so I’m actually waiting to see what gets dealt out to dealers with factories reopening. (White CC bighorn with sport package, 5.7L, 4x4 with LSD and 3.21 gearing). Haven’t been able to find what I’m looking for in the mid $30K price range but I’m guessing with dealers soon to be receiving new stock, there might be better deals out there in the next few months. New or used...

UDCentaur

Reaction score
Yeah - I feel like I’ve noticed a few Rams in transit while searching over the last couple of days. Maybe they are ones that were previously done but were stuck at shipyard.

Bulldawg23

Reaction score
Yeah one dealer is saying I'd be looking around September to October. I've been going back and forth all day today with 4 different dealers and I'm getting nowhere near the good deals I'm seeing most people talk about on here. Do yall think it's just the time we're in right now? Or my location possibly? I'm in MS but have reached out to dealers in TX and LA so far. I'd be getting the FCA Affiliate pricing and everyone one of them is saying they can't take anything else off of that price. I'm still pushing back on 3 of them and waiting to hear back, but it doesn't sound promising.

Users who are viewing this thread